You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Sarah Lou's Geocaching Treasure Haul 2016

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I'm looking forward to visiting some World Heitage Sites in 2016. I'm not sure I'll be able to visit each continent but would love to visit Canada, places in Europe and hope to include Egypt and India.

To complete the challenge - Read 12 different books total - 4 sites, 3 books per site

Each site has three tasks, and you must read all three in order to qualify. Each site requires that – 1) you read a book set in the area, 2) you read a book inspired by the area, and 3) you read a book that will have a take home item (your geocache treasure) as specified in the tasks.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Apr 14, 2016 08:30AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments My Treasure Haul

Take Home Items I've Collected:

From France: Piece of Charcoal
From Canada Dinosaur Provincial Park: Piece of petrified bone
From Afghanistan:Blue Tile
From Europe Tower of London: Crown
From Egypt: Scarab

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Dec 24, 2016 06:01AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments NORTH AMERICA

Canada

a. Dinosaur Provincial Park* 3/3
- Read a book set in Alberta Green Grass, Running Water
- Read a book about dinosaurs (living or fossils) Jurassic Park
- Take home item – Piece of petrified bone: Read a book that has the word “bone” in the title Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

d. Red Bay Basque Whaling Station
- read a book set in Maritime Canada (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick) Emily of New Moon
- read a book where fishing or whaling is a large part of the story Jaws Free Willy Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea Crunch & Des: Classic Stories of Saltwater Fishing Captains Courageous
- Take home item – Fiddle: Read a book that has a musical instrument in it.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Dec 24, 2016 06:00AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments EUROPE

France
3/3
a. Decorated Cave of Pont d’Arc, known as Grotte Chauvet-Pont d’Arc, Ardèche
- Read a book set in France All the Light We Cannot See
- Read a book about painting The Goldfinch
- Take Home Item: - Piece of Charcoal: Read a book with a dark grey or black cover (70%) Stardust
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Greece
a. Archaeological Site of Olympia
- Read a book set in Greece Helen of Troy
- Read a book based on Greek mythology
- Take Home Item – Fig Leaf (some of those statues are missing something): Read a book with a statue on the cover or the word is in the title.

Netherlands
a. Mill Network at Kinderdijk-Elshout
- Read a book set in the Netherlands Girl With a Pearl Earring I am Rembrandt's Daughter The Miniaturist
- Read a book with the word “Windmill”, “Wind” or “Mill” in the title
- Take Home Item – Tulip: Read a book with several flowers on the cover. The Girl In Between

Poland
a. Auschwitz Birkenau
- Read a book set in Poland Milkweed
- Read a book about WWII where Auschwitz is either the setting, the destination, or the threat. Annexed The Girl from the Train
- Take Home Item – Prayer Shawl: Read a book with a devout character The Scarlet Letter The Pillars of the Earth

Spain
a. Santiago de Compostela (Old Town)
- Read a book set in Spain The Shadow of the Wind
- Read a book about a pilgrimage
- Take Home Item – Scallop Shell: Read a book with shells on the cover.

United Kingdom (Britain, North Ireland & Scotland): 3/3
a. Tower of London*
- Read a book set in England Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
- Read a book involving the Tower of London When Christ and His Saints Slept
- Take Home Item – Crown: Read a book with a crown on the cover or the word in the title Red Queen
When Christ and His Saints Slept (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1) by Sharon Kay Penman Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Boudica Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) by Manda Scott

b. Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast 1/3
- Read a book set in North Ireland or Ireland The Book of Tomorrow Darkfever In the Woods Echoes
- Read a book with a giant in it. The Princess Bride
- Take Home Item – Emerald: Read a book with a predominant green cover (70%) Heir of Fire
Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas

c. New Lanark
- Read a book set in Scotland
- Read a book about child labour.
- Take Home Item - Ball of wool: Read a book with wool or clothing made from wool (i.e. sweater) on the cover, or with the word “Wool” in the title.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Apr 14, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments AFRICA

