The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > SEVEN - CHECK OUT HERE - 2015 - Readathon Six - December 5th, 2015 - 8 AM ON DECEMBER 6TH - FINAL CHECKOUT - THIS IS CHECKPOINT SEVEN - WHICH IS CHECKOUT - LAST STOP - MANDATORY FOR TOTALS - FINAL TALLIES - MANDATORY CHECKPOINT - ONLY CHECK OUT THREAD

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 05, 2015 04:43AM) (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
2015 - Readathon Six Date: December 5th, 2015 - FINISH TIME 8AM ON DECEMBER 6TH WHEREVER YOU ARE GLOBALLY) - THIS IS THE CHECKOUT THREAD

We hope you had a good time at the Readathon. CHECK-OUT IS HERE.

a) Please list the books completed if any and genres and how many pages in the book that you read during the readathon. Only pages read during the readathon itself count towards the readathon page total but the book when completed (if during the readathon) can count towards books completed. This is the tally thread for all of the checkpoint segments. Tally and list books and authors where you have read any pages.

b) Let us know the books you read or are reading - start and finish pages and genre.
You can read 10 books if you like - if you want to read them each a little bit at a time that is also allowed but you must let us know your start and end pages and all of the book details. Also tally them up here on the checkout thread.

c) How much time did you read total during the 24 hour readathon? This is the tally thread for all of your checkpoints in the readathon.

d) List all of the books completed over the total readathon - citations please - title and author.

e) Tally all of your pages read and how much total time did you read and how many pages

f) Let us know your timezone and location.

So here is an example:

a) Completed one book: The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott - Genre - Historical Fiction - read all 482 pages for readathon. Total time spend reading during the readathon was 7 hours or all 24 hours or 1 hour.

The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

Genre was historical fiction.

Metro NYC - Eastern Standard Time

or

b) Completed one book: The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott - Genre - Historical Fiction - read all 482 pages for readathon.

The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

Metro NYC - Eastern Standard Time

and started the next book

b) The Day of the Scorpion - Genre - Historical Fiction - read from 1 - page 200 - have not completed book yet.

Paul Scott by Paul Scott The Day of the Scorpion (The Raj Quartet, #2) by Paul Scott

or

b) The Day of the Scorpion - Genre - Historical Fiction - read from 1 - page 200 - have not completed book yet.

Paul Scott by Paul Scott The Day of the Scorpion (The Raj Quartet, #2) by Paul Scott

Note: In all of these instances - there are totals and stats being counted.

First we will make a list of books completed during the readathon even if the book had already been started before the readathon - if you finished the book finally during the readathon they count to that total, then second, we count the total number of pages read during the readathon, and then we count and list all of the different books started during the readathon, and finally the different genres read during the readathon and what these genres were with a count. And then your location and timezone.

We will also list all of the proud participants in each History Book Club Readathon.

Congrats.

FOLKS FROM THE PREVIOUS READATHON WE HAVE COME UP WITH THE SIMON TEMPLATE CREATED BY ONE OF OUR ADMINS - IT MAKES THINGS EASIER - JUST DO IT LIKE HE DID - HERE IS THE SAMPLE:

Here is what Simon did for his checkout and I think this is a pretty compact way of doing your tallies if you have not already done them. This is the MANDATORY CHECK OUT THREAD.

I replicated his post here:

The Nixon Defense What He Knew and When He Knew It by John W. Dean by John W. Dean John W. Dean

Final Tally - 105 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading 2.45 hours
Genres: Non fiction and Politics - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 2 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 0
Total Number of Books in Progress - 1

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

We will give you until Noon on DECEMBER 6TH to complete your check-out but all reading needs to be completed (that will count in the DECEMBER 5TH readathon 24 hour period) no later than DECEMBER 6TH, 2015 (at your 8AM) wherever you are in the world.

