The New Weird discussion

Urban Weird

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by c (new)

c | 13 comments New Crobuzon, Armada, Well-Built, Ambergris, Veniss... What makes each city, borough, and neighborhood unique and compelling?

message 2: by c (new)

c | 13 comments May I just begin this thread by proclaiming that Mieville's Armada is the greatest city ever imagined. The nine "ridings" are what makes the city so interesting, populated by a fascinating tangle of races, politics, and mysteries. Each riding is a whole world in itself, so vast that the book doesn't have enough pages to explore the worlds that it creates! And it's a MOVING city, bytheway, which used to only exist on space ships until Mieville came along.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments Cog wrote: "May I just begin this thread by proclaiming that Mieville's Armada is the greatest city ever imagined. The nine "ridings" are what makes the city so interesting, populated by a fascinating tangle o..."

I agree with you Cog, Armada is also my favorite out of the ones you have listed, with Ambergris being my least fav, by far. I just love how Armada is connected, and self contained, yet so diverse all at the same time. The Well-Built city also has always intrigued me. Though I felt I wanted to learn more about it- meet more of its people, roam its streets and buildings. New Crobuzon however, is an amazing staggering creation and I loved the intricacies of it throughout Perd. St. Sta. and Iron Council. Actually, in the Scar some was also learned about New Crobuzon though mostly vicariously.

message 4: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobaugust) Cog wrote: "May I just begin this thread by proclaiming that Mieville's Armada is the greatest city ever imagined. The nine "ridings" are what makes the city so interesting, populated by a fascinating tangle o..."

Can't forget Iron Council, Mieville's second moving city. Smaller than Armada, of course, but no less fascinating

message 5: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobaugust) Also, I'm familiar with four of the five names (well, familiar with two, aware of two more), but what's "Well-Built"?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments Well Built is from Jeffrey Ford's series starting with the Physiognomy

I was thinking though of a city that came long before all of these and that all of them have aspects of, (esp. Well-Built) is Viriconium by M. John Harrison. His is the oldest and the most enigmatic and deepest by far of the others. His stories based on Viriconium are all collected in the book of the same name now and are the type of literatue that can be read and reread without grasping all the authors themes.

He is also well respected by all the authors listed who created these other worlds. If anyone out there hasn't read Viriconium, I would say it's a must read of the genre. Be warned, it's not the easiest read, but it is so worth it

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
I agree, Amanda. Actually, any Jeffery Ford you can get your hands on is probably going to be worth reading.