You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Delitealex's 2016 World Trip

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Delitealex (last edited Jun 11, 2016 01:58AM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I don't know what sites I'm gonna pick yet. I can't wait to get started the tasks are definitely interesting.

Six continents (as defined by YLTO's standards)
1. North America
2. South America
3. Europe
4. Africa
5. Asia (mainland)
✔6. Australia (includes islands south of mainland Asia)

message 2: by Delitealex (last edited Jul 03, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Canada:
0/3
a. Dinosaur Provincial Park
- Read a book set in Alberta Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1) by Benedict Freedman
- Read a book about dinosaurs (living or fossils) Dinosaur Lake by Kathryn Meyer Griffith
- Take home item – Piece of petrified bone: Read a book that has the word “bone” in the title A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1) by Ellis Peters

New Zealand:
3/3
a. Te Wahipounamu – South West New Zealand
- ✔Read a book set in New Zealand Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1) by Rosalind James 4/24
- ✔Read a book in the fantasy genre (sorry, can’t help but think of the Lord of the Rings movies) Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1) by Brian McClellan 1/9
- ✔Take Home Item – Chunk of Glacier Ice: Read a book where there is snow/ice on the cover, or “snow” or “ice” is in the title.
Coltrain's Proposal by Diana Palmer 2/11
China:
1/3
a. Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang
- Read a book set in China Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2) by Diane Wei Liang
- ✔Read a book in which there are dragons The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1; The Twelve Kingdoms #4) by Jeffe Kennedy
- Take Home Item – Jade: Read a book with the word “Jade” in the title or subtitle.  The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang
-

Singapore:
0/3
a. Singapore Botanical Gardens
- Read a book set in Singapore Snake Agent (Detective Inspector Chen, #1) by Liz Williams
- Read a book in which a garden is a significant location or gardening a significant activity
- Take Home Item – Orchid: Read a book with the word “Orchid” in the title or on the cover

message 3: by Delitealex (last edited Jun 14, 2016 06:03AM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments USA
c. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Read a book set in Hawaii Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2) by Toby Neal
- Read a book about volcanoes
- Take home item – Coconut: Read a book that has coconut in it, whether it’s on the cover, in the tree, cooked/baked into food

USA
b. Grand Canyon National Park 1/3
- ✔read a book set in Arizona or Nevada Brownies & Betrayal (A Sweet Bites Mystery, #1) by Heather Justesen 6/14
- read a book that has a significant river in it.
- Take home item - Arrowhead: Read a book about First Nations life where arrows were used. Will accept arrowheads on the cover.

Mexico and the Caribbean 1/3
b. Agave Landscape and Ancient Industrial Facilities of Tequila
- Read a book set in Mexico
- ✔Read a book where agriculture plays a significant role A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell 2/8
- Take Home Item – Bottle of Tequila: Read a book where alcohol plays a significant role.

Peru 2/3
b. Lines and Geoglyphs of Nasca and Pampas de Jumana
- ✔Read a book set in Peru The Copper Egg by Catherine Friend
- ✔Read a book set in space. On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) by David Weber 1/19
- Take Home Item – Bird: Read a book with the word bird in the title or the author’s name. Bird Box by Josh Malerman

message 4: by Delitealex (last edited Feb 08, 2016 10:11PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Egypt:
a. Memphis and its Necropolis
- Read a book set in Egypt The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) by Elizabeth Peters
- Read a historical fiction about one of the Pharoahs Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge
- Take Home Item – Scarab: Read a book with the word “Scarab” in the title or the subtitle
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason

Morocco: 1/3
a. Medina of Marrakesh
- Read a book set in Morocco
- ✔Read a book that is about food, glorious food. Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2) by Chris Cavender 1/25
- Take Home Item – Olive: Read a book with the word “Olive” in the title, or pictured in a drink on the cover Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) by J.A. Konrath

United Kingdom
c. New Lanark
- Read a book set in Scotland
- Read a book about child labour.
- Take Home Item - Ball of wool: Read a book with wool or clothing made from wool (i.e. sweater) on the cover, or with the word “Wool” in the title Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey

Argentina
b. Cueva de las Manos, Río Pinturas
- Read a book set in Argentina
- Read a book set in prehistoric times, or about prehistoric times Mother Earth Father Sky by Sue Harrison
- Take Home Item – Hand Petroglyph Facsimile: - Read a book with someone’s hand on the cover.

message 5: by Delitealex (last edited Jun 21, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Australia:
a. Great Barrier Reef
- Read a book set in Australia
- Read a book set on/under the ocean
- Take Home Item – Coral: Read a book with the word “coral” in the title/subtitle, or author’s name.

