Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Nominations & Polls > January 2016 nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments The January 2016 nominations are open.
The categories are:

Love

Crime

Nominations close Friday 11 December

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Wow, at this rate, voting'll be easy.

message 4: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
I'll nominate later this week! I'm away for the weekend without my list copy.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I have been struggling to get to the monthly books so I am going to sit out this round of nominations and polls.

message 6: by Kaycie (last edited Dec 07, 2015 04:40AM) (new)

Ok, I am going to be quite annoying and set up some challenging nominations (because i plan on reading then anyways and want company!). All I ask is that people who vote for them actually plan to participate! And if the long one wins, we can certainly extend over 2 months or more like we did with vanity fair.

For love: Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson Clarissa, by Samuel Richardson

For crime: V. by Thomas Pynchon V, by Thomas Pynchon

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Kaycie -- both of those are great books! Enjoy :)

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

Excellent! :-) I really enjoy Pynchon, but his books take some work, and Clarissa is just so long that starting is occasionally daunting. I was hoping nominating them would encourage me to start.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Lisa - somehow the poll for January's Love category got duplicated; it is currently poll #2 and poll #3! I didn't vote in either as I wasn't sure which one you would want to keep...

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Thanks Leslie

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments It happened because I created the polls with my tablet. It's fixed now

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments ha! I love how you nominate Clarissa and V and say "if the long one wins", as though V is some titchy novella :). It amused me.

message 14: by Kaycie (new)

Lol i thought that, too...Pynchon always takes forever, but that's really okay. I honestly didn't think people would vote for it, but as it looks like it's going to win, I'll have a conversation with the people who are actually going to be around to see how long they'd like to take and maybe even try for a schedule.

Any interest, phil?

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments I've actually read it before, but my year of reading women will be up soon, so I could finally read a book by a male author again. I was considering Gravity's Rainbow, but I suppose I could read V again.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "I've actually read it before, but my year of reading women will be up soon, so I could finally read a book by a male author again. I was considering Gravity's Rainbow, but I suppose I could read V ..."

I have been considering rereading Gravity's Rainbow in 2016 sometime, if you want to do a buddy read.

message 17: by Kaycie (new)

Dang, I would have loved company when I read Gravity Rainbow last summer and i really don't know if I'm ready for a reread yet. I think i still need a bit more time. :-)

message 18: by Kaycie (new)

Hi all,

I've already read both of this month's books and won't reread (but will still participate in discussion!), so will end up reading V instead anyways. If anyone wanted to join for a buddy read of this one, let me know and I can set up a thread for that.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 427 comments I know this isn't the spot for this .... but I've just visited the web page of Good Reads, rather than the app for the first time in 6 months and what the HELL has happened to it? When did the new fonts and layout happen? Is this part of its amazonification? It looks horrible!

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Phil wrote: "I know this isn't the spot for this .... but I've just visited the web page of Good Reads, rather than the app for the first time in 6 months and what the HELL has happened to it? When did the new ..."

LOL! It just happened about a week or so ago. I installed an add-on to Chrome to change the font (and background color) but I found it is not as bad on Firefox...

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Haven't seen it yet, I'll have to go look. Usually use the app.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Haven't seen it yet, I'll have to go look. Usually use the app.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments As can be evidenced by the double posting...

message 24: by Kaycie (new)

Phil wrote: "I know this isn't the spot for this .... but I've just visited the web page of Good Reads, rather than the app for the first time in 6 months and what the HELL has happened to it? When did the new ..."

Weird...i very much like the new font!

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think it looks great.