Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Bookopoly (2015 - 2016) > (Optional) Reviews

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
The game only requires you to post reviews in order to buy property. But several of us have enjoyed reading the reviews of books we've chosen for each other in past POTS games. And I just made a recommendation yesterday where I'm interested in hearing what the person thinks about it, to help decide whether to put it on my TBR or not.

So ...

If you feel like posting a review here, or linking to your GR review of a book you've read for this game but not in order to purchase a property, this is the place to do it. No requirement, no pressure.

message 2: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin | 39 comments I really like this idea! Most of you all have books on your book shelf that I haven't read, nor heard about. I know I'll be on this thread a lot, if people decide to use it!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
I'm glad you like the idea, Kaitlin. A bunch of the mods were talking about this the other day, and I for one am always in favor of Reviews of the books everyone is reading. I agree, there are a lot of books on people's shelves that look really interesting.

Thanks for setting up the thread, Susan.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1342 comments So, I'm apparently the first here.

I've just finished A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, which Dee had picked for me.

Amazingly, I had never read this novella before, and I had never read anything by Charles Dickens on top of that -- this, despite my having studied English Literature for 5 years at University. Bah.
I really loved the book, it was a great read, and it also reminded me of my childhood, because I'd read the Disney comics version with Scrooge McDuck as Ebenezer Scrooge. Wonderful, that one was, and this book is no less wonderful.
I really must read something else by Dickens sooner or later.

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8453 comments Mod
I'm glad you enjoyed A Christmas Carol, Marina! It's a terrific novella!

Most of his works aren't that easy nor that little though lol - they're rather monstrous in size. I've only read a few but they are quite worth the effort so far :)

message 6: by Dee (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:52PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments here is my short review of Stolen Years: Stories of the Wrongfully Imprisoned

i received this book as an ARC through Edelweiss - there was something about the description of it that caught my attention - and the stories within were gut-wrenching. The book itself is fairly simplistic - it focuses on the stories of 10 different people - from different states, different walks of life; some parents, some not; some young and some old; male and female - all of whom were found guilty (by either a judge or jury) and spent time in prison for crimes they didn't commit. The shortest sentence mentioned in the book was 10 years, but many were significantly longer. I def. started to tear up in a few places. I think the story that to me was the worst was the one for the guy who served 10 years in prison for raping his daughter, only to have her recant - her reasoning - she was angry that he wasn't spending enough time with her and her sister...and she continuing to threaten him after his release whenever she got mad at him...

message 7: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1342 comments Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

I had been told this book was funny, so I thought I would read it, as from time to time I do need something funny. But either I have no sense of what is funny, or my idea of funny differs radically from that of literary critics and similar. However, this book is extremely good, 4.5 stars I would say, so it doesn't really matter if it is funny or not.
It talks about very important and difficult topics, such as racism in Southern US during the Twenties and Thirties, or homosexuality, without ever saying the word. And it does so in a very light and delicate way. So I would rather say it is heartbreaking, rather than funny.
One of the best books I've read this year, for sure.

message 8: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1342 comments The Radiant Way by Margaret Drabble

This is the most boring book I've read this year, and also the worst, apart from those two that were so bad I couldn't finish them. It's more 1.5 stars really, as it is isn't incredibly, utterly bad -- just bad.
I guess this would be more interesting to English or British people, but to me as an Italian, it didn't really appeal. I only finished it because it was a gift from a new-found friend.
Also, I didn't like that the author makes a point of showing off how cultured and well-read she is. This was plain showing-off, really.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments Brave New World

Review
There are some books that IMHO everyone should read, Brave New World is one of them - although I'll admit that I'm just reading it for the first time as an adult. I don't know if I agree with the Brave descriptor...scary maybe...some interesting commentary on the role of religion and science and can they coexist with each other; or can you be a scientist and still believe in God. the idea of mass breeding children was different; and the undertone of racism, with the better breeders being minorities was different

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1342 comments Hey Dee, I'm so glad you liked Brave New World, it's one of my favorite books -- and I do agree with you, everyone should read it! This year I read it for the second time (first one in English, I had read it in Italian before), and I loved it just as much as the first time.

message 11: by Bea (last edited Feb 25, 2016 01:00AM) (new)

Bea | 4409 comments Mod
I was not going to take time to post reviews here, but one book has been nagging at me to do so.

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War by Joe Bageant

I read this book for Bookopoly as well as for Pursuit. (There is a small American flag on the back wall.)

I think this book appealed to me mostly because of the title, initially. However, I found that it was well-written, which kept me reading. Mr. Bageant writes from the prospective of an insider who has escaped.

He grew up in the redneck, backwoods, poor South of the mountains of Virginia. I grew up on the edges of that same place, although my father was more educated and a physician. That raised me just out of the culture that Mr. Bageant lived in. But, I knew it.

He went to college and moved out, which allowed him to experience other ways of thinking...so did I. Now he has moved back. He knows the language and behavior of that Christian backwoods subculture but does not fit within it as he did as a child.

This book is political as he talks about the impact of this subculture on the elections and governmental stances of America. And, I think he hit the nail on the head.

It is a scary world he talks about...an ignorant, easily led, militant, poor world that has many more members (good people all) who will push and scheme for a narrow-minded future without ever realizing the damage they do to others all while trying to protect what they see as their own lives or way of life - freedom.

I think this book needs to be read by more and notice taken of it as it points to a society that is in trouble.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2125 comments Finished Aftershock: A Thriller by Andrew Vachss and found the subtitle to be a bit of a misnomer. I didn't find the story thrilling; the plot was a bit disappointing and the character development was lacking. The ending was predictable as well which didn't help. Two stars at best.