Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Travels
This topic is about The Travels
Book Issues > Marco Polo - Separate tool

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ila (new) - rated it 4 stars

ila | 12 comments Hi there,
I just found that the whole "Marco Polo Guide/Map" serie has been somehow combined wit the actual 13th-century travelogue written down from stories told by Marco Polo, the Italian merchant traveller.
That's a lot of titles wrongly combined.

I can't fathom how to fix this, is anyone able to help?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments First thing to do is check each edition and make sure marco polo is the primary author on all of them.

You can then separate the incorrectly combined editions, then if necessary sort out the author names if incorrect.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments All editions are now set correctly,

Can you link to the editions that should not be combined

message 4: by Annika (new)

Annika | 568 comments I have a question, should the maps and travel guides be liked under Marco Polo the novelist?
I mean it seems a bit counterintuitive that an author from the 12th century to write current maps and guides?

message 5: by ila (new) - rated it 4 stars

ila | 12 comments @Annika of course he is not the primary author. Actually I think most scholars agree on him being illitterate, the Travels (il Milione in italian) are the only literary work that goes by his name and even those he dictated to someone else :)

@Paula I believe all the Maps ang Guides in this list are wrongfully attributed to Marco Polo as the author, while they refer to Marco Polo Travel Publishing (http://www.marco-polo.com/).
But I don't know how to rectify this.

message 6: by Arenda (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:42AM) (new)

Arenda | 19991 comments ila wrote: "I believe all the Maps ang Guides in this list are wrongfully attributed to Marco Polo as the author, while they refer to Marco Polo Travel Publishing (http://www.marco-polo.com/).
But I don't know how to rectify this. "

Moved the guides to Marco Polo Travel Publishing: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Also moved Handbook, Phrasebook and Atlas editions.
About the maps: not sure they are valid as a book on Goodreads. I suspect all maps need NAB'ing.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Arenda wrote: "I suspect all maps need NAB'ing."

If they fold out to one single sheet of paper, they definitely need NAB'ing. If they are booklets containing other info I believe they are allowed.

message 8: by Annika (new)

Annika | 568 comments I think there were a few of both.

message 9: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19991 comments The spiralbound editions and the ones with an obvious page count are moved to the Travel Publishing page.

message 10: by ila (new) - rated it 4 stars

ila | 12 comments Annika wrote: "I think there were a few of both."

Great job @Arenda.
How does NAB'ing works? should we refer to Superlibrariarians or is something we can do on ourselves?
(i'm sorry to bother you all, but i really dislike to find city maps under the name of a medieval merchant, can't help it)

message 11: by Annika (new)

Annika | 568 comments Lol, I do agree with you. I don't like it either we need to have some order in our midst.

I think we should leave the NAB'ing for supers and staff, they do know best after all :)

message 12: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19991 comments All maps have been NAB'ed, or moved from the profile.

message 13: by Annika (new)

Annika | 568 comments Thanks for the help Arenda :)

message 14: by ila (new) - rated it 4 stars

ila | 12 comments Thank you all!