The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Judy's task: Painting 101

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 07, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10890 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Judy's task: Painting 101

I recently attended a "Paint Your Own Canvas" party. At the party, after we inspired our creative muses with a little wine and appetizers, an art instructor demonstrated and then we each painted our own canvas. I had so much fun at the party, that afterwards I did some reading and bought supplies to try on my own. This task is based on fun facts I learned about 3 different types of painting media.

This is a ONE book task. Read one book from one of the following options.

Option 1 - Watercolors - Watercolor painting became popular when it was used for botanical illustrations and wildlife painting. Read a book with a main page genre of Nature, Animals, or Plants. The genre may be stand-alone or embedded, so things like Environment > Nature and Gardening > Plants are OK.

Option 2- Acrylics - Acrylic paint was initially developed in the 1930s, but was refined in the 1940s to the mid 1960s. Read a book FIRST published between 1940 and 1965 (inclusive.)

Option 3- Oils - The paint used for oil painting is usually mixed with another oil to make the paint thinner and adjust the drying time. Linseed oil is most commonly used. Read a book in which the author's initials can be found in LINSEED. Letters may only be used as many times as they appear (2 E's.) Middle names/initials should be ignored.

message 2: by Judy (last edited Feb 17, 2016 02:57PM) (new)

Judy | 857 comments These will work

Option 1
The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks - Environment > Nature 30 users

The Bees - animals > 68 users

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter - Animals > 16 users

Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations - Environment>Nature 5 users

Option 2 -The Body in the Library- first published February 1941

Option 3
The Law of Attraction by N. M. Silber

If more than one author, as long as one author's initials are found in LINSEED it will work

message 3: by Judy (last edited Dec 13, 2015 03:06PM) (new)

Judy | 857 comments These will not work

The Magician's Nephew - does not meet AR bookfinder requirements

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10890 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 794 comments I'd like to use The Body in the Library Originally published in 1941

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments KSMary wrote: "I'd like to use The Body in the Library Originally published in 1941"

That will work for Option 2- Enjoy!

message 7: by June (new)

June | 142 comments Would The Magician's Nephewby C.S. Lewis first published in 1951 work?

message 8: by Judy (last edited Dec 13, 2015 03:07PM) (new)

Judy | 857 comments June wrote: "Would The Magician's Nephewby C.S. Lewis first published in 1951 work?"

GR lists it as published in 1955 (not 1951) but it will still work for Option 2. Enjoy!

ETA: It has children's listed so make sure it meets the AR bookfinder requirements.

@June- I checked the AR bookfinder and I don't think this book meets the requirements- It will NOT work

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 45 comments Can I get The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks checked for the mpg of Nature? Thanks!

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Maddie wrote: "Can I get The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks checked for the mpg of Nature? Thanks!"

Environment > Nature 30 users. Enjoy!

message 11: by Hina (last edited Dec 17, 2015 09:42AM) (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments For option 3, would this book work? The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber. I asked because does the M need to be counted since there is no first name but initials?

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Hina wrote: "For option 3, would this book work? The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber. I asked because does the M need to be counted since there is no first name but initials?"

I need to check with a moderator, to make sure I give you the right answer.

message 13: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Judy wrote: "Hina wrote: "For option 3, would this book work? The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber. I asked because does the M need to be counted since there is no first name but initials?"

I n..."

Thanks...I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Hina wrote: "Judy wrote: "Hina wrote: "For option 3, would this book work? The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber. I asked because does the M need to be counted since there is no first name but in..."

I checked with Kristina to make sure and The Law of Attraction will work for Option 3. The author's initials are considered to be N M S and since you should ignore the middle initial, N and S will work for this option. Enjoy!

message 15: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Judy wrote: "Hina wrote: "Judy wrote: "Hina wrote: "For option 3, would this book work? The Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber. I asked because does the M need to be counted since there is no firs..."

Thanks Judy!

message 16: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Seeking approval for Option 1

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for Option 1

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter"

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter - Animals > 16 users approved for Option 1 . Enjoy!

message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Just want to get genre verified for The Bees
Right now it has Animals > 68 users
Thanks!

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Morgan wrote: "Just want to get genre verified for The Bees
Right now it has Animals > 68 users
Thanks!"

Approved for Option 1 - Enjoy!

message 20: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Option 1: Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations by David R. Montgomery Environment > Nature

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations by David R. Montgomery Environment > Nature"

That will work Environment>Nature 5 users

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments If my author's surname is St. James, does that count as just "S" for an initial, or would the "J" have to be taken into account, too? (for option 3)

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Melanie wrote: "If my author's surname is St. James, does that count as just "S" for an initial, or would the "J" have to be taken into account, too? (for option 3)"

I'll get back to you on this one. I've asked a moderator to make sure I give you the correct SRC answer.

message 24: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Melanie wrote: "If my author's surname is St. James, does that count as just "S" for an initial, or would the "J" have to be taken into account, too? (for option 3)"

I checked with Kristina and the author's last name of St. James won't work for this one.

From the FAQ
If a task calls for author’s initials, what name do I use for the last initial?
While there are great variations in names, we work with the general rule that the author’s last name is the final word in the name that is preceded by a space. We realize that this may not be technically accurate in every case, but this is the default rule.

Since J isn't found in LINSEED this one won't work for Option 3. Hopefully it will fit somewhere else.

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Judy wrote: "Melanie wrote: "If my author's surname is St. James, does that count as just "S" for an initial, or would the "J" have to be taken into account, too? (for option 3)"

I checked with Kristina and th..."

Thank you for checking this out!

message 26: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments I just wanted to check if Will Grayson, Will Grayson works. It was written by David Leviathan and John Green.
DL can be found in LINSEED, but not JG.
Both authors has to be found in LINSEED, or only David Leviathan works?

message 27: by Judy (new)

Judy | 857 comments Gabriella wrote: "I just wanted to check if Will Grayson, Will Grayson works. It was written by David Leviathan and John Green.
Both authors has to be found in ..."

As long as one author's initials are found in LINSEED it will work

message 28: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Judy wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "I just wanted to check if Will Grayson, Will Grayson works. It was written by David Leviathan and John Green.
Both authors h..."

Okay. Thanks!