Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > For Kindle Users

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Looks like Kindle has the ability to remove books from your device without permission or any warning.

Read this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_en_o...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't own one of these, but I'm surprised it's legal for them to delete something off your device that you've already paid for. And on top of that, without giving you notice of removal. Granted, you were refunded your money but that still doesn't make it right for them to be able to do that.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user What, I thought George Orwell was public domain?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't own one of these (too expensive) but I would have thought since you've paid for the hardware and paid for the ebooks you download to be on them, that it would be illegial for them to delete something off of it. Since the thing costs $300 I'd think twice about buying one in the future knowing they can do that whenever they want.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

They can't do that with the Sony Reader (what I own) since I can put all my books onto my harddrive off the device if I want to.

It's the main reason I went with the reader and not the Kindle.

And after reading this I am so glad.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) That sounds great Tricia. Nice to have a backup in any case of your files. Now that I know the difference, (not that I'll be buying one until I win the lottery lol), I'd definetly go with the Sony.

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Jul 20, 2009 09:15PM) (new)

Yeah, I am a stickler for making sure I get what I pay for. Not that the the kindle isn't good..

Just I like to be able to back up and save my books where I want them.

And with there being limited space its nice to be able to do that with the Sony.

Sony also has memory card slots, so I can literally store my books on the cards and swap em out if I need more space.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Sounds great. Next time I win the lottery I'll buy one. :)

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hehe I need to win the lottery too! :D

message 10: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I have a Kindle, I can also take my books off of it and same them on my computer, that way I won't loose them and can re-read them later if I want.

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I specifically read that you cannot do what you are claiming.

Did you get a hacked kindle or something? Software to hack into it?

Per the Kindle's use of terms its not allowed, is why I am wondering how you are able to do that.

This is something I researched heavily before I chose which one I got, is where I am getting this information.

message 12: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I just got a regular Kindle. It was also one of the things that I was worried about, I didn't want to buy books then loose them. My dad got a Kindle DX before I got mine so he knew all the secrets. When I plug my Kindle into the computer, it opens the folder with all the books on the kindle, I can copy and save them on the computer then put them back on the Kindle at a later date. I didn't know that we weren't supposed to be able to do that, works just fine for me. We also have a program that converts any file type of ebook into a Kindle/Ebook reader compatible file. So I just download free ebooks (torrents) and convert them.

message 13: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hmm thats nice to know then. I know I read the kindle information from the official site so thats what had me worried.

If you won't tell I won't hehehe :P

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

That's cool. I wonder why they put that you cant in the info I read. So weird =/

Its why I chose the Sony! lol

Kindle does have one advantage and that's wireless ordering.. of course I would get in SO much trouble with that! lol

message 15: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Lots of devices TRY to tell you that it's necessary to only use their software for transferring data. My last PDA did the same thing but their software wasn't necessary once I figured out the file system.

The only one I've been unable to work around is my Palm - but then I like the sync program for it so I haven't tried too hard.

I would get in tons of trouble with wireless ordering too - my "bookshelf" would be as big as my To-Read & Wish-List shelves combined if it were that easy for me to buy a book!

message 16: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) ♥Tricia♥ wrote: "That's cool. I wonder why they put that you cant in the info I read. So weird =/

Its why I chose the Sony! lol..."

They probably just say that to get more money from people. I was goning to get a Sony E-book reader at frist b/c they are a lot cheaper than Kindles, but their e-books cost more the they do on Amazon, so in the end the Kindle won out. I love it!! I love being able to buy books when ever I want to, so if I finish one in the middle of the night, I can just buy the next in the series. It is really nice.

message 17: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments So I am considering asking for a eReader for Christmas - leaning toward the Sony vs the Kindle, would love your thoughts and opinions...

message 18: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ohh I have a Sony 700 and I LOVE it.

I still purchase books as I love the feel and smell of them. And some covers I just HAVE to have in paperback.

But there are a lot of free e books out there and some books only available in e book format and it was the reason I got a reader.

Where to begin, perhaps you can ask some specific questions and I can answer? So I can know what specifics you are looking for.

message 19: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I guess that's where I am at - not sure what questions I need to ask??? or rather what the right questions are???

I mean is it the same as reading a book??? you say you still buy real books, so is it worth the investment??

