Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GENERAL TOPICS > Mikhail Bulgakov

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Who out there has read much Bulgakov? Just chanced upon 'Black Snow' in a bookshop and want to read it a.s.a.p. I have previously read 'Master and Margarita', 'Diaboliad' and 'Heart Of A Dog'. Every time I read a book by him, I wonder why I haven't read more. Would love to hear anyone's else's thoughts and opinions on him and his work.

message 2: by Vusal (new)

Vusal Stephen wrote: "Who out there has read much Bulgakov? Just chanced upon 'Black Snow' in a bookshop and want to read it a.s.a.p. I have previously read 'Master and Margarita', 'Diaboliad' and 'Heart Of A Dog'. Ever..."

I love Bulgakov's style. I have read his several books ('Master and Margarita','A Country Doctor's Notebook'). He was a doctor by the way, in many of his books he describes his career.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Yes Vusal, I have also asked for 'A Country Doctors Notebook' for Christmas. I love his prose style, it is very modern and love his dark humour and often bizarre plot and storylines.

message 4: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 6 comments I have read Master And Margarita. My daughter read it in Russian and said it was even better! She really loves how he writes.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Interesting Cosmic, I really need to re-read Master And Margarita. It is some years since I read it and need to be reminded of its brilliance. Read it in Russian? Your daughter must be very talented!

message 6: by Vusal (new)

Vusal Stephen wrote: "Yes Vusal, I have also asked for 'A Country Doctors Notebook' for Christmas. I love his prose style, it is very modern and love his dark humour and often bizarre plot and storylines."

i have read both books in russian. In russian descriptions and portraits of characters are better than in english version of book

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Unfortunately, I cannot read Russian....

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments The short stories within Diaboliad are very good, Sara. Definitely worth a try, I enjoyed The Fatal Eggs. But, I would read The White Guard as well. Be indulgent!

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy Meibach | 1 comments I read the Master and Margarita for another online course - it was intriguing, but I had some difficulty with it - I am curious what the new book in Feb/March 2016 will be

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Have you read anything else by Bulgakov, Judy? Let me know what the new book for Feb/March will be.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 3 comments I've read "The Master and Margarita" and several of the novellas/short stories. I'd like to read "The White Guard" which, I gather, is quite different in style.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished discussing "A Country Doctor's Notebook" at my library's Russian Literature Group this morning. Thus far it has been one of our favorite (if not *the* favorite) of our readings. We loved the stories for their strong plots, engaging main character, and modern feel. Glenny's translation is top-notch.

After this positive experience, I'm definitely planning on reading "The Master & Margarita" and "Heart of the Dog" at the very least. Though I may get to "The White Guard" first since I have it at the office right now. One day, I'd also like to get ahold of his plays, since that's what he was famous for during his lifetime.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments That's interesting to read, Oleg. I think that I must read that next. I watched a tv series a couple of years ago of A Country Doctors Notebook and was very impressed by its realism and dark humour.

message 14: by Josh (new)

Josh Caporale (caponomics) | 3 comments I began reading The Master & Margarita, but I decided I would wait until I had a clear mind to read it more wholeheartedly. I included Bulgakov in a Powerpoint presentation I did about 20th century Russian literature in my Soviet Russia class.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Josh wrote: "I began reading The Master & Margarita, but I decided I would wait until I had a clear mind to read it more wholeheartedly. I included Bulgakov in a Powerpoint presentation I did about 20th century..."

Hey Josh, I'd be interested in seeing that Powerpoint. Is it possible for you to forward it to me? (lifeinoleg@gmail.com)

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Master and Margarita my favourite! I recommend you to see the film)

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Hi Anna, which film are you talking about?

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Stephen wrote: "Hi Anna, which film are you talking about?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6W9h...