Great African Reads discussion

Great African Reads: Books > African Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) I'm reading a collection of Northern African Short Stories at the moment called Sardines and Oranges and really enjoying all the various stories. I have also read some of Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie's short stories online. I was just wondering if anyone else reads African short stories and if they have any recommendations?

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 207 comments If you want really contemporary African short stories, you can try the Caine prize website http://www.caineprize.com/ which has the shortlist for the 2009 prize. You can read the stories online. Copies of previous years' collections are available from http://www.newint.org/publications/fi... (there are about three different volumes). Ama Ataa Aidoo also edited a volume entitled "African love stories" which you can either order from the publisher, Ayebia Clarke, or presumably through other booksellers. And of course there is always the staple of the African Writers Series which has several short story collections; probably available in Africa, but I am not so sure about elsewhere. You did mention Adichie, and her latest book is actually a collection of short stories.

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) the Adichie book is reserved at the library. Thanks for your ideas, you've given me a lot to check out

message 4: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 162 comments Nina wrote: "If you want really contemporary African short stories, you can try the Caine prize website http://www.caineprize.com/ which has the shortlist for the 2009 prize. You can read the stories online. ..."

I should get the Adichie short stories any day now and look forward to reading them. Thanks for reminding me of the Caine Prize website and the reference to previous year's collection. Adichie had published two books, right? One of African short stories and one of her own stories.

message 5: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 207 comments Actually Adichie has written two novels: "Purple hibiscus" and "Half of a yellow sun", plus her latest is a collection of short stories, entitled "The thing around your neck". There are also some other stories which have been published on the web, but I can't bring the links to mind right away. Enjoy

message 6: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 162 comments Nina wrote: "Actually Adichie has written two novels: "Purple hibiscus" and "Half of a yellow sun", plus her latest is a collection of short stories, entitled "The thing around your neck". There are also some..."

I read "Half A Yellow Sun" some while back and enjoyed it a lot. I have "Purple Hibiscus" on my shelf waiting to be read. I read a couple of Adichie's short stories and liked them so much that I ordered the latest book.

message 7: by Friederike (last edited Aug 08, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 162 comments Nina wrote: "Actually Adichie has written two novels: "Purple hibiscus" and "Half of a yellow sun", plus her latest is a collection of short stories, entitled "The thing around your neck". There are also some..."

I read "Half A Yellow Sun" some while back and enjoyed it a lot. I have "Purple Hibiscus" on my shelf waiting to be read. I read a couple of
Adichie's short stories and liked them so much that I ordered the latest book.

When I was referring to two books, I didn't mean her novels but two collections of short stories. One is her own the other a collection of short stories that she edited.
One World A Global Anthology of Short Stories

message 8: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 162 comments Katrina wrote: "I'm reading a collection of Northern African Short Stories at the moment called Sardines and Oranges and really enjoying all the various stories. I have also read some of Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie's..."

Nadine Gordimer has published several short story collections. You might be interested in these. I read one of them and found the stories very intriguing. Loot and Other Stories

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 207 comments Friederike wrote: "Nina wrote: "Actually Adichie has written two novels: "Purple hibiscus" and "Half of a yellow sun", plus her latest is a collection of short stories, entitled "The thing around your neck". There ..."

Ooops, sorry... I think I have seen mention of the anthology you mentioned, though I haven't got it - yet!

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments Does anybody remember a Nadine Gordimer short story that was about an English couple that retired to Italy? It was in one of her fairly recent collections, but I want to share it with a friend and can't seem to relocate it. Thanks!