John Robin's Epic Fantasy Syndicate discussion

Introduce yourself and share what you love about epic fantasy

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 60 comments Mod
If you're new here, please introduce yourself here and say a bit about what you love about epic fantasy and what brings you here to this group.

I'll go first.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am John Robin and I love epic fantasy of all forms, especially tales that are fully immersive and bring a secondary world to life through strong character journeys. I am also an epic fantasy writer and author of Blood Dawn, a fantasy which blends my strongest influences (Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones) with my own unique vision and voice and an in-depth study of story structure through my work as an editor and student of numerous writing craft books.

I here because I am driven not just to write stories, but because I want to connect stories to the readers who will enjoy them. Along the way, I discovered that I'm not alone in this vision and have enjoyed finding ways to bring authors together with readers and to build fun communities in the process.

message 2: by franklet (new)

franklet | 1 comments I'm Franklet. Worshipper of demigods and Care Bears and author of novels so profound they cannot be imagined! Heh.
Beyond the BS... I'm a huge Wheel of Time & LoTR fan - as well as a decently involved GoT fan.
Want to geek out with me? Ask me about my LoTR sequel. You'll be glad you did, until you regret it and spray me with mace.
I love building worlds. I'm constantly in search of a collaborative effort - of a group of like minded people willing to put the time and effort into creating and enjoying an amazingly constructed world.
I write epic fantasy, YA, gay literary fiction, fiction mashups, and really uninspired Amazon reviews.
Looking forward to getting to know you all :)
http://franklet.com/
https://www.inkshares.com/projects/ic...

message 3: by E (new)

E (em166) | 18 comments Hi I'm Kate, I go by K.E. cause I think it looks fancy. I'm the author of Silver Eyes which is currently funding on Inkshares. I'm also working on Silver Eye's sequel, The Rebel Princess, and when I eventually finish that, I'll probably plan on funding that one as well.

I'm a long lived fantasy lover going back over 15 years. I'm an avid fan of Tamora Pierce, Tolkien, Robin McKinnley, and various other authors of fantasy.

I want to help other authors reach their dream of publishing their own fantasy novel.

If you want to check out my novel: https://www.inkshares.com/projects/si...

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Thomas, author of "Exile, Magus", book 1 in a series. Up to the rough draft of book 3 with a mental concept for the flow of book 4 in my head and nothing concrete. I'm both horrible at titles and can't stop writing, both facts you may have guessed from that previous sentence.

What I love about epic fantasy(or any subgenre of fantasy) is hard for me to describe at this point. I've been reading so long that the reasons have just sorted faded into the vaguery of "Becauseland". To try to sum it up though, it would come down to the same reason I'm a fan of sci-fi(big Trekkie here) - I love exploring new worlds while also exploring aspects of the human condition which are easier to highlight when presented with events beyond what one typically views as ordinary or even realistic.

I'm always looking for new stories to read as a result, which is why I'm so excited over these syndicates. It should greatly simplify the discovery process, which is good since my free time has dropped to its annual low leaving me little time to peruse the Inkshares stacks as it were.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Thomas wrote: "Thomas, author of "Exile, Magus", book 1 in a series. Up to the rough draft of book 3 with a mental concept for the flow of book 4 in my head and nothing concrete. I'm both horrible at titles and c..."

I suppose I could also post up links here.

Book 1(currently funding): https://www.inkshares.com/projects/ex...

Book 2(draft stage): https://www.inkshares.com/projects/ex...

message 6: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) Hi Folks,

I'm Elan. You may remember me from like...everywhere else on Inkshares-related forums, as I am somewhat active in the community. I'm not John or JF, though, that's for sure.

I'm writing several things, and intend to put two new projects on Inkshares when they feel ready for funding. Until then, visit my blog, www.thewarblerbooks.com for weekly book reviews. (It so happens that I review Inkshares books somewhat frequently. I heard about Inkshares when I had the privilege of reading and reviewing Gary Whitta's Abomination.)

I'm here because I find this prospect exciting. Supporting new authors as a group, pushing the craft forward, and discovering untold stories—I can't think of a better way to spend $10 every month.

message 7: by Craig (new)

Craig Munro Hello everyone,

I'm Craig. I'm a relative newcomer to Inkshares. My novel (epic fantasy of course) will be going up as a draft sometime this week with the hopes of funding it in the new year.

I have been hooked on the genre ever since I read the Hobbit at the age of nine. Current favourite is The Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, or the first 6 or 7 of them anyway.