What is the primary difference between the Kindle and the Sony - looking at the "stats" it looks like the Kindle only works with Amazon while the Sony works with everyone except Amazon???

and the Kindle is wireless, but does that mean you need special service for it??? is it only wireless??

I wish I could find someplace where I could rent one to try it out - think I might look into this...

message 20: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Oct 08, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Ok hehe

First I want to mention how each loads up books. (I dont have a kindle so all my *kindle info* is coming from research I did when I was looking for a reader)

The Sony uses a USB cord and a program (that comes with the device).
So basically with the Sony you can purchase your books wherever and then plug up your reader and load the books onto it from your computer via the software.
You just need to make sure you get the right formats, though with the Sony reader the formats it can use come in a wide variety (I will touch base on those later).

The Kindle uploads wirelessly. You order from Amazon and it wirelessly sends the book directly to the reader. This is a huge plus for some people who travel a lot and do not wish to be tied down to a computer to upload books.
However, with that comes the agreement to Amazon that they can yank your books without question. This has happened to one book already (see above)

I have *heard* from kindle users that you can get books from other places but I dont know how that works. The information I have read tells me its limited to amazon.

You do not need a special service to purchase books through amazon, just an account that is in good standing with amazon works and the service comes free. (someone I know got banned from amazon for *too many returns* and his kindle became a worthless brick since he could no longer access all his already purchased books since they are saved in your amazon account).

Its just like reading a book, only thinner. There is a different feel to it, no manually flipping pages. Its nice and its easy to read on in my opinion.

I believe, for me, the reader was worth the investment. I like some books that I can only get in ebook format and I have gotten so many free ones that it more then made it worth it for me.
I cant read books on the computer because after a while my eyes start hurting and I get a headache.

Formats:

The Kindle uses:
Amazon owns Mobipocket[48:][49:], and the Kindle AZW file format and DRM scheme are almost identical to the Mobipocket file format and DRM scheme,[50:] yet Kindle is not able to read DRM-protected Mobipocket books without resorting to third-party conversions tools. This situation has led to great frustration for Kindle users[51:].

The Sony uses:
DRM-free Text: BBeB Book (LRF), PDF, TXT, RTF, ePub. Typefaces in PDF files formatted for 216 x 280 mm (8.5 x 11 inch) pages may be too small to read comfortably. Such files can be reformatted for the Reader screen size with Adobe Acrobat Professional, but not by Adobe Reader software. The Reader does not directly support Microsoft Word DOC format. The 'CONNECT Reader' application uses Word to convert the .DOC files to RTF before sending them to the Reader.

DRM-protected Text: BBeB Book (LRX); Secure PDF and ePub.

Audio: MP3 and DRM-free AAC (except on the PRS-300)

Image: JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP (Loading an animated GIF will freeze the Reader)

I had to wiki the Kindle to get the formats as I do not own a Kindle.

As far as I know the 700 I own is no longer available and they are making new ones that are cheaper in price *shakes fist!!* (bastards! lol)

Adding: On the reader (at least mine) it has 2 memory card slots that I can use to store books. So I don't have to rely on just the internal memory.
I have an 8g card in it currently and the amount of books I can hold seems endless!
I store all my books on my computer for safe keeping, just in case something happens to my reader and I need to re-upload them.

As far as the kindle I know that amazon stores all purchases in your account that you can go view and download at any time.

I hope that answers your questions thus far. Please feel free to ask more if you still have any :D

message 21: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Also let me post the wiki for both devices so you can browse the information I had when I was trying to decide which to get:

Kindle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_K...

Sony: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Danner (kindlevixen) | 12 comments In regards to the Kindle -

You can buy books wirelessly through the store, but you can also load them using your computer -it comes with a usb cord. I almost never use the wireless function (you can turn it off with a switch and it keeps amazon out of your books). I use a program called "calibre" to sort/convert all my books. Kindle's main format is mobi or azw but if you have a program like calibre you can convert and put just about any type of file on it you want (doc, rtf, pdf, lit). I mostly by books from amazon, but i believe you can also get them from fictionwise as long as you get the non drm'd books.

Because I can rtf and doc files on it, I also use a SD card and keep recipes on it....the Kindle 1 holds an SD card, the Kindle 2 does NOT. Kindle also supports audio formats, tho I have never used mine.

message 23: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

That is very good to know :)

It makes me wonder why they would give me false information... because I was actually heavily leaning on Kindle until I had dug a little deeper on both ends and gotten more information.

message 24: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments Thanks everyone for the info, it is a big help.

