Investor Central discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 35 comments Mod
anyone have any stories or comments regarding Real Estate Investing? I'm very interested in learning more.

message 2: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 35 comments Mod
I have had some positive experience with investing in "used mobile homes" that are located in local mobile home parks ... thats about the only experience that I've had in real estate.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (Gireesh42) I have grown up around real estate brokers and work in brokerage as an assistant. Real estate is the safest investment one can make, at least this is what I have been taught. Don't let the nation's mortgage meltdown deter you. This was caused by irresponsible lenders and stupid buyers who didn't know any better. Currently residential investment is probably not your best bet in most markets, especially if you're looking to flip a house, say, in a year or two.

Commercial investment, however, is still a good bet if you are willing to take the time to find a good asset. Personally, as soon as I have enough money set aside I am going to look for a partner who can also invest some capital and begin with a small deal and work my way up. Starting from scratch in real estate may take a little while to work up your equity, but if you work with that equity intelligently and are patient, its practically a no-lose situation.

message 4: by Marc (last edited Mar 30, 2008 05:10PM) (new)

Marc | 3 comments I own several properties in England and have always liked this side of investing - main things to take into consideration:

* Ensure that you don't need to cash in on the asset quickly, real-estate is a non-liquid asset it takes time to sell.
* Ensure that you have enough capital stashed away to cover costs (mortgage in most cases) on the property if it is vacant for a reasonable length of time (personally I keep this at 9 months cover).
* Don't try and go 'against' the flow of a market - if you're in the UK or USA at the moment don't consider purchasing until you are sure the market has bottomed out or you could find yourself having to hold onto the investment for a considerable length of time just to recover the initial investment amount (if you must purchase now then try and factor in at least a potential 20% drop to any price you offer).