Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Kick Ass Heroines

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I joined GR in 2009...it seems like a lifetime ago now. When I first joined, I read about 30 books a month. Now, I'm lucky to stay awake folding laundry.

However, one genre always pulls me back in. My actual bookshelves are lined with these types of books. I love a good Kick Ass Heroine story. I love the tough as nails, in your face, loyal, and strong female lead.

What books, characters, authors, or plots that keep you coming back? Who are your favorite Kick Ass Heroines?

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 9 comments Jill Kismet by Lilith Saintcrow.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jpacemn1) | 1 comments I would say Kate Daniels from Ilona Andrews

message 4: by Nka300 (last edited Dec 04, 2015 09:51PM) (new)

Nka300 | 12 comments All of Lilith Saintcrow's books
Kushiel series from Kushiel's dart.
Thomas deprima - A world unknown series
Theirs not to reason why series by Jean Johnson
Anita Blake series and the Merry Gentry series by the same author
Books by tara k. Harper is you can get it, is also a favorite

that's all i can remember for now.

message 5: by Nevada (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:37AM) (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 53 comments I would nominate McKenzie from the The Shadow Reader series by Sandy Williams.

Also, no one ever knows about one of my very favorite series (The Sun Sword by Michelle Sagara West) that basically revolves around 4 different powerhouse women (every type of strong woman - warrior, diplomat, leader, femme fatale) with a further supporting cast of 5 more strong, well-defined women.
The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, # 1) by Michelle Sagara West The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2) by Michelle West The Shining Court (The Sun Sword, #3) by Michelle West The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5) by Michelle West Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4) by Michelle West The Sun Sword (The Sun Sword, #6) by Michelle West
I really cannot say enough about this series if you're looking for strong, colorful, well-drawn women. I absolutely love this series.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments My favorite kick ass heroines I love to read are:

Cat Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Kate Daniels Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Rose Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
Elena Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter #1) by Nalini Singh
Tayla Pleasure Unbound (Demonica #1) by Larissa Ione
Sin Sin Undone (Demonica #5) by Larissa Ione
Carrow Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole (pretty much all the heroines in Kresley Cole's IAD series)

message 8: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) Jennifer L Armentrout Lux Series and Covenant Series has awesome kick ass heroines.
Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Books-fly-to-me (omegawega) | 2 comments Patrick Weeke's Rogues of the Republic has a great strong heroine with a quirky supporting cast. Three books in the series and they're swashbuckling and funny.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 111 comments Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews & Mac from the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.

message 11: by Cindi (last edited Dec 03, 2015 05:20PM) (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Magic Bites
Dead Witch Walking
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1) by Seanan McGuire
Wow...there are SO many!

message 12: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I have Rosemary and Rue on my list to read this month. It has been on my shelf for years. Glad it has a strong female lead.

message 13: by Nka300 (new)

Nka300 | 12 comments Nevada wrote: "I would nominate McKenzie from the The Shadow Reader series by Sandy Williams.

Also, no one ever knows about one of my very favorite series (The Sun Sword by Michelle Sagara West)..."

Her other series chronicles of elantra is also great

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 73 comments Veronica Blade, Jennifer L. Armentrout, and R.L. Mathewson are my favorite authors to read. They write great stories with kick ass heroines. I read any and everything by them and I'm never disappointed!

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 53 comments I loved Harper Hall. She's definitely more kick-ass in book 2 than in book 1, but she's always smart and tough and hilarious Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations Book 1) by Isabel Jordan Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, Book 2) by Isabel Jordan

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (ams71) | 1 comments Jane Yellowrock Series by Faith Hunter

message 17: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Angela wrote: "Jane Yellowrock Series by Faith Hunter"

Love Jane!

message 18: by Reacherfan (new)

Reacherfan | 27 comments Gin Blanco - the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep

'Lex' Luther - the Boundry Wich series by Melissa F. Olsen

I liked the Black Wings series by Christina Henry, but thought the ending was beyond lame.

Robyn Peterman writes two hilariously funny series, Ready to Were books and Fashionably Dead books, with great heroines.

G.A. Aiken (Shelly Laurenston's pen name) does the Dragonkin fantasy romance series with various heroines all of whom can hold their own. Dragon Actually is the first book and features Annwyl the Bloody.

message 19: by Akaria (last edited Jan 26, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Akaria Gale | 101 comments Sin Undone is suuuuch a good book! Had the warm and fuzzies for a week after reading it.