For example, in some parts of the world folks would be starting the readathon on our DECEMBER 4TH which could be 24 hours before our start time on December 5th but if they want to participate they must also complete their 24 hour period when we start on our DECEMBER 5TH start time at 8AM which probably in Asia is their nighttime.

This would be due to the international date line in the case of New Zealand or nighttime in the case of other parts of the world like India. We have included the time line thread for all. If you have any questions - just ask - we are here to help you.

In Europe for example if you are in the UK - you could start at your 8AM on DECEMBER 5TH which is 5 hours ahead of us but then you have to end at your 8AM on DECEMBER 6TH even though we in the US on the East Coast have 5 hours more to go.

On the West Coast you do not have to get up at 5AM to start with us at 8AM on the East Coast. Just use your 8AM as the start time on DECEMBER 5TH and end at your 8AM on DECEMBER 6TH

And finally - the next Readathon after the completion of the December 5th one is - in 2016.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 05, 2015 02:50PM) (new)

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James by Henry James Henry James

Final Tally: 29
Total Time Reading: 1 hour
Genres: Fiction, Mystery
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 1
Total Number of Books Completed: 1
Total Number of Books in Progress: 0

Yes! Finished it!

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Marietta from Malaysia - hey way to go.

message 5: by Michele (last edited Dec 05, 2015 06:58PM) (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 1043 comments Going to do my final check out a bit early. I'm done reading and I have a busy day planned for tomorrow. If I don't check out now, I'll probably forget to do it!

Book in process:
Masters of the Air
Masters of the Air America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany by Donald L. Miller by Donald L. Miller Donald L. Miller

Final Tally: Total pages 275 (all books)
Total Time Reading: 3 hours 45 min.
Genres: Non fiction, History, WII, American Aerial operations
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 3 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 1

Completed book:
Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty
Magna Carta The Birth of Liberty by Dan Jones by Dan Jones Dan Jones

Another great readathon!

message 6: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Final check out:

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire by Jamie McGuire Jamie McGuire

Letters from Mexico by Hernán Cortés by Hernán Cortés Hernán Cortés

Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell by Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Gaskell

Final Tally - 435 pages read
Total Time Reading 12 hours 20 min
Genres: Non fiction and History - 1
YA romance - 1
Classic British fiction - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 6 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 2

I've broken my own record this time! It's around my usual 12 hours BUT first time I use all six check-ins and the check out. :) :) :)

message 7: by Jill (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:18PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I didn't do so well this time, darn it. Checking out.

Fooling Houdini Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of the Mind by Alex Stone by Alex Stone Alex Stone

Final Tally: Total pages 203
Total Time Reading: 5 hours
Genres: Non fiction, Magic
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 3 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 0

message 8: by Gyoza (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments Can't keep my eyes open anymore, so I'm checking out.

I read Journal d'un curé de campagne by Georges Bernanos by Georges Bernanos Georges Bernanos

Start Page: 162
Finish Page: 254
Final Tally: 92
Total Time Reading: 5 hours
Genres: Fiction, Early 20th Century Literature
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 2
Total Number of Books Competed: 1
Total Number of Books in Progress: 0

message 9: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch by Oliver Pötzsch Oliver Pötzsch
One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner
Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiaverini by Jennifer Chiaverini Jennifer Chiaverini
Final Tally: Total pages 347
Total Time Reading: 12 hours
Genres: Non-Fiction and Historical Fiction
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 5 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 2

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner
Pauline Perspectives Essays on Paul, 1978-2013 by N.T. Wright by N.T. Wright N.T. Wright
The Conquering Tide War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 by Ian W. Toll by Ian W. Toll Ian W. Toll
Kissinger Vol 1 The Idealist, 1923-1968 by Niall Ferguson by Niall Ferguson Niall Ferguson
Final Tally: 354 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading: Approx. 13 hours, 30 minutes
Genres: Biography, History, Religion/New Testament- 3
Total Checkpoints Utilized: 5 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 4
Total Number of Books in Progress - 0

message 11: by Donna (last edited Dec 06, 2015 05:12AM) (new)

