What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. plant related magic and wooden sword/wands [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlen (new)

Arlen | 4 comments That is about all the information I have.

I feel like I read an excerpt or two posted on io9, as that is where I get most of my SF/F news.

In the excerpt I believe there was also the use of some sort of portal and some sort of emphasis on colors...but I may be conflating some other things.
I also recall fighting with the wooden sword/wands that seemed a bit brutal...

Sorry to be so vague.
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Was it a novel or a short story?

No idea if this could be it, I usually don't read fantasy, but Shadow & Claw (which is two novels bound together) has a fight scene involving plant weapons. I think the leaves on the plants are more like knives and are very deadly. There could have been wooden swords/wands and a portal in it too, I don't remember.

What do you mean by plant related magic?

message 3: by Arlen (new)

Arlen | 4 comments I believe the book I'm looking for is fairly recent.
Pretty sure within the last five years.

I read Shadow of the Torturer a while back and think I recall what you are referring to, but for sure this is a different book.

But thanks for the suggestion any how!

message 4: by infael (new)

infael | 21 comments Brent Weeks's Lightbringer Saga involves color and is pretty recent. I don't know how to use tags here, but the 1st book is The Black Prism.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:56AM) (new)

Kris | 33359 comments Mod
Links for infael's suggestion - The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Lightbringer series = https://www.goodreads.com/series/4967...

(I clicked "add book/author" to add the links above. This only works on the desktop site.)

message 6: by Arlen (new)

Arlen | 4 comments Also not it. But thanks for the suggestion.
And sorry for the late response.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments Perhaps a book by Tamora Pierce, particlarly her Circle of Magic series. One of the main characters has plant magic.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33359 comments Mod
Link for Janet's suggestion of Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4355...

message 9: by Arlen (new)

Arlen | 4 comments Found it!
The Mirror Empire

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!