2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > PaTea: 24 books, and more?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Jul 22, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I will set myself a goal of 24 books for 2016, slightly more than in 2015. I will also continue the pop-sugar challenge that I started in summer 2015. And I'm hoping to dive into the world of e-reading next year... Overall, much fun awaits!

From fiction to reality - 0/2 pairs: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Book Riot's Read harder challenge - 2/6: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I-Spy: Book Titles Edition Challenge 2016 - 4/10: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Popsugar 2016 - 7/20: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Around the World in Books Challenge - 2016 - 10/18:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... #593

2016 summary

Format:
Audio - 2
E-book - 7
Hard/paper back - 3

Started but did not finish: 1

Author interview attended:
- 10 May, Nuruddin Farah

Geographic - authors:
Australia - 1
Austria - 1
Japan - 1
Nigeria - 1
Syria - 2
UK - 2
USA - 4
Yemen/USA - 1

Language read in:
English - 17
Finnish
French
Spanish
no words - 1

(Popsugar 2015 - 11/50: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments When you start e-reading, check out Bookbub. They have great deals.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Thanks so much for this tip :)

message 4: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I'd love to hear any recommendations, especially based on the books I liked so far this year! They don't have to be from the same authors as here.

Read so far:

The Call of the Wild/White Fang by Jack London ***

The Post-Office Girl by Stefan Zweig *****

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie *****

The Wallcreeper by Nell Zink ***

Just So Happens by Fumio Obata ***

A Hand Full of Stars by Rafik Schami *****

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran ***

The Arrival by Shaun Tan ****

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali ***

One Day Soon (One Day Soon, #1) by A. Meredith Walters ***

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I find that since I got my e-reader for Xmas I'm reading a lot more overall. Could be coincidence so far, but I do feel that because it's so easy to take everywhere (& fits easily even into a small handbag) that I tend to read just a bit more... And to think it took me so long to convince myself to give into the e-reader.

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm glad to hear that your e-reader has helped you read more! Having a book nearby all the time definitely makes a difference because all those minutes add up. :)

message 8: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Monthly Challenges > April - Earth Month Challenge
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Aiming for one book.

--> I never managed to finish the book & returned it to the library un-read.

message 9: by Patricia (last edited Mar 29, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments 2nd Quarter Challenge: Clear the Shelves
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
(message 35)

0/7

message 10: by Patricia (last edited Apr 05, 2016 10:45AM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Just finished. Loved it!
Swift as Desire by Laura Esquivel *****

Already at 11/24. Keep going, me :-)

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I notice that I'm signed up to several challenges (and keep wanting to sign for more) & seem to be reading lots compared to my usual pace but not many of the books I read seem to fit into the yearly challenges I signed up for...

I wonder how others approach challenges. Do you read what you fancy and then try to link the book(s) to challenges or do you let yourself be guided by the challenge(s)?

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm having the same problem right now, Patricia... My quarterly and monthly challenges are going better than my yearly challenges. I tend to forget about them because the shorter deadlines make me focus on them first.

I usually let myself be guided by the challenges when selecting books, but sometimes I have books already picked out and decide how many books to sign up for in the challenge depending on how many fit.

Right now I'm trying to make an effort to read books for the I-Spy challenge, because I'm doing the worst on that so far.

message 13: by Patricia (last edited Apr 08, 2016 09:18AM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Hi Cassandra. Good luck on your I-spy challenge. I've also signed up for it...luckily still have time to reach my very modest goal.

My problem seems to be that my reading moods vary, so even if I've pretty much picked out a book or books for a challenge I risk being carried away by another that suits my (then) present mood before I can get to the one I intended to read. Oops!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Just finished this surprise read:
Apollo by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie *****

I don't tend to read many short stories, but really enjoyed this.

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's true! Sometimes I find that having books picked out help keeps me on track, but sometimes I just want to pick up whatever seems interesting. It's all about finding what works for you at the time.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I was reading until 5am to finish this book. It is captivating yet depressing and I just wanted to reach the end quickly: to know what happens and to not be depressed by the book (while acknowledging the reality behind the story).

Shtum by Jem Lester *****

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Currently reading Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home & trying one of the recipes. First batch of oatmeal cookies are in the oven :-)

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Hmm, the cookies were a bit too salty for my liking. And I had a expected more gooey cookies, but they were very dry. Next I'll try a cake..another day.

message 19: by Patricia (last edited Apr 17, 2016 05:23AM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Years ago at uni my friend recommended a book to me that had kept her up all night reading and made her skip the class that we usually walked to together in the morning. That book was Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon. And it wound up keeping me up, too, long hours reading. But I never read the rest of the series...

Last night I discovered on Netflix they adapted the books by D.Gabaldon to a tv series. And I got curious to re-read Cross Stitch...and the rest of the series, too (luckily because there is only one season available on Netflix).

Though I'm willing myself to finish reading the ten-ish books that I've already got going.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Finished Stir My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home by Jessica Fechtor ***
and am all inspired to bake more :-)

message 21: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Finished
A Time For New Dreams by Ben Okri ***

I find it difficult to rate this book, though I liked a lot of it (some parts had me baffled and others I was not too keen on). It certainly provides (little nuggets of) food for thought. It's a kind of book you read in bits, digest and go back to.

message 22: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Read a short story: Oktober by Martin Amis *

I didn't particularly like it, confused me a lot.

message 23: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 10:45PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Finished listening to: Big Magic Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert ***

Probably the first audiobook that I enjoyed listening to...having had to make a lot of effort previously to concentrate when listening to an audiobook. As for the content, overall I thought it was ok-good.

message 24: by Patricia (last edited May 11, 2016 10:45PM) (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments I have exceeded my expectation, it seems, having read already 17 out of my goal of 24 books for 2016. But a few of those books are so short that I hope to read a few extra 'thicker' books...and to finish more books that I already have at home.

message 25: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited May 11, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Great job Patricia! It sounds like 2016 has been a great reading year for you so far. If you decide to increase your goal, we will be more than happy to help you do so:)

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Great job Patricia! It sounds like 2016 has been a great reading year for you so far. If you decide to increase your goal, we will be more than happy to help you do so:)"

Thank you, Kadijah :-)

I've now finished another book, but suspect that I will be reading a bit less less in the coming couple of months. Perhaps a goal of 28 books would be realistic...or 30 if I want to push myself.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Just finished reading: Hiding in Plain Sight by Nuruddin Farah ***

I quite liked the book. And I plan to read another book by N. Farah, too, having bought it in a recent (public) interview with the author.

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments Finally finished reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ***

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 172 comments The first few months of the year I was reading lots, but in the second half of the year I was struggling to finish what I started and in general was not often in the mood for reading.

I finished my reading challenge - just - but did not complete any of the reading challenges I listed above.

Several books I started remain to be finished - some I gave up on completely and even gave away. I will be more modest in my reading goal in 2017 :-)