Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > I have added a book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Andrianatou | 3 comments Hello,
excuse me, but I appear to have gotten myself confused with the ability to add books. I was of the belief that every member can add books which are then checked by librarians. That it appears to have been wrong.

However, I have added a book, even though I do not thing I should be able to. It's a new book that had not been added and I waited for a while before doing it.
Now, as it is rather normal, I cannot edit the details of that book (I provide the link here, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...)

Unfortunately, I accidentally merged the authors name with the translation of its name (the author was Greek but his name it is also written in English; I believe there are two profiles for him, one in Greek and one in English).

Can a librarian correct this? (I provide the Greek page for the author https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... and the English one https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... to make my point understandable)

Additionally, can someone provide an answer to why I could add a book and whether I should be able to do that?

Thank you so much for your time, and please forgive any wrongdoing which was definitely not intentional.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3055 comments I corrected it, don't worry, it doesn't take much time.

About adding books you were right, any user can do that.

The librarian's checking is just if he/she comes across the book, I think, if there's an established official practice of librarians checking every book added, it's certainly news to me :)

message 3: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Andrianatou | 3 comments Oh, okay! Thank you very much for correcting the book and for the answer!

I must have misunderstood something I read I guess; no harm done!

Thank you again and have a nice day!

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments When an author has been translated, the "international" version of his name should be the primary author, in this case Yannis Maris.

The secondary name should be the name as it appears on the cover. (Why does it say Γιάννη Μαρή on some covers, is that a genitive?)

Some editions have the international version first, others the Greek version, which can cause problems in the database. Anybody interested in a project?

message 5: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Andrianatou | 3 comments Oh, I didn't know that! Yes indeed some of the books have different name first, I hadn't notice that...

You are right though, Γιάννη Μαρή is the genitive case of Γιάννης Μαρής and it is used on older editions which were sometimes unofficially subtitled "The best works of..." or "A book by..." I think.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Thanks for the info! :)

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments lethe wrote: "Some editions have the international version first, others the Greek version, which can cause problems in the database. Anybody interested in a project? "

Made Yannis Maris primary author on all editions.