History is Not Boring discussion

Russian History and the Romanovs

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My interest in Russian history is a fairly recent interest of mine. I have been a World War II junkie for some time, and have spent a lot of time reading it. I stumbled onto the story of Tsar Nicholas II and Alexandra and I fell in love with the story. It had everything and "good story" could possible have. Love, betrayal, crazy mystics, revolution, crime, passion, and the murder of star crossed lovers -- and their family. Ok, at least that is the way it seemed on the first book, even though that is the fantasized version. I have since done a lot of reading -- but I always thought I was a little strange for this interest. I am currently reading a book titled The Fate of the Romanovs -- and I am only about a hundred pages into, but I am really impressed with how the author has handled this one. He doesn't deal so much with the Rominovs, but bases it on the surrounding happenings in the Revolution -- and how it impacted on the Romanovs. I will have to keep you update as I progress through this book. Any other suggestions for reading in this area, I would appreciate.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) This has also been an interest of mine since I was a kid. Just fascinating to read about. They also have some good shows about them on the history channel too.

Have you done any reading about Rasputin?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Funny you should mention that. It was actually a book called "The Rasputin File" that first introduced me to the whole story. You want an interesting book to read -- that is the one. I have it at home, and i just could not put it down. It is based on the investigation file that was kept on Rasputin at the time, that only became public following the fall of communism in Russia. I would highly recommend that book.

message 4: by Jillian (last edited Feb 25, 2008 11:09AM) (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) Rasputin is fascinating. The rumors that were spread and idle gossip. His death is the stuff of legend now.

message 5: by Happyreader (last edited Apr 08, 2008 08:57PM) (new)

Happyreader | 10 comments If you're still interested in reading about the Romanovs, I'd recommend going back earlier in the line and reading Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie. It's a real page-turner - and it won the 1981 Pulizer Prize for biography.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i was hoping that crazy new yorker was anastasia but alas...

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 9 comments I would highly recommend The Flight of the Romanovs: A Family Saga by John Curtis Perry. It's an excellent, basic overview of the Romanovs at the end of their reign. The book starts in the late 1870s or so and goes through the 1950s to 1960s after the family was forced to flee.

Alexandra: The Last Tsarina by Carolly Erickson was pretty decent. There are probably better books about Alexandra and Nicholas, but this is the one I happened to pick up (and I haven't read any others so I don't have anything to compare it to).

I've heard excellent things about that Peter the Great book by Robert Massie. I just bought it, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 9 comments This isn't about the Romanovs, but has anyone read Gulag by Anne Applebaum? It's a book I've had my eye on for a long time, and I was wondering if it was any good.

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera I have a huge appetite for Russian history, and I absolutely love the Romanovs so I've read a number of books about them, particularly Nicholas II and his family. I'll post a list over the weekend, but Peter the Great is amazing! I've also read The Rasputin Files, which is very informative, but I found to be a tad bit dry at times. Still definitely worth the read.

There is a new book out called Rasputin's Daughter. Has anyone read that? Does anyone know whether it historical fiction or non-fiction? If the latter, I think that I would like to check it out.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 9 comments Hee hee Sera, you should just ask Robert in the other group if Rasputin's Daughter is fiction or non-fiction since he wrote it! I'm pretty sure it is historical fiction - I think it's part of that trilogy with The Kitchen Boy and The Romanov Bride.

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera Ah, ok Sara. I'll have to check it out. Thank you for the information!