My biggest thing now is how much I'd like reading on it - wish I could "try before I buy" I am going to see if I can find somewhere that I can rent one for a while to see if I like it...

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user If you have an upscale library near you, you might try that. I recently found out a local library is borrowing them.

Or you can always try at a retail outlet.

message 26: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I just got a Sony Ebook Reader Touch (600). I haven't had it too long. I am happy that I got this over a Kindle. I was given this over a Kindle since I tend to borrow books from the library, as opposed to buying them. With the Reader I can borrow ebooks from my library. I can also get ebooks from anywhere (although others seem to be able to get books from places other than Amazon). I don't care too much about the wireless feature (which mine does not have). There is a touch screen, it comes with a stylus, memory card slots and no backlight. I was kind of bummed. I got a cover with light and it's pretty cool.

message 27: by Katt (new)

Katt I have a Kindle and I love it. But there is a new book reader coming out called the Nook by Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/?c... you can loan books to friends read on you blackberry and the pc also you should be able to borrow from the library it uses ebook pub and pdf.

message 28: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ya the Nook looks really nice. Thinking of selling my Sony and getting the Nook! lol

I need to do more research about it though to make sure all of my books will transfer over otherwise I will stick with what I have.

message 29: by Katt (new)

Katt If I get a nook I figure I will just use both the kindle and the Nook. That way I can price shop and only worry about two books instead of 50 or more when we downsize our homes lol. I get a lot of books from Fictionwise for my Kindle so I can use those on the Nook too. Fictionwise is a part of B&N and so is Ebooks.com,do some price shopping on the books.

message 30: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) | 7 comments I am thinking about getting one and wanted to know how you guys (the ones that have it)like the kindle or the nook that is a product of barnes and noble

message 31: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments Amanda, glad to hear you like the Sony. I was at best Buy this weekend and they had them and I have to say i was not impressed, they didn't work great so I was concerned... Might be that they have just been overused and abused being out in public??? Also didn't spend a lot of time with them as hubby was with me...

My B&N doesn't have a Nook yet, the guy there said they hadn't even seen it yet and it was killing them!!! LOL They should have them in-store this month...

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) omg, i've been researching these like crazy the last few weeks!!!

i have a friend with a kindle, and she LOVES it. she has me leaning toward that one pretty heavily (though i think i want the bigger DX), and yes, it's way nice to "try before you buy". the big extra perk to me is the kindle's web browsing abilities - it would be super nice to look up (for example) a historical person or a phenomenon on wikipedia that had come up mid-novel.

the nook's "lend to a friend" feature is also super appealing...but b&n can't confirm this feature will be available for all books. sounds like a great idea, unless in practice, it only happens for a small percentage of the books you can buy! Jennifer, i talked with our local b&n guys, and they said they won't get it until the end of the month, not too much before it's released to the public.

there are a LOT of manufacturers coming out with new things that look SO cool, and hopefully with the competition the price will come down. check out the que from plastic logic, the entourage edge, or the latest ones from sony. lots more reasearch to do!

message 33: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I have a Kindle, and I totally love it. I love being able to by new books in seconds and not have to go to the store!

message 34: by Debbie (last edited Nov 07, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) Just found a Kindle give-a-way, if anyone is interested.

http://www.noobie.com/kindle-giveaway...

message 35: by Katt (new)

Katt Found this web site where you can compare ebook prices and also has a list of free Amazon Kindle ebooks. http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html and these are free on B&N website too. If you are buying a Nook

message 36: by Laura (last edited Nov 23, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

Laura | 2 comments Kindle accepts two formats. One is the official Amazon format, the other is .mobi. You can convert any eBook into .mobi format and load it onto the Kindle.

Some of my books I get off Amazon.com, but I also buy them from all over the internet. Many already sell their books in .mobi format.

Yes, it is perfectly legal, it is Amazon that gave us that option. They could have designed the Kindle not to accept/read the .mobi format if they had wanted to. They gave the consumer that option.

message 37: by Jackie (last edited Dec 04, 2009 08:35PM) (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) ♥Tricia♥ wrote: "Kindle does have one advantage and that's wireless ordering.. of course I would get in SO much trouble with that! lol."

