You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > January 2016 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I guess we better get started thinking about what theme we want for the group reads in January. The first of 2016!

So if you have an idea for a theme for next month's group read, go ahead and nominate it.

Alternatively, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close 10th December.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9410 comments I'll nominate classics. (We did classics in Dec. 2014, so it would be far enough according to the rules).

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:03AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments January is National Braille Literacy Month so I would like to nominate books with a sight-related theme (blind character, sight-related words in title, eye/glasses on the cover, etc).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Inspired by Lisa and National Braille Month - books about the alphabet/writing systems.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15075 comments I second Lisa's sight-related theme. Lovely idea!

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Thesaurus Day is January 18, so I'd like to nominate books with unique or unusual words in the title.

message 7: by Elsbeth (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:25AM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments My nomination: books with a 1 word title - since it is the first month of the year ("bonus" if the word starts with an 'A' :D)...

message 8: by Kanak (new)

Kanak (kanakpatel) I support the sight related theme too! :)

message 9: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments I nominate books set in Canada. (For those of us participating in the Geocaching yearlong challenge, we need a book or two set in Canada.)

message 10: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Lanelle wrote: "I nominate books set in Canada. (For those of us participating in the Geocaching yearlong challenge, we need a book or two set in Canada.)"

That's an idea: every month a book with a theme we can use for the yearlong challenge. ;)

message 11: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 04, 2015 01:53PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Elsbeth wrote: "That's an idea: every month a book with a theme we can use for the yearlong challenge. ;)"

Exactly. I plan on nominating themes each month that we can use for the yearlong challenge.

message 12: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments I'll second the theme of books set in Canada.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Isn't that a bit boring though? I know it's nice to kill two birds with one stone but it takes the challenge out of the challenge. That's my opinion anyway.

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I second the suggestion of unique or unusual words in the title.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I second the sight related theme.

message 16: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Isn't that a bit boring though? I know it's nice to kill two birds with one stone but it takes the challenge out of the challenge. That's my opinion anyway."

Well, the real challenge is to get people to vote for it! ;)

message 17: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Sarah wrote: "Isn't that a bit boring though? I know it's nice to kill two birds with one stone but it takes the challenge out of the challenge. That's my opinion anyway."

Just trying to be helpful.

message 18: by CFDeeDee (new)

CFDeeDee I'll second the sight theme

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm not crazy about nominating a theme here specifically so it can be used in the year long challenge. That basically turns the group read into a supporting activity instead of it standing on it's own. Also, I think it's more fun to gopher and find a book that will fit both if that's what you want.

I second the sight theme.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13574 comments I'm going to second 1 word titles.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments Cherie wrote: "I second the suggestion of unique or unusual words in the title."

I'm going to second unique or unusual words in the title as well.

message 22: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm not crazy about nominating a theme here specifically so it can be used in the year long challenge. That basically turns the group read into a supporting activity instead of it standing on it's ..."

Okay.

message 23: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments January is National Bath Safety Month, and January 8th is Bubble Bath Day, so I nominate a theme that includes a cover that has water or bubbles on the cover. Or, something like that.

(I didn't think the books we read for the year long challenge could be a monthly group read, anyway?)

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I nominate a book with "January" or "First" in the title.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments Lynda wrote: "(I didn't think the books we read for the year long challenge could be a monthly group read, anyway?)"

You can read challenge books for group reads or topplers. You just can't read a year long challenge book for a monthly challenge book or vice versa.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I second water or bubbles on the cover.

message 27: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I'd like to nominate books with catastrophes of all kind ("El Niño" is going crazy in this part of the world)

message 28: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I also will second unique or unusual words in the title.

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie January 8th is my birthday, so I second bubbles as well :)

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Mariab wrote: "I'd like to nominate books with catastrophes of all kind ("El Niño" is going crazy in this part of the world)"

If I hadn't already seconded water/bubbles I'd have seconded this one.

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Mariab wrote: "I'd like to nominate books with catastrophes of all kind ("El Niño" is going crazy in this part of the world)"

As another El Niño sufferer, I agree/second.

message 32: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 453 comments I'd like to second one word titles

message 33: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I second one or unusual words in the title

message 34: by Coco (new)

Coco Harris (thebookkeepers) Hi everyone! Just joined this group but excited to join in the fun! I second the vote for sight related theme ❤️

message 35: by Coco (new)

Coco Harris (thebookkeepers) Hi everyone! Just joined this group but excited to join in the fun! I second the vote for sight related theme ❤️

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Welcome Amanda. Nominations have now closed though unfortunately but the poll is up so you can head over there and vote on the theme you'd like.

message 37: by Coco (new)

Coco Harris (thebookkeepers) I saw that right after I posted haha! Thanks

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.