Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Best dark urban fantasy series?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.S. (new)

M.S. Dobing | 19 comments Hi,

I'm trying to to find a new urban fantasy series to get my teeth into. I'm not a fan of the paranormal romance type stories, but in fact really enjoy the "secret world within our own" type trope with a good dose of magical content.

There's loads of series out there now, and I'm struggling to choose one to invest in.

Which ones would you good folks recommend?

Thanks

Mike

message 2: by Arch (new)

Arch Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green

comes to mind

message 3: by So, I Read This Book Today (last edited Dec 04, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments I LOVE Simon R. Green! Couldn't agree more. Also, Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1) by Justin Gustainis Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty Hunter #1) by James R. Tuck are two other darker series. As is Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1) by Mark Del Franco

I have lots of other thoughts - what have your read/liked? That will help!

message 4: by M.S. (new)

M.S. Dobing | 19 comments Thanks! I've read several of the Dresden Files, and also the first few of the Hellequin Chronicles, so something in their vein really. I'll check out those suggestions definitely! Thank you ☺

message 5: by Arch (new)

Arch M.S. wrote: "Thanks! I've read several of the Dresden Files, and also the first few of the Hellequin Chronicles, so something in their vein really. I'll check out those suggestions definitely! Thank you ☺"

check out Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka as well

message 6: by M.S. (new)

M.S. Dobing | 19 comments I like the look of that one Arch! I love mage stories, but they have to be an attempt at what a real mage would be like in the modern world. I'm not keen on convention magic tropes in a modern setting you, I like to see them baked into real "rules" that fit in with our world (as far as they can, obviously!).

Thanks again for this one, this is going on my next "to read".

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments M.S. wrote: "Thanks! I've read several of the Dresden Files, and also the first few of the Hellequin Chronicles, so something in their vein really. I'll check out those suggestions definitely! Thank you ☺"

You are very welcome. I will look through my lists for more in this vein. Please let us know how you like our suggestions after you read. It is always nice to here how people I recommended books to liked them.

message 8: by So, I Read This Book Today (last edited Dec 05, 2015 01:19PM) (new)

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments For a little something different to add to the stack,

Path of the Horseman Path of the Horseman by Amy Braun

Here is my review: http://soireadthisbooktoday.com/2015/...

message 9: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 73 comments Some great suggestions so far! A few that I have't seen mentioned yet:
The Laundry Files, by Charles Stross - The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1) by Charles Stross
Twenty Palaces series, by Harry Connolly - Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly
Alex Verus series, by Benedict Jacka - Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments I have Alex Verus on my list to read. It sounds good, and The Laundry Files as well. Haven't see Twenty Palaces. Thanks for that.

message 11: by Betelgeuze (last edited Dec 06, 2015 12:11AM) (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments Some darker or more action based UF:

Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1) by Steve Bein Generation V (Generation V, #1) by M.L. Brennan Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey Hard Magic (Grimnoir Chronicles, #1) by Larry Correia A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift, #1) by Kate Griffin Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1) by Alex Hughes Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1) by Rob Thurman

message 12: by M.S. (new)

M.S. Dobing | 19 comments Wow - there's so many! This it the problem, so much choice now! It's a good problem to have though :-)

message 13: by Erin L (last edited Jan 15, 2016 09:11AM) (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) Mike Carey has become a favorite of mine. He has the Felix Castor series set in London The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey

Also you may give Neil Gaiman a try if you haven't yet - Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2) by Neil Gaiman

message 14: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 15 comments I quite like the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman starting with Nightlife. The main character has a dark sense of humor, there's plenty of action and very little romance.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Jan 18, 2016 09:20AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments I second many of the recommendations. Right now I am very hooked on the Hellequin Chronicles series.

Another under the radar series is Marnie Baranuik series. Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1) by A.J. Aalto Death Rejoices (The Marnie Baranuik Files #2) by A.J. Aalto Cold Company (Marnie Baranuik "Between the Files" Story) by A.J. Aalto Last Impressions (The Marnie Baranuik Files #3) by A.J. Aalto Dirt Nap (A Marnie Baranuik “Between the Files” Story) by A.J. Aalto

It's a bit goofy at times, but also quite dark.

Soul Meaning (Seventeen #1) by A.D. Starrling is the start of a good dark urban fantasy series. It's not magic-heavy, more along the lines of Highlander with immortals who do a lot of swordplay.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) You may also want to try the Deadtown series

Deadtown (Deadtown, #1) by Nancy Holzner

message 17: by M.S. (new)

M.S. Dobing | 19 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "I second many of the recommendations. Right now I am very hooked on the Hellequin Chronicles series.

Another under the radar series is Marnie Baranuik series. Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1) by A.J. Aalto[bookcov..."

I like the look of Soul Meaning, right up my alley. Added now. I've also read a few of the Hellequin Chronicles and rate them too. The author has just become a full time writer so hopefully we'll see a lot more from him!

message 18: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 2 comments You might try the Sign of the Zodiac series by Vicki Pettersson.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Blackstream (jenniferblackstream) | 12 comments M.S. wrote: "Thanks! I've read several of the Dresden Files, and also the first few of the Hellequin Chronicles, so something in their vein really. I'll check out those suggestions definitely! Thank you ☺"

I second the Alex Verus series. The audio is great.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) | 18 comments Rob Thurman's Caliban series, starting with Nightlife is *most* defininately DARK and New York City is definately URBAN...

message 21: by katlurkin (new)

katlurkin | 1 comments Faith Hunter - Jane Yellowrock Series is quite dark.

You also might like Anne Bishop - The Others.