I nominate Sirantha Jax Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre Space faring AND ass kicking!

message 20: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt | 22 comments I love reading Demons at Deadnight Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1) by A&E Kirk Drop Dead Demons Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles #2) by A&E Kirk Demons in Disguise Demons in Disguise (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #3) by A&E Kirk by A&E Kirk. Awesome kickass heroine and hot guys.

Also I just completed Crimson Bound Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge by Rosamund Hodge yesterday. Heroine Rachelle is kickass too...

message 21: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (rsb1105) | 8 comments Victoria Danann's Knights of Black Swan saga. Elora is a strong and courageous kick-ass heroine. Along with a whole bunch of sexy knights, a quirky demon, and other supporting characters.

message 22: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (lonnonie) | 7 comments Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews) is the most badass kick-ass heroine of them all!

Also agreed on G.A. Aiken's heroines. :)

message 23: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Has anyone tried the Throne of Glass series yet, by Sarah J. Maas? The main character is an assassin.

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas

message 24: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Reynolds (eareynolds) | 17 comments Sounds interesting. This is the first time I've heard of it though.

message 25: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (lonnonie) | 7 comments I started reading the first book in the throne of glass series.. However I think about 3/4 of the way through I stopped. I can't quite remember why but the heroine just wasn't for me, I think. It wasn't bad though either, so I'll definitely revisit it when I have more time on my hands :)

message 26: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments There were times when I read this series that I forgot the main character was only 18. I wanted her to grow up, but the series has gotten better. I'm starting book 4 this week.

message 27: by Mette (new)

Mette | 41 comments I will agree with a lot of the above recommendations.

Especially
Jeaniene frost
Ilona Andrews
Jennifer estep
Chloe neill
Rachel vincent

But also would like to recommend:
Susan Illene sensor books, the first one is
Darkness Haunts by Susan Illene

message 28: by Dahrose (new)

Dahrose | 55 comments don't forget Lily Yu - from Eileen Wilks Lupi series. She's strong, wears a badge, stands up to the alpha man in her life and is pretty much all round kick ass. Great series, start with -

Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks

message 29: by Katie (last edited Apr 20, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Katie Jaros (katiejaros) | 33 comments So ridiculous maybe-- but the first name that comes to my mind this afternoon is Rose from Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy! I know it bridges more YA...but I truly found her to be strong and confident, but also flawed-- which I think is really important to avoid being too Mary Sue. She's the tough warrior to her best friend, Lissa...but the romance focuses around Rose's relationship with her mentor. I always picture a really sexy Kat Denning to a younger Viggo Mortensen...really fun letting your mind wander on that!:) My mind also harkens back to Buffy-- not a book, obviously...I'm always on the look out for characters like that. Katniss, duh...there need to be more! I'm going to read through this thread and see what I can discover too.

message 30: by Beige (new)

Beige Thanks for all of the recommendations. I've read a bunch and agree with the kick-assed-ness of:

Ilona Andrews
Jeaniene frost
Chloe neill
Sirantha Jax series
Jane Yellowrock series
Tayla in the demonica series
Elena in the Guild Hunter series
Mac from Karen Moning's Fever series is a bit annoying at the start of the series but the awesome world/story more than makes up for it!
Angelfall (more on the YA side of things, but gritty and super fast paced)
Kushiel series (more of a traditional fantasy than uf)

Here are a few I'd like to recommend in return:

Fortune's Pawn (Paradox, #1) by Rachel Bach don't let the cover put you off, it may be in space but it very much follows the cadence of a typical urban fantasy. And my humble opinion, awesome!

Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #1) by Amelia Hutchins this indie is better than many published UF I've read. It has a great take on the fae, but be warned it's quite dark, violent and (ahem) erotic

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Quite different from other UF, but dark and fun

Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland This series just gets better and better

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells This is one that gets better and better too. Lots of action and strong headed caused trouble, but a great world and chemistry

On the YA side of things:
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore A fab fantasy trilogy, so imaginative

Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce Anything by Tamora Pierce. So good!

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Not quite "kick ass", but a super compelling, original and worthy trilogy

message 31: by Bigpallooka (last edited Apr 20, 2016 06:32PM) (new)

Bigpallooka | 17 comments What about Midnight's Daughter

Dorina Basarab is even more compelling than Cassie Palmer and she is more dangerous than most kick-ass heroines.

