Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > 12 Days of Summer Challege - Official Rules - ended

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slayermel (last edited Jul 19, 2009 05:09PM) (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Officially the rules are as follows:

1. The first book you read must be related to Summer or the beach some how. I'm not going to be to hard core on this as long as you can explain how it relates ;op

2. The 12 Letter word is "Beach Blanket" In order to spell ‘Beach Blanket'– the books have to be read in order (that is you cannot read a book with a ‘K’ title after the ‘B’ title, you must read ‘E’ title after ‘B’ to spell ‘Beach…’)

3. ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ at the beginning of titles do not count (for example ‘A Christmas Carol’ counts as a C titled book)

4. You must read unique books for each letter (noting there are doubling up of B, E & A letters) so the total number of books read for this challenge is 12.

5. I'll set up a separate thread for the participants to share their reading plans & to update the rest of us on how they're doing as well (non-participants, please feel free to encourage the participants)

6. When you have completed the challenge, make sure you send me a message to let me know - remember the first one to finish will receive a little present from me. Include your address with your message please.

7. Official starting date: August 1, 2009. There is no official end date (it's a mini relax kinda game it being summer holidays and all).

Good Luck everyone!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments YAY I'm excited!!!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Sounds like fun!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) Can we change our lists in the future or do they have to stay the same?

message 5: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1008 comments You can make changes, Sarah, up to any time before reading the particular book you need. You just have to make sure to read books with titles that will spell out BEACH BLANKET in that order.

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 61 comments Just to clarify-the first book has to start with a "B" and be related to the beach or Summer in someway right? Just want make sure I'm not supposed be reading a summer book then the other 12.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Joanie that is correct.

The B in beach is your summer/beach related book, part of the 12 required.

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (annenoise) Sounds good, I'll be on the lookout for "B" summer books. Will there be a list of recommendations or anything? In case I miss something obvious, heh.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Maybe scan through the reading lists people have posted? I used that to get ideas for a coule letters...

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Aaron wrote: "Sounds good, I'll be on the lookout for "B" summer books. Will there be a list of recommendations or anything? In case I miss something obvious, heh."

I also just typed the word Beach in the search on GoodReads and came up with a lot of books.

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 61 comments I've already read it but The Beach House by Jane Green would work and it's a quick, easy, summer read.

message 12: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Also it does not necessarily have to have the word beach or summer in the title, if you can explain how the book relates to the beach or summer in your eyes, that's fine. I do want people to be able to get through their mount to be Reads as much as possible.
:0)
By the way the lists that have been created so far have been fantastic so like Lauren said, have a peek at some of them. :0)
Good luck

message 13: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 66 comments Can the first book be related to a sea journey? I figure if you're at sea there's got to be a beach near, right?

message 14: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments your explanation sounds good to me ;op

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Can we read two books at the same time, just as long as we finish in the right order. I usually have a book on the nightstand and a book downstairs for when the kids are napping.

message 16: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I'm okay with that, as long as "B" is finished before "E" and so on. They have to be read in order.