Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Renee's 2016 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonya (last edited Feb 19, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

Tonya | 5 comments This is my first challenge in this group (and other than a personal challenge to read 100 books in one year back in middle school, my first ever challenge)! I'll be aiming for a blackout, and am going to brainstorm some ideas for what to read, but will mostly be winging it as next year progresses.

I hope that I'm doing this all correctly; please tell me if I'm not.

I wish you all the best of luck :)

0/24

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic
B3: Classic of Africa
B4: Children's Classic
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s
I2: New-to-You Author
I3: Classic Play
I4: Banned Book
I5: Published in the 1700's

N1: Classic of the Americas
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection
N5: Classic of Europe

G1: Published in the 1600's
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century
1984 finished Feb. 18th
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Classic from School
G5: Published in the 1800's

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region
O2: Gothic Classic
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Hooray for your first challenge. I hope you enjoy this one. Happy Reading.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments Good luck with your challenge. It's fun to figure out what to read next that will fit one of the squares. I hope you enjoy it!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1216 comments Good luck with the challenge, Renee. I hope you have fun with it!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Renee, I hope you enjoy bingo! It's such fun!

I played for the first time this year and just loved it!

message 6: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Good luck Renee.i am in the first time too

message 7: by Tonya (last edited Dec 06, 2015 11:28AM) (new)

Tonya | 5 comments First, I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement! Second, I want to wish Stephanie and seriusedward good luck on their first Bingo challenges as well~ :).

Finally, I want to start brainstorming about what I might read for this thing!

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate
The Sound and the Fury
For Whom the Bell Tolls

B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic
Frankenstein(Probably going to save this for the Gothic square)
Dune (Probably this one)
The Lord of the Rings

B3: Classic of Africa
I really don't know what I'm going to do for this one... maybe Out of Africa. But probably something nonfiction from this list of 25 Classic South African Reads.

B4: Children's Classic
The group is reading Le Petit Prince in January and I'm totally reading it for this square. I've wanted to read it since I started studying French and might just be ready to try it in its native language.

B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
So far the only one I believe fits this that I want to read is The Secret Garden. Note to self: I need to look up more literary awards that aren't in the USA and are old enough to have classics on the list.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Good luck with your first challenge :)

Your ideas look great so far...I definitely recommend Frankenstein, no matter which category you select it for.

I think it's a good idea to make loose plans, so you can add to them as you go. Some will always be easier than others.

message 9: by Susie (last edited Dec 09, 2015 05:18PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Renee wrote: B4: Children's Classic
The group is reading Le Petit Prince in January and I'm totally reading it for this square. I've wanted to read it since I started studying French and might just be ready to try it in its native language.

I'll be using it for Bingo also, but not sure which square...it works for a couple of them...

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments My first Bingo too so Happy Reading! Look online under foreign literary prize winners and you'll have several places to turn to. The Secret Garden is excellent as is Frankenstein.

message 11: by Tonya (last edited Feb 19, 2016 04:25PM) (new)

Tonya | 5 comments So, it's been a while since I've posted because of family emergencies, but things are calming down a bit now and I think I'll be able to read more regularly!

I just finished 1984, and I'm counting it for my G2 square because I don't really know where else it might be able to go XD

message 12: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I hope all is better with your family.

Renee wrote: "Note to self: I need to look up more literary awards that aren't in the USA and are old enough to have classics on the list."

They don't really have to be that old, "modern classics" work, too, because many of the prize winners have the potential to become classics. Also many countries haven't had awards for that long. The main point is to find something from another area/culture.