I am joining as an affiliate, though I hope to have more funds available to me in the near future which would allow me to sign up properly.

message 8: by John (new)

Welcome, Craig! I'm reading Gardens of the Moon right now. I wasn't hooked immediately on the writing, but the whole sequence with Rigga and the little girl and her tallow candle pulled me in and now I'm eager to read more. I was talking to a big fan of Erikson and the way he described his world building intrigued me and convinced me his work would be a great study for my own prose.

message 9: by John (new)

So glad you've joined us, Elan! I agree that it's a great thing to do to support the genre we love, and hope that this movement will not only help support Inkshares authors, but also perhaps bring more great epic fantasy talent to the platform.

message 10: by John (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:46AM) (new)

Okay Franklet, please please please tell me about your LOTR sequel!

message 11: by Craig (new)

Craig Munro Gardens of the Moon is a little dense. Push through it and you won't regret it. Books 2-4 are by far the best in the series.

message 12: by John (new)

Craig, one thing I've come to love about Erickson is his specific description, especially sensory details. I didn't feel a strong story until that exchange between Rigga and the little girl, but with that I'm now invested, even if some of the narrative feels a bit flat. I'm looking forward to reading it!

message 13: by C. (new)

C. (cbrennecke) I'm Christine, aka C. Brennecke, author of Seven Shards: The Colors of Wine.

I'm a big fan of fantasy, dark fantasy, and fairy tales, among other things. I prefer my fantasy more on the literary/semi-historic side, but ultimately it comes down to the story and the narrative voice. A little magic never hurt anyone. :)

I'm planning on joining the syndicate once my budget has survived/recovered from holiday shopping, so I'll probably stay more of a lurker until then.

My book: https://www.inkshares.com/projects/se...
My website: http://www.mythsmistsmusings.com

message 14: by John (new)

Christine, and all members who are here but aren't in the syndicate -- this is exactly why I've created this group! There are so many people who just love epic fantasy and want to talk about it. Why do we have to be limited to only coming together if we can put $10/month of $20/month toward supporting a title? There still such a great opportunity to come together and chat and discuss the great titles on Inkshares, or to just chat about what makes epic fantasy great in general.

This kind of foundation is a GREAT thing for the syndicate who will make decisions each month. All are welcome. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, and thank you, John, for setting up this group and the Inkshares syndicate. (Oh, and also for being the first to pre-order my book.) I'm Richard (sometimes Richie Earl) and I have been a fan of fantasy since reading David Eddings many years ago.

I wrote a story about my kids and for my kids, and they insisted I try to get it published. Within months of completion I had a contract with a small Welsh Publisher, but didn't sign. Something didn't seem right and I later realised that they didn't have the finance in place to fund the book.

So I self-pubbed, which proved to be far more difficult than I imagined. Last year, I withdrew both books in the series from all sales channels and set about rewriting and editing. The Legend of Finndragon's Curse is currently funding on Inkshares, which is a great way of publishing.

I have a blog which promotes fantasy and sci-fi writers, and although I've struggled to keep it going for a while, it is now back up and running. So if you'd like a feature, head over to One Thousand Worlds in One Thousand Words.

message 16: by John (new)

Thanks so much for joining this group, Richard, and thank you for ordering my book too :)

So interesting to hear about your publishing journey. Isn't Inkshares such a great place to be? As I follow along with some of the authors who are going through the production process and getting their work released in bookstores, I'm just so encouraged that it's a great home for our work.

Hey, I LOVE your blog! I'm going to follow up and submit.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm definitely excited by the opportunity offered by Inkshares, but worried that I might not be able to get enough pre-orders. But I've tried most other avenues so I decided I had to give it a go.

I look forward to your submission to 1000Worlds. Let me know what I can do to support you.

message 18: by Mike (new)

Mike Slade (mikeslade) | 2 comments Hey all, I'm Mike.
I look forward to being the new guy in town for all of the... probably two days that I am.
I've self-published one book through Amazon and am now trying out Inkshares for that again as well as my next project.
Huge fan of the genre and especially of projects by passionate, independent nerds (let's be honest here).
I look forward to hanging out with you all and discussing all things Fantasy. Thanks.

message 19: by John (new)

Welcome, Mike! So happy to have you join us. Please do spread the word about this syndicate -- check out the templates we have in place, and feel free to make some more if you can think of some simple things members might copy + past + share.

message 20: by Yicheng (new)

Yicheng Liu (liu0019) | 3 comments I can't believe that I didn't introduce myself here yet! I'm Yicheng Liu and I'm the author of the remains of civilization. I hang out on goodreads and generally try to be a friendly person all round. You probably know me if you're associated with Inkshares.

message 21: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Hello, Mike. I don't know about this Yicheng fellah though...

message 22: by Jodhan (new)

Jodhan Ford | 1 comments Hello everyone!

I am Jodhan Ford.

I began writing when I was fourteen. When I was fifteen I started the first pages of what is now my first novel: To Kill a king.

I have had a love of stories from age ten. My mother tried to get me into books when I was much younger, but nothing caught my attention save a few small stories. At age ten she pulled the hobbit and read it to me. And I was hooked. Afterwards when I asked her to read the fellowship of the ring, handed me the book and told me to read it for myself as she was done reading to me. I finished the series before I turned eleven.
Needless to say my fourth grade teacher was very impressed.

Now that I have teenagers I read less, but write more. My palate has improved since I was ten. I have found a love for more than just fantasy. Syfy, historical fiction, military essays and good theology.

I have a website and a page on inkshares:
http://www.jodhanford.com/
https://www.inkshares.com/projects/to...