IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
This topic is about Hyperbole and a Half
Book Discussions > December 2015 Graphic Novel: Hyperbole and a Half

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) For December's alternate pick, we'll be reading the hit graphic novel by Allie Brosh, Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened. Here's a synopsis:

This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!

As always, post your thoughts/questions/general creeped out feelings about this book here!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (seaanemone) | 19 comments I just...didn't find it funny. Shrug. The art leaves a lot to be desired for a graphic novel pick. Maybe it all works better as a blog, but this was not for me. Everyone else seems to love it!

Hannah (hannahsatreat) | 19 comments I just finished this a few minutes ago.

Heather - I see what you mean. When I think "graphic novel" I think of illustrations that artfully accompany and advance the story. This was not really the case for this one. I had not read the blog before reading the book.

I was laughing out loud at some stories. Especially as a dog owner, some of the anecdotes were silly. Her story about the talking parrot reminded me of something my sister and I would do and made be wonder about how many of all of our talking childhood toys mysteriously stopped working.

I liked the real-life stories more than the metacognitive ones toward the end. It does bring up a good point, though, about how much of our actions simply done to be acknowledged if only by ourselves. Okay, that's as deep as I get. Still glad I read it.

Also, the beginning of this book fits nicely with the month's theme of time travel. I've often wished to speak to my younger self. I've even written in the margins of old journals to respond to old situations.

I've gone on long enough.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (seaanemone) | 19 comments Hannah -- Haha, I noticed a lot of the bad reviews it received mentioned the reviewers disliked dogs. Maybe I need more dogs in my life to fully appreciate it ;)

Kathleen (victorianlibrarian) | 15 comments I loved this! Just finished it last night. It was hysterically funny, sometimes tragic. It was an interesting look at how the graphic novels format can be used in very different ways!

Sonia I started it a long time ago. Didn't like it so much at that time so I put it on hold. Then I picked it up again 2 weeks ago and further into the book I started really enjoying it. Totally looking forward to her new book. I've listened to one or two of her interviews on podcasts. Quite interesting.

The only thing I have a little problem with is how she talked about her days struggling with depression. I think she may have put it just a bit too lightly in the book. I know the book is taking the more light-hearted route.... That still makes that episode sound too easy... While it's her own experience and her right to portray it the way she wants, I just feel that people who don't have similar experience may have the wrong impression.

But overall I had a good time finishing this book. I think my favourite is the goose attack. I can't believe she cared to film it on her phone at that time!