UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > "bullshit receptivity"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Confucius he say: Of all the possible dates, Jesus was born on Christmas day! Now what are the chances of that?

message 3: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments I love bullshit. Use it all the time. My books are full of it.

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments As far as I can see, they have just proved that stupid people are stupid. Which is nice to know.

One of the questions they asked was this:

"participants were shown a list of activities (e.g., biking, reading) directly below the following instructions: “Below is a list of leisure activities. If you are reading this, please choose the “other” box below and type in ‘I read the instructions’”.

More than a third of their respondents got this wrong. But it made no difference to their results whether they included these people or not.

The problem I think is that they paid people to take part in their surveys, either with real money or by giving students course credits. And that means that they will get a proportion of people who will not give much attention to the questions - in other words proving that inattentive people are inattentive.

Ho hum.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sorry, what?

I was miles away...

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I got to paragraph two. Oh, shiny.....

message 7: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Will wrote: "As far as I can see, they have just proved that stupid people are stupid. Which is nice to know.

One of the questions they asked was this:

"participants were shown a list of activities (e.g., bik..."

And of course, being students, they will have gone out of their way to provide the wrong answers.