The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > FOUR - 2015 - Readathon Six Date: December 5th, 2015 - 8PM - Midnight - Check-In - CHECKPOINT FOUR - FOURTH CHECK IN

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 05, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
2015 - Readathon Six Date: December 5th 2015 - 8PM - Midnight - Check-In - THIS IS CHECK IN FOUR

Please let us know who is reading during these this period of time.

Let us know the following:

Name of Book and Author:
Genre:
Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period.
Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.
How much time did you read:
Did you complete any books - name of book and author
What time zone and location are you in:

So for example:

The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott
The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott - Genre: Historical Fiction - pages start 1 - finish 80

If you finished a book - let us know that too and make sure to get it added to your readathon shelf so you can get credit for it. If it is added properly it will show up on your shelf. You have to make sure to have selected a readathon shelf and when you are done with the first book for your readathon - make sure to add the completed date and that the book is read versus currently reading.

It will show up on your shelf if you have done this properly.

Remember wherever you are you can participate in the readathon.

And if you only have one hour or four hours or plan to do this for the entire 24 hour period taking of course breaks for eating and sleeping - you can join for however long you want to read. We want to keep track of the books completed, the books started, the books in progress, the number of pages read by all, and the different genres. Great fun and this is only the fifth readathon - we will use the same readathon challenge for all of them so you can see your readathon shelves grow.

Additionally these books that you complete on the readathon can be added to other shelves for the Japan or India challenge or the 2015 50 Books Challenge or the goodreads yearly challenge - the sky is the limit. Any genre is welcome.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Remember folks this is the check in for anybody reading during the hours of 8PM until Midnight on December 5th, 2015 (wherever in the world you are - use your time zone). If you want to get credit for any reading done during these four hours you must check in on this thread - Checkpoint 4. But for the check in to count - you must post between the hours of 8PM until Midnight on December 5th in the time zone that you are in. This is the Checkpoint for those hours on December 5th. To get credit for these hours this is the thread and CHECKPOINT you must post on. THIS IS CHECKPOINT 4

REMEMBER AT LEAST ONE CHECK-IN MUST REFLECT THE FOLLOWING TO BE COUNTED IN THE READATHON AND OF COURSE YOU MUST CHECK-OUT AT THE END.

Make sure to answer the following:

Name of Book and Author or books and authors:

Genre or genres:

Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period.

Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.

How much time did you read during this block of time:

Did you complete any books during this time frame and what were they?

Also, your location in the world and timezone

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks everytime we do this we always find folks who want to participate but fail to join and set up their shelves properly so that they can get full credit:

You must join!

Very important:

How To Join In: - Go here first: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Click on the title at the top - The HBC Readathons. Please then join by simply signing in at the bottom and say how many books you plan to read for one or more of the readathon dates - there will be six readathon dates throughout each year; then create your own personal shelf to add the books which you would like to tackle during one readathon or more readathons. That is all there is to it and goodreads will keep track. Become your own marathoner in reading books on the readathon dates and we will keep track of your progress in terms of titles of books, number of books, number of pages, and different genres. Give it a whirl and see how much reading you can get done and take a stab at that big "to be read" pile of books that we all have.

Note: Don't forget to set up your shelf first and then add the name of that shelf here when setting up the challenge for your readathon.

And here are some links to the Readathon folder which will be updated:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Samanta (last edited Dec 05, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Letters from Mexico by Hernán Cortés by Hernán Cortés Hernán Cortés

Genre or genres: Non - fiction, history
Start Page: 265
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 337
Total Pages Read: 72
How much time did you read during this block of time: 2 hours 40 min
Books Complete: 1
What were they?

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire by Jamie McGuire Jamie McGuire

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James by Henry James Henry James

Genre: Fiction, Mystery
Start Page: 92
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 121
Total Pages Read: 29
How much time did you read during this block of time: 1 hour
Books Complete: 1 so far
What were they?
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James by Henry James Henry James

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Marietta and Samanta - Croatia and Malaysia leading the world. (smile)

message 7: by Karen (last edited Dec 05, 2015 07:11PM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) Checking in.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut by Kurt Vonnegut Kurt Vonnegut

Genre: fiction
Start page: 1
End page: 76
Checkpoint time: 8:00 PM - Midnight
Pages read for this checkpoint: 76
Total pages read for all checkpoints 300
Time read: 1:45
Books completed: 1
A Brief History of Central America by Héctor Pérez-Brignoli by Héctor Pérez-Brignoli (no photo)
Checking out for tonight

message 8: by Francie (last edited Dec 05, 2015 08:53PM) (new)

Francie Grice Hi, everyone. Hope you all are having a great readathon so far. Checking in:

The Pope and Mussolini: The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe

The Pope and Mussolini The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David I. Kertzer by David I. Kertzer (no photo)
Genre or genres: WWII History
Start Page: 370
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 513

Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women

Big Girls Don't Cry The Election that Changed Everything for American Women by Rebecca Traister by Rebecca Traister Rebecca Traister
Genre or genres: Politics
Start Page: 199
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 239

Total Pages Read: 183
How much time did you read during this block of time: 4 hours
Books Complete: Three
What were they?