Donna (drspoon) The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith by Robert Galbraith Robert Galbraith (completed)
Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2) by Elizabeth George by Elizabeth George Elizabeth George(in progress)
Total time reading: 2.5 hours
Total pages read: 135
Genres: Crime Fiction
Total checkpoints used: 3 checkpoints and 1 checkout
Books completed: 1
Books in progress: 1
Pennsylvania, USA, EST

message 12: by CandyBeans (new)

CandyBeans | 87 comments Orientalism by Edward W. Said by Edward W. Said Edward W. Said

Why Buddha Touched the Earth Zen Paganism for the 21st Century by Tom Swiss by Tom Swiss Tom Swiss

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman Neil Gaiman

Final Tally - 164 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading - 2.5 hours
Genres: Non fiction, Fiction, Religion, History, Fantasy - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilised - 3 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout
Total Number of Books in Progress - 2

message 13: by Karen (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:37AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) Final Check out:
A Brief History of Central America by Héctor Pérez-Brignoli by Héctor Pérez-Brignoli (no photo)

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut by Kurt Vonnegut Kurt Vonnegut
Final Tally - 393 pages read
Total Time Reading 9 hours and 45 minutes
Genres: History and Fiction
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 5 Checkpoints and 1 Checkout

Thank you Bentley for all the work you have done.

message 14: by Helga (last edited Dec 06, 2015 07:06AM) (new)

Helga Cohen (hcohen) | 591 comments Final Checkout
One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner

The Pope and Mussolini The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David I. Kertzer by David I. Kertzer (no photo)

Encounters at the Heart of the World A History of the Mandan People by Elizabeth A. Fenn by Elizabeth A. Fenn (no photo) (In progress)

Final tally - 377 pages
Total time - 8.5 hours
Genre: Non-fiction, history
Total checkpoints Utilized: 4 plus checkout
Total number books completed - 2
Total number books in progress - 1

message 15: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Soldat Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949 by Siegfried Knappe by Siegfried Knappe (no photo)

The Pope and Mussolini The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David I. Kertzer by David I. Kertzer (no photo)

Big Girls Don't Cry The Election that Changed Everything for American Women by Rebecca Traister by Rebecca Traister Rebecca Traister

Final Tally: 345 pages (all books)
Total Time Reading: 9 hours and 15 minutes
Genres: WWII History, Native American History, and Politics - 3
Total Checkpoints Utilized - 4 Checkpoints and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Competed - 3

message 16: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice I want to give Bentley a big thanks for all the work he put into the readathons throughout this year. It has been great fun and so much reading around the world was quite inspiring. I look forward to doing it again next year. Happy Holidays to all our fantastic reading members around the world.

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Final tally. I didn't expect to spend the day car shopping yesterday, so I didn't have much time to participate.

Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Genre: Classics
Total pages read: page 132 to 180
Total time read: 2 hours
Pages read: 48
Books completed? none

message 18: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3822 comments Mod
Final checkout

Idiopathy by Sam Byers by Sam Byers (no photo)

Final Tally - 310 pages
Total Time Reading - 6 hrs 20 min
Genres: Fiction - 1
Total Checkpoints Utilized – Checkpoints 1-4 and One Checkout
Total Number of Books Completed - 1
Total Number of Books in Progress - 0

I'm really happy to have completely read another book during a Readathon. This is my plan for subsequent Readathons – an interesting fiction book about 300 pages long. That seems to be do-able in the time frame.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (iowareader) | 129 comments Jerusalem The Biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore by Simon Sebag Montefiore Simon Sebag Montefiore
Genre: History -Middle East
Start page: ?(not available) Kindle loc 6393 of 16710,
Read to loc 7864
tally 1471 loc
Time Read: 9:48 - 12:30pm

Not sure this will count as I had trouble entering my book shelf --will try to get it right in 2016.

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Becky and all other participants.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.