b. Kakadu National Park
- Read a book set in the tropics
- Take Home Item – Alligator Tooth: Read a book with teeth on the cover

c. Lord Howe Island Group 1/3
- Read a book set on an island
- ✔Take Home Item – Bird: Read a book with the word “Bird” in the title, or a bird on the cover
You Make Me (Blurred Lines, #1) by Erin McCarthy

d. Tasmanian Wilderness 1/3
- Read a book set in Australia Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood
- Read a book where a penal colony or prison is significant
- ✔Take Home Item – Tasmanian Devil: Read a Paranormal Fantasy book (think devils, demons, etc) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison 1/21

e. Shark Bay, Western Australia
- Read a book with sharks in it
- Take Home Item – Shark Tooth: Read a book with the word “Shark” in the title/sub-title, or on the cover.

f. Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park
- Read a book with Aboriginal people in it
- Take Home Item – Red Stone: Read a book where the cover is predominantly red (70%)

g. Sydney Opera House
- Read a book set in a harbour city
- Take Home Item – Concert Program: Read a book where a musician is a significant character

h. Macquarie Island
- Read a book set in Antarctica
- Read a book about exploration
- Take Home Item – Penguin: Read a classic published by Penguin Classics (does not need to be the issue you read).

message 6: by Delitealex (last edited Apr 30, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Completed sites

3/3
a. Te Wahipounamu – South West New Zealand
- ✔Read a book set in New Zealand Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1) by Rosalind James 4/24
- ✔Read a book in the fantasy genre (sorry, can’t help but think of the Lord of the Rings movies) Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1) by Brian McClellan 1/9
- ✔Take Home Item – Chunk of Glacier Ice: Read a book where there is snow/ice on the cover, or “snow” or “ice” is in the title.
Coltrain's Proposal by Diana Palmer 2/11

message 7: by Delitealex (last edited May 11, 2016 09:33PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Mali: 1/3
a. Timbuktu
- Read a book set in Mali
- ✔Read a book set in a university The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1) by Sarina Bowen 1/22
- Take Home Item – a Book: Read a book about books.

Senegal: 1/3
a. Island of Gorée
- Read a book set in Senegal
- Read a book with slaves in it
- ✔Take Home Item – Link of Chain: Read a book that is linked to another because it’s in a series. (Thought you were done with that, didn’t you?) Let Down Your Hair (Urban Fairytales, #5) by Erik Schubach

Spain:
a. Santiago de Compostela (Old Town)
- ✔Read a book set in Spain Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret by Jennie Lucas 2/19
- Read a book about a pilgrimage
- Take Home Item – Scallop Shell: Read a book with shells on the cover.

d. Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System 1/3
- Read a book set in the Caribbean
- ✔Read a book where conservation is key.
Beneath the Waves by Ali Vali 5/10
- Take Home Item – Coral: Read a book with the word coral is in the title/subtitle, the author’s name, or a character’s name.

message 8: by Delitealex (last edited May 08, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Peru:
1/3
a. Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu
- Read a book set in Peru
- ✔Read a book set in a mountainous area. 1222 by Anne Holt 1/5
- Take Home Item – Ceremonial Knife: Read a book with a knife on the cover.

Papua New Guinea:
1/3
a. Kuk Early Agricultural Site
- Read a book set in Papua New Guinea
- ✔Read a book with death as a significant theme. Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3) by Annelise Ryan 1/18
- Take Home Item – Bird of Paradise Plume: Read a book set in what you perceive as paradise.

USA

a. Yellowstone National Park 1/3
- read a book set in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth
- read a book about a vacation in the mountains.
- ✔Take home item – Bear Tooth Pendant: Read a book that has wildlife (bear, deer, moose, elk, or wolf) on the cover.
Heart of the Pack by Jenny Frame 5/8

South Africa:
a. Vredefort Dome
- Read a book set in South Africa-
- Read a book in the post-apocalyptic genre- Breathe (Breathe, #1) by Sarah Crossan
- Take Home Item - Piece of Meteorite: Read a book set in space
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey

message 9: by Delitealex (last edited Apr 16, 2016 12:34AM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Germany: 1/3
a. Frontiers of the Roman Empire
- Read a book set in Germany
- Read a book about the Roman invasion of Europe
- ✔Take Home Item – Spear: Read a book in which spears were used as weapons. The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie 2/24

India 1/3
b. Mountain Railways of India
- Read a book set in India
- ✔Read a book either published between 1800-1899 or set in the time period Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1) by Delilah Marvelle 2/5
- Take Home Item – Train Model: Read a book set on a train, or with the word “train” in the title

United kingdom
a. Tower of London
- ✔Read a book set in England
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley 2/29
- Read a book involving the Tower of London
Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters #2) by A.W. Exley
- Take Home Item – Crown: Read a book with a crown on the cover or the word in the title.
1/3
b. Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast
- ✔Read a book set in North Ireland or Ireland Frozen by L.A. Casey
- Read a book with a giant in it.
- Take Home Item – Emerald: Read a book with a predominant green cover (70%)

message 10: by Delitealex (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:02PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments On the lookout for a book with gardening and one with orchid.

