What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens British Family turn big house into home for neighborhood pets [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments I used to read this as a kid in the late mid-late 90s.

It's about a family who live in an old farmhouse, the dad is paralyzed in a wheelchair. The oldest son loves animals but they were not allowed pets.

There are new build apartments in the area that are not allowed pets so the children offer to home a springer spaniel for another child. They hide this from their parents but they eventually discover it. They then open their house to the pets that cannot live with their owners.
There was a few dogs, a kitten, a horse.

A key story in it was an Alsatian that they took in from a businessman, it had to be kept on a chain between two trees in their field. It ran away and went back to it's owners, where the staff their could not approach it and due to the fierceness, said it would have to be shot. Son from the family comes in and saves the day after noticing the dogs chain is wrapped around the dog's legs.

I can't for the life of me remember the title or author, I have been googling for at least an hour now! The only other thing I remember is that I owned it in hardback and it had an illustration of the family, house and all the animals on the front.

Any ideas? Thank you!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Not sure, but could it be Hotel for Dogs? There are some similarities in that book with what you're describing. Hope this helps :)

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments No not that one I'm afraid!

Remembered something else though...

The house and garden is a bit run down because the mum has to work and the dad is too injured, but the parents and children who own the animals they are housing help them out so it makes the house and family better.

It's very Enid blyton but it was too modern for her

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments Found it!

It was Enid Blyton, The Children at Green Meadows

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Great! Here's the link - The Children At Green Meadows by Enid Blyton.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Children at Green Meadows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Enid Blyton (other topics)