Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Graphic Novels!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments I've recently challenged myself to read all of the graphic novels my library has in their collection (I swear it's not as intimidating as it sounds) and I was wondering how many others in the group may have multiple graphic novels on their challenge lists. And who else in this group considers themselves a graphic novel fan! Has anyone read any super cool graphic novels recently? (Or not so cool ones you think others should avoid?)

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm a graphic novel reader, even if there are none in my plan this year!
For the most recent, I really liked Nimona, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Vol. 1, Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars, Grayson, Vol 1: Agents of Spyral and Saga, Volume 5.

I totally recommend I Kill Giants if you haven't read it and the Oz series is great too (Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz).

message 3: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad O'Brien (sinead89) I'm challenging myself with graphic novels this upcoming year as well! I have two on my list, Watchmen and Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street.

I hadn't read any comic, or graphic novel before this fall. When the Jessica Jones series came out on Netflix it was the first time I was motivated to try a comic, so I read the Alias, Vol. 1 series which the show is based on. I realize there's some differences between comics and graphic novels, but it made me more confident I would enjoy the medium!

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments It's ages ago that I bought Modesty Blaise, The Gabriel Set-Up, so I intend to read it for the Popsugar challenge. Started it, can't recall a thing, and will start from page 1.

It is my first graphic novel for grownups, so can't say I'm familiar with them, but since I bought it, I must have found it enticing enough :)

message 5: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I love graphic novels, but usually I just read manga and some superhero comics (actually just from Spiderman :P) However, just recently I started to read a different kind of comics and I have found very interesting things like Saga, Volume 1 and Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and also I have continued reading The Walking Dead althought I have a complete mix in my head between the comic and the TV-show even when they are absolutely different :D

I discovered Saga when I walked into the library and they had in display the volume 1. I took it, read it and loved it and after that I am much more open to experiment with any other comic :)

message 6: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I read my first one this year, for the Popsugar challenge - Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened, which was awesome. I'm not sure it's a full-on graphic novel, but it was a nice introduction. Then I read Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks, which was good, but I just didn't really dig his illustration style. I really want to try Watchmen, as I loved the movie!

message 7: by Aglaea (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:06PM) (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Oh, yes, Saga. I saw it on OverDrive and also on the list of Goodreads winners, so will read them for sure!

I've only ever read Hyperbole on her blog, but if it comes to the library I'll read it (haven't seen if it is already there).

message 8: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments Speaking of Hyperbole, Allie Brosh has a new book coming out soon! It seems like the graphic memoir/biography trend is really taking off. I've read Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir, Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, and Sisters and thought they were all great. Most of the other graphic novels I've read have been either Wonder Woman or Batman. I do love my superheroes! I'm definitely gonna have to look up Alias, now, too.

(And everything mentioned in this thread is getting added to my ever-growing TBR... so many awesome looking books!)

message 9: by Beth (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:39AM) (new)

Beth | 127 comments I love graphic novels! I tend to read mostly memoirs and historical graphic novels. The first graphic novel I read was Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and it is still probably my favorite.

Last year, I read about a dozen graphic novels. I read Hyperbole and a Half and Fun Home too and really enjoyed them. I also read Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang about the Boxer Rebellion in China. Both books tell the story of the same events, but each from perspective of someone on one side of the conflict.

I also read the 8 comics that make up Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8. It was an interesting continuation of the Slayer saga. If you are a fan of the show, I would recommend them.

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments Ooh, I am a massive Buffy fan - I'll have to look those up.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (pagelady) I'm not a fan of graphic novels. I did read Archie comics as a child/teen, but I never read a graphic novel in my adult life. For the 2015 reading challenge, I picked Stitches. It's an autobiography, is quite serious in nature. I was VERY impressed.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 127 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm not a fan of graphic novels. I did read Archie comics as a child/teen, but I never read a graphic novel in my adult life. For the 2015 reading challenge, I picked Stitches. It's ..."

I read Stitches this year too! It was very good.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I have a few on my various challenge lists for next year. Most notably: Saga, Volume 1, Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery, Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop, and The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide.

The jury is still out on graphic novels for me. The few I read in 2015 were great, story wise, but I don't know that I enjoy the style of reading. I am not the biggest fan of darting all over the panel looking for dialogue. I thought I'd try a few more this year and see how it goes.

message 14: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments Beth wrote: "I read Stitches this year too! It was very good. "

That one's on my TBR and I'm really excited to read it. I'm glad to hear you both enjoyed it!

message 15: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I love graphic novels but I don't read them as often as I would like to or should. Next year I'm planning to read all the Sons of Anarchy graphic novels and the new Kick Ass vol. 3, as side reads though. I couldn't manage to fit them into my actual list with everything else on there but graphic novels I find very quick to read in general so I don't mind having them as side reads.

message 16: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments I finished Saga vol 1 today and was impressed.

message 17: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Good Aglaea. The series keeps its quality for the moment, I really liked the 5th :)

message 18: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Zaz wrote: "Good Aglaea. The series keeps its quality for the moment, I really liked the 5th :)"

Glad to hear! Already borrowed the second one :)

message 19: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments An update is in order! I've read the two first volumes of Saga and yesterday added to my TBR

The Day the Eiffel Tower Went Beserk (The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #1) by Gerard Way

by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance). Should be suitably actiony.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments In case anyone's interested, there is a deal for Nimona on Amazon today!

message 21: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I'm doing the challenge Around the World 2016 (although only half challenge ) and I started at the same time a new challenge for Around the World in 52 GN , retaking all the categories but only including graphic novels. Just the decision of which GN include was a very interesting job, so I have high expectations of this new challenge :)

message 22: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Nop Silvia, we're not going around the world :p

message 23: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Hahaha sorry, I mean around the year :-P

message 24: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I just read Sons of Anarchy, Volume 1 as a side read as I have Sons of Anarchy, Volume 2 in my challenge for the 'Between the numbers book' as it takes place between two of the seasons of the show so I figured that could count, as I'm not currently reading any other series that has books like that in them. I love graphic novels. I think they're such a quick and fun way to read and experience a story.

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Is the story of SoA different between the graphic novel and the series?
I have a vague recollection of having asked this before, but I'm not sure, sorry if I have ;)

I started watching the series again after you told me the end was mad, hopefully I will finish it soon!

message 26: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments @Sophie, that's ok! The graphic novels are completely different stories that weren't in the actual show, they've been made up as little side stories that take place either between two of the seasons or alongside one of the seasons. I don't know how well I've explained that, but I hope that helped.

message 27: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Yes you have, thank you! I'm keeping it in a corner of y head in case I miss them after finishing the show ;)

message 28: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 19 comments I have several graphic novels on my list. They include Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 2: Prisoner of Bogan, Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01, Attack on Titan, Vol. 8, Deadpool Killustrated, Deadpool: Secret Invasion, Parasyte, Volume 1, Justice League Dark, Vol. 2: The Books of Magic, Shadowland, Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, Power Girl and Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client. Most of them I've read already and have created discussion threads for them if anyone is interested. The rest I will add as I finish.

I'd love to discuss any of these a bit more, so feel free to comment on my threads and share your thoughts. I'd particularly recommend Parasyte, Volume 1, which I thought was excellent.