Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

XI. Misc > Trying to figure out what genre my book is ...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Blackwood (ellieblackwood) | 64 comments Hey everyone!

Currently, I'm working on the second draft of a YA novel. It's going really well, but there's something niggling me -- I don't actually know what genre it is.

It's definitely a fantasy, and it's set in the modern day, so it has elements of Urban Fantasy. However, most of it (as in, about 95%) is set in a dream world. The main antagonist is a demon, so does that make it Supernatural Fantasy? (Is that even a thing?!)

I'd really like to hear your thoughts!

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments Paranormal is a very popular genre.
Includes everything from vampires and werewolves, shapeshifters to mer-peope and demons/angels.

There is a sub-category on amazon of paranormal devils and demons romance. Most books of this type either fit into romance or horror.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Blackwood (ellieblackwood) | 64 comments I did think it might be paranormal, but it seems to lean towards Fantasy as well, due to the dream world, adventure, etc. (it's definitely not romance or horror. There's barely even a romantic subplot, though that might change eventually). Paranormal Fantasy, perhaps?

Crossing genres ... This is getting interesting!

And, of course, thanks for your take on this, Emma!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments In that case, have a look at this
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Blackwood (ellieblackwood) | 64 comments Ooh, excellent. I'll have to remember that for when I come to publish!

message 6: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Clark | 3 comments Hi Ellie,
When you publish, part of registering with National Library helps to fix genre concerns. Maybe look into CIP to get some ideas. TJ

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments You'll have to explain registering with National Library and CIP, those organisations aren't familiar to me.

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments Ellie wrote: "I did think it might be paranormal, but it seems to lean towards Fantasy as well, due to the dream world, adventure, etc. (it's definitely not romance or horror. There's barely even a romantic subp..."

Paranormal Fantasy is kind of redundant. The modifier paranormal is necessary only if it belongs to a genre other than fantasy. Paranormal elements in an urban fantasy is simply urban fantasy. There are many urban fantasies that contain angels and demons.

message 9: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Clark | 3 comments Emma wrote: "You'll have to explain registering with National Library and CIP, those organisations aren't familiar to me."

Go to National Library page and search or search for catalog in publication (CIP) and peruse information there. :) TJ

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Hi Ellie,
I had the same issue when publishing my recent novel Opium Warfare. I couldn't distinctly place it under one specific genre right away as I needed to break it all down, plan and even get feedback and ask such as your doing now.

I actually wrote a blog post about my experience which was just published on someone's blog, feel free to read it, I hope it helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

http://www.cosmicteapot.net/index.php...

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Harrison (stormingtime) | 75 comments Justin wrote: "Hi Ellie,
I had the same issue when publishing my recent novel Opium Warfare. I couldn't distinctly place it under one specific genre right away as I needed to break it all down, plan and even get ..."

That's a very good and interesting piece, Justin. My novel has a whole heap of genres, so I had some fun on my blog...

https://stormingtime.wordpress.com/6-...

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Thanks Steve. I find its best to just go with the story and idea you have at mind and worry about where to place it afterwards.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments T.J. wrote: "Emma wrote: "You'll have to explain registering with National Library and CIP, those organisations aren't familiar to me."

Go to National Library page and search or search for catalog in publicati..."

Of what country? This is an international list.

message 14: by Nina (new)

Nina Norstrom | 38 comments Gee, I read all the interesting comments, great insight from all! But I was wondering . . .
In a case like that, can't a story fall under more than one genre? Seems to me, that's even better.
So does it work that way?

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophieg13) | 11 comments I would think that it would still land within the urban fantasy genre

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Blackwood (ellieblackwood) | 64 comments Reading all your comments with interest, guys! Thing is, I'm wondering if it still counts as urban fantasy if most of the action doesn't occur in the real world, but in someone's head...