Perustopia Book Club discussion

Should I read Cassandra Clare, yeah or meh?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (little_stana) | 7 comments Hello you guys,

it seems that a lot of you have red Cassandra Clare's books so it just felt right asking my question here.
What do you guys say should I read Cassandra Clare's books? In particular the mortal instruments series and the infernal devices, as I heard those are somehow connected.

I just feel like reading them plus these books are super gorgeous but at the same time I put it off because of the hype surrounding them. I just don't want to be disappointed.

As you can see I really need some help here so what are your thoughts?

x
L

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (samfalston) | 29 comments I just started the Mortal Instruments and I'm enjoying it so far. If you enjoy YA and light fantasy/paranormal romance you will like it.

message 3: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (severuspls) Yes yes yes! City of Bones, the first TMI, is a bit slow at the beginning but once you get halfway it all kicks in and gets really good! I just started the series last month and I was apprehensive as well but they're definitely worth the read! I read the first 3 TMI books last month and and currently readimg clockwork angel. Apparently to avoid spoilers, you should read them in the order they were published so city of bones, city of ashes, city of glass, clockwork angel, city of fallen angels, clockwork prince, city of lost souls, clockwork princess then city of heavenly fire

message 4: by C Jia Ming (new)

C Jia Ming (cjiaming) | 26 comments Yeah! TMI got me started with this bookworm craze. But I'm still with the Infernal Devices. Cassie Clare rocks!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (samfalston) | 29 comments I should add that the world building is also fairly good and the characters are interesting so far. Although I'm not really digging the romance at this stage (I'm 3/4 through the first book).

message 6: by Aleshia (new)

Aleshia (madscibrarian) If you like Urban Fantasy it's a great series. Originally The Mortal Instruments was a planned trilogy but extended to another 3 books. The 4th book was all right, the 5th was awful-- mostly about whiny relationship problems, but the 6th was fantastic and got me really excited for her next series in the Shadowhunter chronicles, The Dark Artifices (as it talks about those main characters a little bit). I thought I would be burnt out but she reeled me back in.

I do think that the Infernal Devices is a better series overall. I really enjoyed that one much more. If you want to, you could read TMI and TID in publishing order since the last TMI books were written at the same time as all TID books. It isn't necessary at all but it is written to be a little of interest to the reader/fandom. If so, go read the first 3 TMI, then the 1st TID, then 4th TMI, 2nd TID, 5th TMI, 3rd TID, 6th TMI.

If you start with TMI and don't like maybe the plot or characters but the world is still interesting, just drop it and try TID. I have some friends who have only read TID and they love it. They just didn't get dragged into TMI or just didn't get around to it yet.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan I'd say it's worth it. They aren't the best books in the world but they are fun! The writing is decent, the plot has a nice flow and for the most part the characters are interesting and believable. I think Cassandra's Clare's biggest problem with the series was she could have easily stopped with the last book in the trilogy but when she decided to continue it was more like "Ok, been there done that blah blah blah". I know that was the case for me haha I used to love Clary and Jace (the two MC's of the story) but after a while I just wanted to punch them in the face and leave them stranded on an island where they could just chill for a while and stop creating problems for everyone.

Charity (Reading at Midnight) (charitysbooks) | 18 comments I finished the first one and am currently trying to decide on whether or not to read the second. I think I will. The books are just so big and there are so many other books to read! But I have a feel I will anyway.
When I was looking it up I found this:
Open #3
http://www.cassandraclare.com/frequen...

This is the authors opinion on what you should read first :) this has convinced me more to read the series!

message 9: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 11 comments YEAH! They're amazing! Personally I think you should start with the Infernal Devices because it's my personal favorite! But Cassie is amazing!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 67 comments Little Stana wrote: "Hello you guys,

I think you should read both the mortal instruments and the infernal devices . yes they are connected but you don't have to read both series at the same time you can but you don't have to . but it does make it easier to know what's going on though.

message 11: by Maxi (new)

Maxi (misawesome) Yes yes yes! I've only read the first two books in the infernal devices but they were both so good I enjoyed it so much. It might take you a while to get into her writing not because it's bad it's just really detailed but after a time you look past it, but yeah you should definitely read her books

message 12: by Breanne (new)

Breanne (breegreen_books) | 62 comments YES! READ HER NOVELS! If u aren't feeling City Of Bones when you first read it, read the infernal devices then go back to The mortal instruments! but if u do love it at first read, then read it in order of publication :) You'll love it!!! I swear! They are addicting!

message 13: by Luna (new)

Luna | 8 comments Yes you definitely should! My friend reccomended reading the infernal devices first because the mortal instruments kind of spoilt some plots of the infernal devices, and after reading the the prequel series you can read the mortal instruments and find out about all the great great great grandchildren of couples that are made in the infernal devices. Also, some small, otherwise insignificant events or places in the mortal instruments make a lot of sense or are a pretty big deal if you've read the infernal devices

message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah | 5 comments I say yes. Her books are a lot of fun good humour, good adventure and they make you cry a bit. I really enjoy her books despite all the drama surrounding the author.

message 15: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) Unpopular opinion here. I've read the first two and I don't think they were worth my time. City of Bones was okay but did not offer anything new or particularly interesting. It was still decent enough for me to continue but I disliked the second book even more and to be honest don't remember much of what happened.

The books are very heavily based on drama - misunderstandings, characters not talking to each other about their feelings, etc. I really don't enjoy that but if you do you might enjoy them.

I think you can find much better fantasy novels out there.