Possibilities
Blood Orchids (Lei Crime, #1) by Toby Neal
Like a Watered Garden by Patti Hill Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1) by Rosemary Harris

message 11: by Delitealex (last edited Dec 18, 2015 01:41PM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Australia possibilities

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood Earthly Delights (Corinna Chapman, #1) by Kerry Greenwood A Beautiful Struggle (Beautiful Series) (Volume 1) by Lilliana Anderson Drawn (Drawn, #1) by Lilliana Anderson Allergic To Time by Crystal Gables Outback Fever by Suzanne Brandyn

message 12: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Starting in New Zealand with Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1) by Brian McClellan for fantasy

message 13: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished 1222 by Anne Holt fit in Peru set in a mountainous area really ended up enjoying it eventhough at first the translation felt wrong. I'm definitely going to start at the beginning of the series to learn more about Hanne. I liked how she went about solving the case and how her mind worked.

message 14: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1) by Brian McClellan 1/9
Expected it to be bogged done in talk about the weapons but it wasn't. The magic and the people who used it were interesting . I'd like to learn more about Vlora though.

message 15: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Reading On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) by David Weber for Peru a book set in space.

message 16: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Loving being able to fit some more of the unplanned books that I'm reading in :) It's also fun seeing others lists for inspiration.

message 17: by Delitealex (last edited Jan 18, 2016 03:03AM) (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3) by Annelise Ryan for New Guinea Death theme It was funny and really had me guessing.

message 18: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) by David Weber for Peru set in space and enjoyed it I have book 2 also maybe I'll be able to fit it in somewhere.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments You're burning up the miles Delitealex! You'll be done the challenge in no time at this rate.

message 20: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Reading For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison for Australia Tasmanian devil.

message 21: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished For a few demons more enjoyed it can't wait to read the next book.

Next up reading The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1) by Sarina Bowen for Mali set in a university.

message 22: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished The Year we fell down it was a quick fun read.

Next up reading Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2) by Chris Cavender for Morocco book about food

message 23: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished and enjoyed Let Down Your Hair (Urban Fairytales, #5) by Erik Schubach It was a fun read and sweet romance. For Senegal chainlink book in a series. Another unplanned book that ended up fitting in for the challenge :)

message 24: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Visited Morocco book about food Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2) by Chris Cavender really enjoying this series loving the cozies I've read so far looking forward to finding more to read.

message 25: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Up next A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery,#1) by Edith Maxwell for agriculture

message 26: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Currently Reading The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie for Germany spear and Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1) by Delilah Marvelle for India set in the 1800s. Still jumping from place to place.

message 27: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished Mistress of pleasure for india 1800s

message 28: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished 'Til Dirt Do Us Part (Local Foods Mystery,#2) by Edith Maxwell for agriculture enjoying this series love Cam and lucinda I also hope to see more of Sim.

message 29: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Read Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret by Jennie Lucas for a challenge and it fits for set in Spain. The book was alright I mostly liked it for the descriptions of the castle and spain.

message 30: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie for Germany spear. It started off a little slow for me but I ended up enjoying it. So many interesting characters and wondering what was gonna happen next.

message 31: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I'm hoping to get to Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1) by Rosalind James to finish off my first site. It fits for another challenge also so tha works out well :)

message 32: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Read Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley fits for set in England liked it. It's both dark with what happened to Cara and who Nate is but is funny also at times.

I plan to read Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters #2) by A.W. Exley for book involving Tower of London.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments I might do that too, Delitealix. I had The Daughter of Time for The Tower of London, but may switch it out.

message 34: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Janice wrote: "I might do that too, Delitealix. I had The Daughter of Time for The Tower of London, but may switch it out."

I had been trying to figure out what I was going to read for the Tower of London task but hadn't really found anything I'm glad I came across this series :)

message 35: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Read Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1) by Rosalind James for set in New Zealand.

I finally finished one site yay.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments One down, three to go. :)

message 37: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Read Heart of the Pack by Jenny Frame for bear tooth pendant in Yellowstone loved it Review

message 38: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished Beneath the Waves by Ali Vali for Belize conservation enjoyed it.

message 39: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finished The Copper Egg by Catherine Friend for set in Peru really enjoyed the descriptions of Peru and all the action.

message 40: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I need either a book with bird in the title or author name or a knife on the cover to finish my next site.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments I'm going to read The Bird Eater for that task. Bird Box would also work. Both those titles are horror, if you like that genre.

message 42: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Thanks for the suggestions I'll probably go with Bird Box by Josh Malerman

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments If you do, there's a buddy read or group read that you may find interesting.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50008 comments Here's the link to the group read.