SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Expired Challenges > 2015's Best of the Best

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Raquel (Rocki) (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:58PM) (new)

Raquel (Rocki) (raquelgabrielle) | 914 comments I am in for this one.

Goodreads Choice Awards 2015:
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Maybe: Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce Brown

Amazon's Best Books of 2015:
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Maybe: Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees Science Fiction/Fantasy/Paranormal:
Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4) by Patricia Briggs Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8) by Darynda Jones
Maybe: Kitty Saves the World (Kitty Norville, #14) by Carrie Vaughn

message 3: by ladymurmur (last edited Dec 13, 2015 04:07PM) (new)

ladymurmur | 668 comments Oh, why not? I'm in! Holding this spot for my list.

Going through the lists to find titles I haven't already read, or that I won't need to catch up on a whole series to get to. Happily, there are still PLENTY of options to choose from. :-)

Goodreads Choice Awards 2015
Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Amazons Best Books of 2015
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1) by Jim Butcher Seveneves by Neal Stephenson Uprooted by Naomi Novik Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi Alice by Christina Henry Alive (The Generations Trilogy, #1) by Scott Sigler The Mechanical (The Alchemy Wars, #1) by Ian Tregillis The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1) by Bradley P. Beaulieu Zer0es (Zer0es, #1) by Chuck Wendig Letters to Zell by Camille Griep Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

Publishers Weekly Bestof 2015
The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin First Light (The Red #1) by Linda Nagata Uprooted by Naomi Novik The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley Magonia (Magonia, #1) by Maria Dahvana Headley Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older MARTians by Blythe Woolston

B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015
Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1) by Zen Cho The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty, #1) by Ken Liu Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine Flex ('Mancer, #1) by Ferrett Steinmetz The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins Planetfall by Emma Newman Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1) by Lila Bowen The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

The Washington Post's Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books of 2015
The Only Ones by Carola Dibbell Three Moments of an Explosion Stories by China Miéville Touch by Claire North

2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees Science Fiction/Fantasy/Paranormal
Our Lady of the Ice by Cassandra Rose Clarke The Fire Sermon (The Fire Sermon, #1) by Francesca Haig Menagerie (Menagerie, #1) by Rachel Vincent Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1) by Kate Elliott The Gilded Scarab by Anna Butler Captive Prince Volume One (Captive Prince, #1) by C.S. Pacat

message 4: by Barbara ★ (last edited Nov 30, 2016 10:54PM) (new)

Barbara ★ I'm in. making a list and checking it twice.

2015's Best of the Best
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2016

READ: 15/16

Goodreads Choice Awards 2015:
Saint Odd - Dean Koontz 1/17
Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - George R.R. Martin 3/19
The Aeronaut's Windlass - Jim Butcher 10/1
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3) by George R.R. Martin The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1) by Jim Butcher

Library of Souls - Ransom Riggs 1/3
Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3) by Ransom Riggs

B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015:
Vision in Silver - Ann Bishop 7/19
Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop

The Washington Post's Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books of 2015:
The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin 11/28 DNF
The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin

2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees Science Fiction/Fantasy/Paranormal:
Eighth Grave After Dark - Darynda Jones 1/18
Born of Defiance - Sherrilyn Kenyon 7/28
Wicked Ever After - Delilah Dawson 6/28
Dead Heat - Patricia Briggs 8/5
Feel the Burn - G.A. Aiken 4/13
Ink and Bone - Rachel Caine 7/25
The Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins 5/24
Time Salvager - Wesley Chu 7/15
Menagerie - Rachel Vincent 7/6
Of Silk and Steam - Bec McMaster 8/20
Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8) by Darynda Jones Born of Defiance (The League, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4) by Delilah S. Dawson Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4) by Patricia Briggs Feel the Burn (Dragon Kin, #8) by G.A. Aiken Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins Time Salvager (Time Salvager #1) by Wesley Chu Menagerie (Menagerie, #1) by Rachel Vincent Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5) by Bec McMaster

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 950 comments SOS: Serious Overload of Series
2015's Best of the Best
Duration:
1/1/2016 - 12/31/2016

Goal: Read 12 books found on one of the following BEST OF 2015 lists. Lists culled for those books fitting SOS' PNR/UF/Fantasy theme. To see the full list, click on the links provided for each. List your book choices and the BEST OF list where it was found now or as you read. Be sure to include your 1-5 ✮ rating.