Egypt
a. Memphis and its Necropolis
- Read a book set in Egypt The Heretic Queen Queen of Kings
- Read a historical fiction about one of the Pharoahs Nefertiti
- Take Home Item – Scarab: Read a book with the word “Scarab” in the title or the subtitle The Clockwork Scarab ]
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Oct 26, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments ASIA

Afghanistan 3/3
a. Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley
- Read a book set in Afghanistan The Kite Runner
- Read a book in which there are caves, or the word “cave” is in the title. Daughter of the Forest
- Take Home Item – Blue Tile: Read a book where the cover is predominantly blue (70%) A Discovery of Witches
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Jan 06, 2016 05:20AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments SOUTH AMERICA

Peru
a. Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu
- Read a book set in Peru
- Read a book set in a mountainous area And the Mountains Echoed
- Take Home Item – Ceremonial Knife: Read a book with a knife on the cover Knife Edge

Ecuador
a. Galápagos Islands
- Read a book about the Galápagos Islands, or are featured in a book
- Read a book with one of the following animals/birds on the cover or in the title: Turtle, Iguana, Albatross, Pelican, Flamingo, Whale, Dolphin.
- Take Home Item – Egg: Read a book where the main character is a cook or baker.

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Dec 15, 2015 05:09AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments AUSTRALIA/SOUTH SEA ISLANDS

Australia
a. Great Barrier Reef
- Read a book set in Australia
- Read a book set on/under the ocean
- Take Home Item – Coral: Read a book with the word “coral” in the title/subtitle, or author’s name.

c. Lord Howe Island Group
- Read a book set on an island
- Take Home Item – Bird: Read a book with the word “Bird” in the title, or a bird on the cover

d. Tasmanian Wilderness
- Read a book where a penal colony or prison is significant
- Take Home Item – Tasmanian Devil: Read a Paranormal Fantasy book (think devils, demons, etc)

g. Sydney Opera House
- Read a book set in a harbour city
- Take Home Item – Concert Program: Read a book where a musician is a significant character

h. Macquarie Island
- Read a book set in Antarctica
- Read a book about exploration
- Take Home Item – Penguin: Read a classic published by Penguin Classics (does not need to be the issue you read).

New Zealand
a. Te Wahipounamu – South West New Zealand
- Read a book set in New Zealand
- Read a book in the fantasy genre (sorry, can’t help but think of the Lord of the Rings movies)
- Take Home Item – Chunk of Glacier Ice: Read a book where there is snow/ice on the cover, or “snow” or “ice” is in the title.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Apr 18, 2016 06:24AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've just finished up my first site in the UK. It was quite interesting. I read Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle for set in England. More than 65% of the book is set in England, mostly set in the East which is East Anglia if I'm right.

Then I went to the Tower of London with When Christ and His Saints Slept (buddy read with Lisa). This was a re-read for me, and I loved it just as much as the first time I read it, it was also a re-start to a series I am looking forward to continuing.

And lastly I went and got myself a Crown (on the cover) with Red Queen.

I liked my visit and now I'm heading East to France =]

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Apr 18, 2016 06:27AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Well done, Sarah! I enjoyed our little trip to the Tower of London :) Have a good time in France!

Btw, I have just set up our buddy read thread for Time and Chance.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've been to France now and had a good trip. I read All the Light We Cannot See and really enjoyed this book, it made me want to visit Saint Malo and try and read more about World War 2.

Then I read The Goldfinch, it was a bit of a strange one, about a painting and felt like a lot of it was unnecessary, but it was a good read. In places I enjoyed it quite a bit and other times I just wanted to give up. I felt like I could connect with this book at times especially the depressina nd addiction side of things however I'm kind of glad it's over though so I can enjoy a more uplifting book.

Lastly I read Stardust which was another odd one.

I'm looking forward to moving on to Egypt and finishing up in Afghanistan.