Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Marie | 9 comments Has anyone else read it? It is pretty tame by today's standards, but I can see how shocking it would be to perform!

message 2: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Nope, was this mentioned in an Austen book? Maybe Mansfield Park? I feel like I've read about it somewhere recently, but can't quite place it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Pink wrote: "Nope, was this mentioned in an Austen book? Maybe Mansfield Park? I feel like I've read about it somewhere recently, but can't quite place it."

Isn't it the play they decide to put on in Mansfield Park?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments "Lovers Vows" is the play attempted in "Mansfield Park."

A couple of people in one of the GR JA groups in involved with read it out of curiosity since it was mentioned in "Mansfield Park." They wanted to read for themselves why the play was deemed as "scandalous" 200 years ago.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Marie | 9 comments I'm sorry, I forgot to mention where it was from. But I really like it for itself, despite the melodrama. It is an easy read. I can see why it would be scandalous. I just wonder how Austen came to know it so well? She must have seen it performed. Maybe she just saw it in a book? Either way,she used a real play, that many would know. So the scandal must be in the performance of it not the play in itself.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Makes it intriguing to read. I'm always interested in reading books that are mentioned in other books.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I guess I didn't realize Lover's Vows was a real play! I definitely want to read it now. I also want to read The Mysteries of Udolpho after reading Northanger Abbey.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Same!

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Marie | 9 comments Christine wrote: "I guess I didn't realize Lover's Vows was a real play! I definitely want to read it now. I also want to read The Mysteries of Udolpho after reading Northanger Abbey."

I tried mysteries of udolpho. Could not get past the first page. The language was perhaps too difficult for a non-native english speaker.

message 10: by Nente (new)

Nente | 779 comments As far as I understood from Mansfield Park, the scandal was that gentlewomen performed parts not suitably "delicate"; didn't read the play, but thought one of the heroines must have had an illegitimate son or something like that.