Ravelry Knitters discussion

The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
This topic is about The Year of Living Danishly
Group Reading > December group read - The Year of Living Danishly

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
The Year of Living Danishly was a clear winner for this month's group book. Looks like it will be an interesting read.

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments Being Danish, I'm going to have to read it :o)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got this book from the library today. Hello...it doesn't surprise me that I'm always a month or two behind the group.

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments Don't worry, I'm here too - I got it from the library last week but haven't had time to open it yet. I have to return it by 20th Feb, so there's my deadline :o)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll really be interested in what you think of this book, Dorthe. I'm not Danish, so I think it's intriguing and fascinating. What will Dorthe make of it all? :o)

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments Heh - I'll let you know asap :o)

Tracey I have just collected this book from my local library. Hopefully I'm not too late to join in?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Never too late. The discussion threads stay online and we can read and add our 2 cents worth any time. I'm almost halfway through this one and I'm having fun with it - enjoying talking about my revelations about Denmark with my husband. Having retired from a lifetime of business, he calls how American business is run "reality". I insist that it's "one reality." And on we go ... :-)

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments I must confess I'm stuck - I read the first 60 pages in one go about a week ago and haven't picked it up again. I'll give it another try over the weekend.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I was so mesmerized by Uprooted that I read another book by Naomi Novik on Saturday. Yes, in one day...342 pages.

Meanwhile I'm on page 188 of 'Danishly' and tend to forget about it. It's nowhere near as compelling as Novik's fantasies but I get surprised and amused by Russell's storytelling whenever I read another chapter.

I'm dying to pick up the second book of Novik's trilogy but I know I need to finish the other first or it'll never happen.

One thing that keeps me reading is the thought that Bernie Sanders might be our next American President. Which gives me hope for Congress changing as well. Perhaps our country could tilt more towards compassion and away from divisiveness, allowing us to live a little more Danishly? Just a thought, not trying to stir up political chatter where it's not wanted...

Tracey Finished 'Danishly' today, an enjoyable light read. I'm a bit of a Scandiphile, so it was great to learn more about living in Denmark from a British perspective. Having only ever been to Copenhagen and to Roskilde (for the festival), it was interesting to learn about life in rural Jutland.

The book was pretty easy to pick up and read in short segments. I suspect that is because the author has a magazine journalism background, and at times it did feel like I was reading an article in a Sunday paper supplement - this is not necessarily a bad thing! I would have prefered less of a focus on statistics and more plot, but that is just my opinion.