I am thinking though, about reading The Infernal Devices since it's in Victorian era and I think I might like that. Plus everyone talks about that Will guy. We'll see.

message 16: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Liakou (eleniliakou) | 25 comments You should definitely read all the Shadowhunter novels! I know the first two TMI books are not that great and many people seem to have trouble with them, and I was no exception! But trust me, once you get through these first two ones, the series gets better and better! However, you could always start with TID, personally I think they're a little bit better than TMI... Anyways, you should totally give Cassie a try, she's a very good author! :)

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily  (dustsmokeandglitter) | 74 comments I <3 Cassandra Clare!

message 18: by Leah (new)

Leah | 5 comments Ana wrote: "Unpopular opinion here. I've read the first two and I don't think they were worth my time. City of Bones was okay but did not offer anything new or particularly interesting. It was still decent eno..."

I've heard a lot of people say the Infernal Devices is better than TMI not sure if that's true as I haven't read them.

message 19: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) Yeah, me too. Let's hope it's true.

message 20: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Avalos | 2 comments I personally loved all of the mortal instruments books and also the infernal devices books, but if you feel like the mortal instruments is too much of an undertaking definitely read The infernal devices!!

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison | 57 comments I love them all, and they do get better as they go!!!

Sofia Kathryn Coon | 22 comments So glad someone started this chain. It's in my list. Hope for it to be my first series of 2016.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (little_stana) | 7 comments Thank you everyone who has answered me any helped me decide.
I am already reading TMI and so far so good. Hapoy to see where this takes me and what my final thoughts will be.

message 24: by Reem (new)

Reem (rmoustafa) | 114 comments I hope you enjoy it because I LOVED the series. Again, like others have said to avoid spoilers read it in the order they were Publishes, but that means switching back and forth between two different series and plot lines even though they're in the same world. I read it as:
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
Clockwork Angel
Clockwork Prince
Clockwork Princess
City of Fallen Angels
City of Lost Souls
City of Heavenly Fire

I really enjoyed it and I found it easier to read that way since it was originally going to be a trilogy. So basically you're reading the original then the Infernal Devices which is the prequel pretty much and the the last three books of the Mortal Instruments which is a continuation so it is like a sequel.

Sofia Kathryn Coon | 22 comments Little Stana wrote: "Thank you everyone who has answered me any helped me decide.
I am already reading TMI and so far so good. Hapoy to see where this takes me and what my final thoughts will be."

Thanks so much! i'll use this list to follow the story.

message 26: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_beckett) I tried reading TMI but I couldn't get passed the third! I really want to try again but have no motivation to start them at the moment unfortunately! I guess I just got confused and I could quite grasp what was happening at points but like I said I do want to give this series another try as o know so many that love the series and I want to join in with the fandom!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 31 comments I haven't read TMI series, but I have started TID trilogy. Clockwork Angel is an Amazing first book in a trilogy! I was hooked less than 3 chapters in which considering that I was very skeptical of ANY of Cassandra Clare's books really says something!

My opinion is try out TID. My friends have told me that it is much better than TMI.

Catarina Rasquilho They are amazing!

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimscarecrow) | 34 comments Her TMI series is decent. I really hate Jace and Clary, but the books are quick reads and the likeable other characters make up for Jace and Clary. I appreciate the way her series hits on different paranormal creatures. While it will never be a personal favorite, I would absolutely recommend it for anyone who enjoys paranormal books, but isn't sure what they want to read. TID is better in my opinion, but I still had some issues with it. Overall, a decent world with decent characters. Really fun to read. I haven't decided if I want to read the other books in this world though. Maybe if I find them cheap and can marathon them? I want to read The Iron Trial so I can see how Cassie writes when she isn't in the Shadowhunter world.

message 30: by Mahra (new)

Mahra (passionist) | 92 comments OH MY LORD YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

message 31: by Abegail (new)

Abegail | 11 comments YEESS! TMI is okay but TID is really good. The characters are all great and the romance involved isn't any typical kind of love triangle there is.

message 32: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (afictionworld) | 11 comments I haven't finished The Mortal Instruments series, but YH definitely read her books! I plan to finish reading both popular series (the infernal devices & the mortal instruments) before Shadowhunters premieres on Tv :)

message 33: by Annelie (new)

Annelie Read it and make up your own mind about her books, itis really hard to make assuptions about her books. I like them, my sister hates them.

message 34: by Jacky (new)

Jacky (jakukuerine) | 4 comments If you like fantasy and a good story, you MUST read them. You won't be disappointed :)

Start with City of Bones.

message 35: by coeur de samurai (new)

coeur de samurai (coeurdesamurai) | 71 comments I'll say meh. I read the two first books of TMI and I wasn't hooked. It was really cliché and a lot of instalove. Not my type. I'll read the rest one day but for the moment I don't feel it.

message 36: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Crisp (georgiaschamberofbooks) | 3 comments Personally I would say no because I couldn't even get through the first book, but I will definitely be trying again one day, so maybe give them a shot! :)

message 37: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulacruzp) Hmm I'd say meh. There are better books out there I think. But if you do decide to read them, the first three are the best in my opinion (they alone already give the story a sense of closure). I think after writing City of Glass (the third) Cassandra Clare took a break, wrote the Infernal Devices trilogy, and then decided to continue with Mortal Instruments, writing City of Fallen Angels and the other two. So they're kind of unnecessary, more of an extension to it all creating problems that didn't exist before. Butttt yeah.

message 38: by Aislin (new)

Aislin Brunt Personally I really didn't like her mortal instruments series passed the second book. But I loved her infernal devices trilogy, so definately recommend that one.