Secular Humanists discussion

The Silence of the Humanists

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

A group with no posrs? That's sad. It's like the Australian folk-myth of the pub with no beer.

At the heart of humanism is there only silence and emptiness?

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 2 comments Well, I hope not, because I'm fairly new here. After being a fundamentalist Christian for 40 years, I finally became an atheist. However, I didn't like to define myself by what I was against, but rather what I was FOR. So, recently I have determined that I am a humanist. Now where do I go from here? I am hoping that this Goodreads group will be a resource of books to read for my further enlightenment.
One of my areas of interest is social outreach to the homeless and veterans. In my town, it seems like the religious organizations have the "ministry" all to themselves. So I would like to find out if there are secular humanist organizations around to support.
Thanks for th question, Andrew. Have a happy new year!
Joe

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 9 comments Hey Joe, I was a mainline Protestant. I never actually believed in the Bible stories like the flood and miracles, and more and more came to know that there is no "God" who created us and judges us. Living in "The People's Republic" of Cambridge, MA, I bet I have a lot more secular options to choose from.

What part of the country do you live in? You may find a comfortable space with Quakers or Unitarians. In my experience, many Unitarians are atheists. Also, go beyond your town to a larger city to find organizations focused on a cause, not on a religion,

You have my sympathy. Since reading Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion, I have tried to start discussions with people I see as free thinkers. Even here in Godless Massachusetts, most people reject the label Atheist.

I also read "God is not great", by Christopher Hitchens, which is a bad-tempered rant against all religion. It's fun to read and educational, but as a person who seeks the good in everything, I felt a bit guilty enjoying it.

Have you read Richard Dawkins? His books can be heavy going because he explains the science, but if you stick with it you learn a ton. And he has kindly thoughts for religious people who try to serve humanity.
Barbara

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe | 2 comments Barbara,

Yes, I read The God Delusion. Very good. The author that has made the most difference in my thinking is Sam Harris. I have read all of his books, except for the most recent one. Another thought-changing author is Jerry Coyne. I haven't read any of Hitchens yet, but I have watched him on YouTube. I sure get a kick out of his droll humor.
Here in northern Idaho, there is a group, The North Idaho Secular Society, that I have recently joined. A bunch of great folks, and I look forward to getting to know them better. They have a great library, too.

Joe

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hell is nothingness.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 9 comments Nothingness sounds kinda peaceful to me.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "Nothingness sounds kinda peaceful to me."

"God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through." Paul Valery

Imagine Sisyphus happy, said Albert Camus. I cannot imagine anything worse than madness.