2016 Choose Your Own Challenge Challenge discussion

Prompt Discussions > A book about mental illness

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 195 comments Mod
Are you planning on reading a memoir? Biography? Psychology book? Fiction with a protagonist with mental illness? There are many beautifully written books about mental illness.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm use this book for both this challenge and Around The Year In 52 Books : Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly.its the first time I've read it but in it she writes what it was like,so its her ture story.

message 3: by Charline (new)

Charline (charline84) | 80 comments I'm going to use Girl, Interrupted for this prompt. I've never read it before, but have always wanted to.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 89 comments I'm going to read Clara Hughe's memoir for this one. Open Heart, Open Mind
I met her at the book signing for this in Calgary and she seemed like such a genuine lovely lady. I'm excited to read it.

message 5: by Tara (new)

I read that for a memoir or something like that this year, I really enjoyed it.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 30 comments I'm thinking maybe The Bell Jar I'm not for sure since that book can fit into like three different catagories

message 7: by Tara (new)

I just finished The Pocket Wife and it was really good. Not "about" mental illness but the protagonist is bipolar and it's certainly a major factor in the story.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria (redtiger21) | 3 comments I've just started Elizabeth is Missing, whose protagonist, Maud, has dementia. I've heard wonderful things about it, and I enjoy unusual narrative voices, plus I spent five years caring for people with dementia, so I'm really excited to get into it!