The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.5 - Bigger is Better - Shelley UT's task: Winter Birthdays

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 11, 2015 06:11PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10895 comments Mod
20.5 - Bigger is Better - Shelley UT's task: Winter Birthdays

Winter is a time for birthdays in my family. This task is to honor three of them.

For this task read ONE book that fulfills one of the options below:

Required: State which option you chose when you post.

1. My mom: My mom's favorite hobby was reading. Read a book with books on the cover or "books about books" main page genre. Example:
The World's Strongest Librarian A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family by Josh Hanagarne The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Required: If using the cover option, include the cover when you post.

2. My dad: My dad's favorite hobbies are playing golf and tennis and watching football (American), baseball and basketball. Read a book with a professional athlete of one of these sports as a main character. This should be obvious from the book's description or main page reviews. The book may be fiction or non-fiction. Examples: Lady Be Good, Ball Four

3. My youngest son Jack: Jack loves everything that goes: cars, trucks, airplanes, trains, motorcycles. Read a book that has a motorized vehicle on the cover.
Required: Include the cover when you post.

message 3: by Shelley (last edited Feb 01, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Shelley | 179 comments These do not work:

Option 3:

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10895 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments Does this need to be more than one book or can I use this one?
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4) by Julia Quinn

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Cathy wrote: "Does this need to be more than one book or can I use this one?
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4) by Julia Quinn"

one book is fine. This works.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments ohh, i have that one on the pile - problem solved really quicky ;)

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For option 1, books on cover?

The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Pia wrote: "For option 1, books on cover?

The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay"

yes, this works

message 10: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Shelley wrote: "Pia wrote: "For option 1, books on cover?

The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay"

yes, this works"

Thanks!

message 11: by Lindsey (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:47PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Would this work for option 3? Interstate 69: The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway

Interstate 69 The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway by Matt Dellinger There is a bulldozer or some kind of construction vehicle to the right.

Here's a larger picture of the cover - https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436889...

message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments I take it that a helicopter is acceptable as a motorized vehicle?
Inhuman (Fetch, #1) by Kat Falls

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Lindsey wrote: "Would this work for option 3? Interstate 69: The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway

[bookcover:Interstate 69: The Unfinished History of the Last Great American H..."

I love it! approved

message 14: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Camilla wrote: "I take it that a helicopter is acceptable as a motorized vehicle?
Inhuman (Fetch, #1) by Kat Falls"

yes, this works

message 15: by Trish (last edited Dec 09, 2015 07:59AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2458 comments My dad's favorite hobbies are playing golf and tennis and watching football, baseball and basketball.

Football in the American NFL sense, presumably, rather than football in the British, ie soccer? In which case, I'm guessing this would work: Playing for Pizza, John Grisham

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Trish wrote: "My dad's favorite hobbies are playing golf and tennis and watching football, baseball and basketball.

Football in the American NFL sense, presumably, rather than football in the British, ie soccer..."

Correct - football in the American sense.

Playing for Pizza works.

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3653 comments Will this work for Option 2?
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
The first review mentions that Bobby Jo is "retired" from the professional team after a knee injury...

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Will this work for Option 2?
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
The first review mentions that Bobby Jo is "retired" from the professional team after a knee injury..."

yes, this works

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Please confirm the motorcycle on the cover - Rev It Up (Black Knights Inc., #3) by Julie Ann Walker . Thanks

message 20: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm the motorcycle on the cover - Rev It Up (Black Knights Inc., #3) by Julie Ann Walker. Thanks"

Yes, this works

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Thanks :0)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

For option 3 does this one work-

Move the Sun (Signal Bend, #1) by Susan Fanetti (back view of motorcycles)

thanks!

message 23: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Sara2 wrote: "For option 3 does this one work-

Move the Sun (Signal Bend, #1) by Susan Fanetti (back view of motorcycles)

thanks!"

approved!

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments For option 1, I have a couple of choices in Mt. TBR :)

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler is pretty clearly a book stack and Why I Read The Serious Pleasure of Books by Wendy Lesser has Writing>Books about Books as genre (and sort-of a bookstack on the cover, tho stylized)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the approval!

And Melissa- The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler is amazing!!

message 26: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Would this work for Option 1? Deception by Amanda Quick

message 27: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Melissa wrote: "For option 1, I have a couple of choices in Mt. TBR :)

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler is pretty clearly a book stack and [bookcover:Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books|17910114..."

yes, they both work for option 1

message 28: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Hina wrote: "Would this work for Option 1? Deception by Amanda Quick"

approved

message 29: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 31 comments Would this work for option 3?

There's a car on both print and audio versions. Have access to both and not sure which I'll wind up using.

Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1) by Seanan McGuire

Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire

message 30: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Julia wrote: "Would this work for option 3?

There's a car on both print and audio versions. Have access to both and not sure which I'll wind up using.

Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1) by Seanan McGuire

[bookcover:Sparr..."

yes, they would both work

message 31: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Hi!

Could you let me know if this will work for a car on the cover? I think it's pretty obviously a car but just in case it's not visible enough I thought I should double check.

Maybe by Brent Runyon

Thank you!

message 32: by Diane L (new)

Diane L For option 2, can I use an autobiography by Andre Agassi? I want to make sure a fictional main character is not required.

Open by Andre Agassi

message 33: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Cait wrote: "Hi!

Could you let me know if this will work for a car on the cover? I think it's pretty obviously a car but just in case it's not visible enough I thought I should double check.

[bookcover:Maybe|..."

Yes, I can tell it's a car. Approved.

message 34: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Diane L wrote: "For option 2, can I use an autobiography by Andre Agassi? I want to make sure a fictional main character is not required.

Open by Andre Agassi"

No, the fiction is not required. This works.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Does this book work for option 3? There are cars on the bridge even though they are small and not the main focus.

The Zarrabian Incident by C.A. James

message 36: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Does this book work for option 3? There are cars on the bridge even though they are small and not the main focus.

The Zarrabian Incident by C.A. James"

I'll approve it.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Shelley wrote: "Laura wrote: "Does this book work for option 3? There are cars on the bridge even though they are small and not the main focus.

The Zarrabian Incident by C.A. James"

I'll approve it."

Thank you.

message 38: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 375 comments Would Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) by Jennifer Estep work for option 3? I don't know much about boats so I'm not sure if either on the cover are motorized.

message 39: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Kait wrote: "Would Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) by Jennifer Estep work for option 3? I don't know much about boats so I'm not sure if either on the cover are motorized."

It looks like it has a motor. I'll approve it.

message 41: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Cindy wrote: "Would this work for option 2? Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty"

Yes, this works.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Shelley wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Would this work for option 2? Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty"

Yes, this works."

Cool. Thanks! :)

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 539 comments Would this work for option 3?Orphan Train
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

message 44: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments Would this work for option one? It seems to be a paper diary.
The Dead House The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich

message 45: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Kathy wrote: "Would this work for option 3?Orphan Train
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline"

No, not enough of the train shows. I just looks like a window that could come from anything. Sorry.

message 46: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 179 comments Bianca wrote: "Would this work for option one? It seems to be a paper diary.
The Dead House The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich"

Yes, this works.

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments Thanks Shelley!

message 48: by Bianca (new)

message 49: by Bianca (new)

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Please confirm Death Comes to London (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #2) by Catherine Lloyd for option 1. There is a book on the cover. Thanks.

« previous 1