You have no idea the kind of trouble this has gotten me into. :) The husband has grounded me and taken my debit card due to this. I am a bad book addict.

message 38: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

LOL that sounds like me for real. Is one of the reasons I DIDNT get a kindle ROFL.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Jackie wrote: "♥Tricia♥ wrote: "Kindle does have one advantage and that's wireless ordering.. of course I would get in SO much trouble with that! lol."

You have no idea the kind of trouble this has gotten me int..."

So, how do you feel about about bit-torrents?

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 29 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just FYI -- Amazon is claiming the book they took off Kindles was a pirated copy. And they did credit everyone. I, too, am not happy to hear that they're willing to remove books that have already..."

Yup. I totally agree. I have a Kindle, and I can remove books withhout a problem. The Amazon Kindle customer support is amazing, too.

I've had my Kindle 2 since May 2009, and from what I've heard, they're much more user friendly since the earlier edition.

But in all seriousness, I love my Kindle. It's probably the best thing I've ever purchased.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Riga (aeriga) Laura wrote: "Jackie wrote: "♥Tricia♥ wrote: "Kindle does have one advantage and that's wireless ordering.. of course I would get in SO much trouble with that! lol."

You have no idea the kind of trouble this ha..."

I use rapidshare...I pay about 80$ a year but i can download everything! movies, music, books, tv shows, games, you name it

message 42: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I know this is a Kindle thread, but we have discussed other kinds and.... I just got a nook!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOO excited and had to share!!! Already got 2 books and I have to say being able to order wirelessly is going to be SOOO dangerous!!

Hopefully this means I will be able to get back into the BOMs as should be able to find them easier, my little library had a hard time keeping up... :)

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) since I never saw anything re the orwell incident and the full story...this is something that I followed on the legal side of the house when it was going down...

basically, public domain in the us is 1923 and back unless, the rights holders are still active. copyright is 70 years from death of the writer (in the US, this varies in other countries). what happened was that mobipocket uploaded a copy of 1984 to the website that is in public domain in Australia, but not the US yet. Amazon was threatened with legal action and suing if they did not remove the copies of the book. All they did was remove it from their servers, and when you next sync'd wirelessly it disappeared. The people who were affected by this received their money back, plus a $30 credit for the book (so over 30 times the initial payout, since it was listed for 99 cents). Part of the reason amazon has this ability is because unlike other ebook sellers, you can return any book to them within 7 days of purchase for whatever reason (double copy, bad formatting, already read) and they will remove it from your archives. No other ebook retailer does this currently.

As to the claim that no one else can do it, if you read the ToA for all devices, you only own a license for the book, not the book itself and this could happen to anyone.

That being said, I own a kindle, I wasn't affected by the decision, but I think that Jeff Bezos did everything he could in a bad situation - I would love to see something like that from other booksellers...a friend of mine bought a book (papercopy) from B&N a while back but didn't read it initially, when she did, found it was missing a chunk and couldn't get refunded for it because it was outside the 30 day return window...the book was useless to her because it was missing that chapter...

The price on the kindle also just dropped to $189 and target is now selling them for people who like to try first

message 44: by Danielle (last edited Jun 23, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) Dee I already own a Kindle first generation and I saw this price drop on the Kindle 2. I was thinking about upgrading but since they dropped the price I'm wondering if they are going to be coming out with another version so I think I'm going to wait and see what happens. I spent almost $400 on mine when it first came out so $189 is great :)

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i know - i upgraded at christmas (bought one for my mom and a new K2 for me), but I love the 189 price - partly because B&N has dropped their nook prices to 199 and 149 and the kobo is launching, but I don't care! lol! more people who read the better!

I am debating getting a kobo for epub books - there is an australian author who has never been published in the US (his publisher there doesn't think he will sell) but he has ebooks available through the australian borders store...but haven't decided for sure yet

message 46: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "I am debating getting a kobo for epub books - ..."

I'm debating one also for the few books I have that I can't convert for my Kindle.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i've heard some good and some bad...dear author the blog didn't have much good to say about it...they rec'd the nook or the sony...for a non-kindle...I might go with the small sony...but since i'm re-doing my bathroom right now (and opted for a whirlpool tub instead of a plain one, money is a tad bit tighter!)