What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids/YA Paranormal/Fantasy [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (new)

Molly (onthetides) | 2 comments Can't stop thinking about this book; it's driving me crazy!

I know the book is part of a series. I recall reading multiple. Here's what I can remember...

Main character is a young girl. She's a tom boy and loves to skateboard. There's a possibly love interest that she skateboards with. Her older brother Christopher(?) has died but she can see him and talks to him occasionally. Her dad is possibly and inventor and does crazy things. They live in a hotel or apartment and there are tons of weird people she meets. I specifically remember her dad flooding the apartment one week and they all have to travel around on boats in the building. There's an older woman who used to be a princess back in her native country. The back story is she had to come to America for some reason but always goes back to a café where many people from her country go to try and find this boy she left behind. She lived in a palace and treated him horribly, like physically abused him, but they fell in love. In all of this is the paranormal aspect where the main character is learning how to connect with the spirit realm and possibly the former princess is teaching her. This all sounds so strange now that I'm writing it down, but there you go!

I read it back in about 2006-2007 when I was in about the fourth grade.

Any help at all would be appreciated!!

Side note: I'm almost positive the author is male and may or may not be "Mark" something...

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy | 12 comments Sounds likethe Olivia Kidney books I read when I was younger. I read the third one and -SPOILER the princess was getting married in it-SPOILER, so you may be talking about the first one or the second. Here is the first one Olivia Kidney and the second Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy
They were by Ellen Potter, female and not Mark, but the description you gave matches it word-for-word otherwise.

message 3: by Molly (new)

Molly (onthetides) | 2 comments That's it! I recognized the cover immediately! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm not sure where I got Mark lol. I really appreciate your help though!