The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > American Crime Story: The People v O.J Simpson

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 207 comments Is anyone going to check this out? I mean it's not like we don't know what will happen. I find it odd because I thought we as a society were all over the whole O.J thing. Like back in 94' people were fascinated by it and even for years after but now it's done and gone and over with.

Is it necessary to make a series about it? I think any fictional events that never happened that are thrown in would be pointless also I can buy Cuba Gooding Jr as O.j, I just don't see it.

Those are just my thoughts feel free to chime in with your own and whether you plan on watching it.

message 2: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 411 comments I lived through it the first time. I don't need to see the rerun.

message 3: by Portia (new)

Portia I might glance in to see how the actors are doing but you're right. Having it In my face for so long back then, and knowing the ending. Meh.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8600 comments Mod
I wouldn't watch it. No thanks.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 209 comments I live in southern California and yes, the OJ trial punched us in the face 24/7 for nearly a year. Still, I'm enjoying the series, at least so far. There is enough of a different perspective to make it interesting. I like the goings on in the Simpson household and I like the insider look at the DA's office. These were speculated upon during the time but not divulged so intimately. I think the portrayals of Shapiro and Kardashian are new twists.

Hollywood tends to wait on controversial subjects to almost be forgotten before touching them. Films about recent events are just not made. As an example, the recent film about Benghazi might have some contemporary ramifications but the events happened outside of the fast-paced news cycles of today.

Remember when they made a film about the murder of Harvey Milk and the critics talked about how courageous and bold the filmmakers were to make this movie. What's so bold about a movie portraying events from twenty-five years earlier.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 425 comments I'm watching this, I was too young to remember much of what happened

message 7: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments I'm definitely watching this I can't remember a lot of what happened thanks to a dreadful memory

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 209 comments Rhian wrote: "I'm definitely watching this I can't remember a lot of what happened thanks to a dreadful memory"

Want to know how it ends?

message 9: by Franky (new)

Franky | 896 comments I live in California, so I remember this well and how it took over media and the area for the entirety of the case during that summer. Yeah, I'm not sure I want to relive all these moments again. There have been a plethora of documentaries, interviews, etc. for the past twenty odd years, so I think I'll pass on this.

message 10: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments No thanks Ken 9 episodes to go :-)

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments Its not about how it ends. It is about all the mis-steps and maneuvers by both sides of the fence. Sometimes looking back at what went wrong from the distance of time can be a learning moment. Emotions were so high and people were so divided. That is what they are trying to show. It is different than I expected

message 12: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
We're watching and it's fairly interesting. I wasn't riveted to the original trial anyway and am not riveted to this mini-series either, But it is still interesting enough.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 207 comments So I made this thread thinking okay I may check out an episode or two but I gotta say..it's definitely a lot better than I expected. I was 8 when this happened so while I knew what I knew buy finding out through the years I've been quite surprised as some of the things have come to light.

Didn't know Kato Kalin was a stoner hippy hobo living in a shed on O.J's property.

Didn't know Robert Kardashian was so far up O.Js ass.

message 14: by Noorilhuda (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:20AM) (new)

Noorilhuda | 26 comments I remember this trial well - it was the early years of CNN in Pakistan, just off the gulf war and L.A. riots and then bam! in June 94 this happened. I didn't know about O.J. before this but my elder brothers who were studying in U.S. at the time did. Frankly the way that the media covered this particular chapter in American justice system is still relevant - a complete circus with a colorful dubious self-serving cast of characters - it generated so many 'celebrities' and TV analysts. The 24-hour news cycle now cannot generate that kind of malice, divisiveness and popcorn enthusiasm for ANY story, crime or war, and I doubt many would have such a passionate response to any story for as long as they had on this one.

Remember, 'whites' thought he did it, while 'blacks' thought he was framed! And the real crime got lost in the mishaps and crazy social trial.

I've seen 1-2 episodes of the series and everyone is doing a good job in portrayals - but it is still Kardashian-specific and not as well-rounded as a generic 48 Hours Mystery episode.

message 15: by Portia (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:37AM) (new)

Portia I guess by now everyone has heard about the "discovery" of "the murder weapon" this past week. Jeffrey Toobin The Run of His Life : The People versus O. J. Simpson, on which the tv series is based, was on CNN last evening and was given a hard time about having something to do with the "discovery" to get more viewers for the show. ;-)

One thing is true, CNN hasn't changed for the better. Did anyone hear Dana Bash's question to Mrs. Trump after the debate the other night?

message 16: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments I didn't hear the question. I hope it had nothing to do with size.

message 17: by Portia (new)

Portia It was about Trump's hands so, yes, I believe it was :P

To her credit, Melania (sp?) tried to evade.

I heard that the Canadian website that invites people to move there crashed the day after Tuesday's primary. Sigh. Now prices for property will go up ;-)

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 207 comments Well I think the show was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It had people as glued to their tv's than the actual event back in 94.

message 19: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments I've been enjoying watching this but may record the rest of the series as I won a copy of the book so I'd like to read that before watching the last episodes