Soldat Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949 by Siegfried Knappe by Siegfried Knappe (no photo)

Encounters at the Heart of the World A History of the Mandan People by Elizabeth A. Fenn by Elizabeth A. Fenn (no photo)

The Pope and Mussolini The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David I. Kertzer by David I. Kertzer (no photo)

message 9: by Gyoza (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments Checking in again.

Still reading Journal d'un curé de campagne by Georges Bernanos by Georges Bernanos Georges Bernanos

Start Page: 191
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 254
Final Tally: 63
Total Time Reading: 3.5 hours
Genres: Fiction, Early 20th Century Literature
Total Checkpoints Utilised: 2
Total Number of Books Competed: 1
Total Number of Books in Progress: 0

message 10: by Teri (last edited Dec 05, 2015 10:04PM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner
Genre: Non-Fiction
Start page: 282
Finish page: 323
Total pages: 41
Time spent: 1.5 hours
Location & TZ: Helotes, TX, USA, CST
Completed book(s) Y/N: Y
One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner

message 11: by Helga (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Helga Cohen (hcohen) | 591 comments Checkpoint 4.

Genre Non-fiction, history
Pages read 380-513
Total pages 133
Time reading 1.5 hours
Location EST, SC
Completed book. Y

Encounters at the Heart of the World A History of the Mandan People by Elizabeth A. Fenn by Elizabeth A. Fenn (no photo)
Genre: Non-fiction, Native American History
Pages read: 260-315
Time spent reading 2 hrs
Location EST, SC
Completed book N

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) Checking out, please see message 7

message 13: by Kristen (last edited Dec 06, 2015 08:00AM) (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Genre: Classics
Pages read: page 180 to
Time read: --
Pages read: --
Book completed? no

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments I'm back from dinner and dessert and ready to knock down one more book on the way to meeting my Readathon goal. Here's where I'm starting from:

Name of Book and Author: Kissinger Vol 1 The Idealist, 1923-1968 by Niall Ferguson by Niall Ferguson Niall Ferguson
Genre or genres: Biography/Cold War History
Start page: 731
Finish page:
Total number of Pages Read: 206 pages
How much time did you read during this block of time: 0 minutes.
How much time did you read in total: Approx. 7 hours, 31 minute.
Location & Time Zone: Southern California, PST.
Completed books: One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner; Pauline Perspectives Essays on Paul, 1978-2013 by N.T. Wright by N.T. Wright N.T. Wright; The Conquering Tide War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 by Ian W. Toll by Ian W. Toll Ian W. Toll.

message 15: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3835 comments Mod
Completed my goal, to finish another book during a Readathon.

Idiopathy by Sam Byers by Sam Byers (no photo)
Genre: Fiction
Pages read: 287-310
Number of pages: 23
Time frame: 8:00-8:20
Reading time: 20 min
Books completed: 1

I’ve finished the book I intended to read, so I won’t be reading any more this time. I’ll do the final checkout tomorrow.

message 16: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Checked out (see message 8)

message 17: by Jill (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:05PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Fooling Houdini Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of the Mind by Alex Stone by Alex Stone Alex Stone

Genre: Magic
Start page: 125
Finish page: 206
Number of pages read: 81
Reading time: 2 hr. 15 min.
Books completed: 0

message 18: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) Checked out - msg. 10

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments I'm checking out of this time period. Didn't get nearly as far as I wanted to, but I'm close to finishing my fourth book. Here are the relevant details and I will see you all in the next time period:

Name of Book and Author: Kissinger Vol 1 The Idealist, 1923-1968 by Niall Ferguson by Niall Ferguson Niall Ferguson
Genre or genres: Biography/Cold War History
Start page: 731
Finish page: 821
Total number of Pages Read: 296 pages
How much time did you read during this block of time: 3 hours, 9 minutes.
How much time did you read in total: Approx. 10 hours, 40 minutes.
Location & Time Zone: Southern California, PST.
Completed books: One Man Against the World The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner by Tim Weiner Tim Weiner; Pauline Perspectives Essays on Paul, 1978-2013 by N.T. Wright by N.T. Wright N.T. Wright; The Conquering Tide War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 by Ian W. Toll by Ian W. Toll Ian W. Toll.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2) by Elizabeth George by Elizabeth George Elizabeth George
Genre: Crime Fiction
Start page: 27
Finish page: 45
Total pages read: 18
Total time: 30 minutes
Books finished: 1
Books in progress: 1
Pennsylvania, USA, EST

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.