Progress: 3 out of 12

Finished in 2015:
(view spoiler)

Goodreads Choice Awards 2015

1. Hawkeye, Vol. 4: Rio Bravo by Matt Fraction - ***** - 2/7/2016 - 160 Pages
2. Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews - ***** - 2/17/2016 - 342 Pages
3. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella - **** - 6/26/2016 - 286 Pages

The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13) by J.R. Ward Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4) by Sarah MacLean Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2 Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson Hawkeye, Vol. 4 Rio Bravo by Matt Fraction Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

message 6: by Doreen (last edited Jan 02, 2016 03:45PM) (new)

Doreen (jadzia_dax) | 40 comments I can't help myself, i'm in!

SOS: Serious Overload of Series
2015's Best of the Best
Duration: 1/1/2016 - 12/31/2016

Goal: Read 12 books found on one of the following BEST OF 2015 lists. Lists culled for those books fitting SOS' PNR/UF/Fantasy theme. To see the full list, click on the links provided for each. List your book choices and the BEST OF list where it was found now or as you read. Be sure to include your 1-5 ✮ rating.

Progress: 0 /12

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy So...am I too late to get in on this? I've never tried a challenge before, but it sounds like fun. And it just so happens I am looking for a new series to read.

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Nope, not too late at all. You're welcome to join at any point during the year. If, between Jan 1-your sign up date, you have read a book that qualifies, you can add it to your list.

We have lots of open challenges and are always adding more. Feel free to jump in on any. Here's a list of all of our challenges - open and closed. You can join any challenge that doesn't say "closed" - those had a specific to/from date that have passed.

Here's to your next new series! :D

message 9: by Sam (last edited Dec 29, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Sam | 1011 comments 2015's Best of the Best
Duration: 1 Jan - 31 Dec 2016

Goal: Read 12 books found on one of the following BEST OF 2015 lists. Lists Lists culled for those books fitting SOS' PNR/UF/Fantasy theme. To see the full list, click on the links provided for each. List your book choices and the BEST OF list where it was found now or as you read. Be sure to include your 1-5 ✮ rating.

1. Shadow's End- Thea Harrison- 1/1/16- (2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award)- 4 stars
2. Red Queen- Victoria Aveyard- 9/17/16- (Goodreads Choice Awards 2015)- 4 stars
3. Ink and Bone- Rachel Caine- 12/14/16 (B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015)- 4 stars
4. A Court of Thorns and Roses- Sarah J. Maas- 12/23/16 (Amazon's Best Books of 2015: Young Adult)- 4 stars
5. Six of Crows- Leigh Bardugo- 3/9/17 (Amazon's Best Books of 2015)- 4 stars
6. One Good Dragon Deserves Another- Rachel Aaron- 6/22/17 (2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award)- 4 stars
7. Archangel's Enigma- Nalini Singh- 10/14/17 (2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award)- 4 stars
8. Illuminae- Amie Kaufman- 10/25/17 (Amazon's Best Books 0f 2015: Young Adult)- 5 stars
9. Bound by Flames- Jeaniene Frost- 12/26/17 (2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award)- 4 stars
10. Winter- Marissa Meyer- 3/21/18- (Amazon's Best Books of 2015: Young Adult)- 4 stars
11. Golden Son- Pierce Brown- 5/13/18- (Goodreads Choice Awards 2015)- 4 stars
12. The Dragon Conspiracy- Lisa Shearin- 12/29/18 (2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees Science Fiction/Fantasy/Paranormal)- 4 stars

message 10: by ladymurmur (last edited Dec 06, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

ladymurmur | 668 comments Closing in on the end of the year and this challenge. Not sure if I'll make it all the way to 12 titles. So many of the available titles that I'd want to read, I did back in 2015. Of those left, I'd need to read one or more titles to catch up to the title for this challenge. And others either have a long wait list at the library, or when they are available, they aren't what I'm in the mood to read. But those I have read, I've really enjoyed. So even if I don't finish the challenge, it was a win for me. :-)

1. Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine -B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015 - 5 stars
2. Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman -Amazons Best Books of 2015 - 5 stars
3. The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2) by Lisa Shearin -2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees - 4 stars
4. Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews -2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees - 5 stars
5. The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1) by Kim Harrison -B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015 - 5 stars
6. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan -Amazons Best Books of 2015 - 4 stars
7. Flex ('Mancer, #1) by Ferrett Steinmetz - B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015 - 5 stars
8. Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1) by Zen Cho -2015 RT Book Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees - 5 stars
9. Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone Street Rumba, #1) by Daniel José Older -B&N's The Best Sci-Fi & Fantasy of 2015 -- 5 stars
10. Mechanica (Mechanica, #1) by Betsy Cornwell - Amazon Best Books of 2015 - 4 stars