I also agree with those who put Kate Daniels right at the top of the list.

After reading a few of the Elemental Assassins books but I found Gin Blanco to be TSTL on too many occasions. Advancing the plot by causing a strong heroine to make stupid mistakes is one of my pet peeves.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 195 comments I adore Katherine "Kitty" Kat series by Gini Koch https://www.goodreads.com/series/4792...
and
Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones https://www.goodreads.com/series/5263...

message 33: by Dahrose (new)

Dahrose | 55 comments Xandra Vardan from the Immortal Empire series is another great kick ass heroine. Even with a gorgeous alpha werewolf for her mate Xandra never backs down, or takes the easy road. She's loyal, even when family and friends waver in their belief of her.

Steam punk, action, Victorian England, werewolves and vamps - this series has it all. Start with God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1) by Kate Locke

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Giving a shout out to the Steel and Stone series. To have this kick ass of female lead in a YA series feels like a rare find anymore. Especially one where a romance isn't shoved in your face right away.

Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone #1) by Annette Marie Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone #2) by Annette Marie Yield the Night (Steel & Stone #3) by Annette Marie Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone #4) by Annette Marie Unleash the Storm (Steel & Stone, #5) by Annette Marie

The series just wrapped up and I've read to book 4 and can vouch for it.

Cordelia the Ardent Reader Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Giving a shout out to the Steel and Stone series. To have this kick ass of female lead in a YA series feels like a rare find anymore. Especially one where a romance isn't shoved in your face right ..."

I'm looking for such a book. Thanks for the recommendation

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia Heller | 4 comments Hey there,
I love the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.
Cheers
Julia

message 37: by Sandra J (new)

message 38: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Not sure if anyone has read this series, but I've read the first two books and genuinely enjoyed them. They're set in Australia, but Lora Blackgoat is a great character! There is a slight love triangle, but not really lol

Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1) by Rebekah Turner Chaos Bound (Chronicles from the Applecross #2) by Rebekah Turner Chaos Broken (Chronicles of Applecross, #3) by Rebekah Turner

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia Heller | 4 comments Nicole Peeler

Jane True series

message 40: by Aniketa (new)

Aniketa | 22 comments One of my favorite kick-ass heroines is Phedre from Kushiel's Dart.

message 41: by PR1998 (new)

PR1998 | 1 comments Girl in the box by Robert J Crane is a favorite of mine !! I've gone back and read through the 10 book series twice!! I'm currently reading book eight of Girl out of the box series which is a second series based on Sienna Nealon. She's sarcastic and doesn't care what people think but cares about people in general and is always putting herself on the line to be the hero.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz | 3 comments Memoirs of a Girl Wolf by Xandra Lawrence has an awesome female protagonist--she's a wolf shapeshifter and her character develops throughout the book as she learns that she is a wolf, so she turns into a kick ass, strong heroine. The best part is that the story is awesome and you won't be able to put it down--I finished it in like two days and now I'm on here looking for a new book to pick up. Memoirs of a Girl Wolf

message 43: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers (georgiacartermathers) | 45 comments Honor from Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (lostduchess) | 5 comments Jane Yellowrock from the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter.

and of course her Beast.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary | 6 comments Jenna wrote: "I loved Harper Hall. She's definitely more kick-ass in book 2 than in book 1, but she's always smart and tough and hilarious Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations #1) by Isabel JordanSemi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2) by Isabel Jordan"

So true! Loved this series.

message 46: by Dahrose (new)

Dahrose | 55 comments All of the heroines in Jane Cousins - Southern Sanctuary Series are strong. But in particular book 1 features a blood thirsty warrior woman (who is hopeless with men) To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins
And Book 9 To Vex A Valkyrie To Vex A Valkyrie (Southern Sanctuary, #9) by Jane Cousins Just released has the h, chasing the H, demanding sex.

So much fun.

message 47: by Cat (new)

Cat (irishlily) | 6 comments Has anyone else read the Fox Meridian Series or the Kutherian Gambit series?

message 48: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Reynolds (eareynolds) | 17 comments I've never heard of the Fox Meridian Series. Who writes it? I'm in the market for a new series.

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Charley Davidson!!!! So funny and kicks ass and books are awesome!

message 50: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Kera, Jace, and their sister Crows from The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston and The Undoing (Call of Crows, #2) by Shelly Laurenston .

« previous 1