Addicted to YA discussion

Any Questions? > Do you ever defend books or authors so much that you start to sound crazy?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments Maya, not at ALL! I often do it. tge most vivid time was when everyone was bashing Orson Scott Card and his books because he was very openly supporting laws about marriage that we all felt were antiquated. I was ok when they were bashing him, but when they got hostile about his books (which have nothing to do with his politics.) I could not help but get upset!

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments I used to do it, but it's hard to cope with the derision sometime. I've learned to pick my battles. We all have different tastes and opinions, and that's okay. That's usually what I say to people. :-)

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments Maya, I totally agree! Sometimes I feel that way, even when they are praising a book I really liked.

Funny story, One of my first reviews for my book The Hunters (A very violent vampire slayer novel) the reviewer compared them to the Scooby Doo gang, and got three of the main characters' names wrong. She gave a 5 star review, but when I was going through the review I was shaking my head bemusedly wondering if she read the book I wrote, or if I should write a book that matched her review.

It is easier to brush that off, than someone personally attacking an author because they didn't like their book. I cringe sometimes reading the reviews on some books where reviewers say things like "The author is an idiot because I didn't agree with their point of view" or "The author didn't think their story through very well, because I would have done XYZ". Unfortunately, some people have become much more open to the idea of stating their opinion as fact. You cannot argue with facts. It is hard to find an enlightened group of people who are willing to keep an open mind and listen and constructively discuss ideas.

message 4: by Lynne (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:40PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments Yes, I agree with you too, Maya. If I wanted to, I could pick holes in anyone's fandom, but I acknowledge that we're all different, so what right have I got to do that? I wish others felt the same way.

I often feel for Stephenie Meyer, who is now earning a level of vitriol over her books that no one deserves. I saw at one site, when some people saw that her production company was looking at developing Anna Dressed in Blood as a movie, they were saying, 'Who does she think she is that she can make a movie like that? Just because she's Stephenie Meyer, the crappiest author in the world, she thinks she's got a right to do this?' And they were going on with ridiculous things like that, as if she was just doing it as a personal affront to anyone with taste. How ridiculously petty.

message 5: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 145 comments I've honestly never had this, for lack of better word, "issue". I'll do it with some bands/musicians, but that's just because I grew up studying/playing music and will defend someone who is objectively good whether I like them or not. A good singer is a good singer is a good singer, so on into infinity, whether we like them or not because key, pitch, notes, these things are facts. Same with pro athletes. You can't say a basketball player sucks if his stats say he's an all star. Or, you can, but you'd be wrong.

Stories are different, in my opinion. Special. They're not facts. Honestly, I don't even know how to objectively point out what makes a good or bad story/writer. It's purely subjective. So, a great story is one that you enjoy and/or are touched by, a bad story is one that doesn't do it for you. And one book will be both for two different readers. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, that's kind of what makes stories great.

message 6: by Lynne (last edited Dec 04, 2015 12:54AM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments There are things in writing that can demonstrate whether you're a good or bad writer. Just as in singing, music or acting, there's a technique that works. However, all the technical brilliance in the world doesn't make the soul of the book.

message 7: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 145 comments I guess I just "judge" writing differently, and note, I am not saying my way is "right". Just my opinion and how it relates to the OP question. For me, writing that touches me is for me, writing that doesn't, is not. I try to stray from objectives like good or bad.

A brilliantly written piece that doesn't touch me, I'll likely not finish the book. Something that may get a C- if graded on technical stuff that grabs me can easily get a 4 or 5 stars. Since I view stories as strictly subjective, it doesn't bother me when something I love doesn't work for another.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments Tommy, I like that philosophy, and feel the same way about writing and music! I was musically trained as well as being an author. It is hard to take that training away and just look at how it makes you feel, and vice versa.

I hate giving ratings for that very reason! But I typically have two sections to my review: The why I liked/ didn't like and the technical analysis.

message 9: by cmtan (new)

cmtan cmtan | 31 comments Yes, all the time. Whenever I read a book, and love it so much, I get defensive when someone is reading it and talking about how much they love it, or hate it, whatever opinion really. I'm not sure why I get like this, but I wish I didn't, because then I do sound crazy defensive. I think it's because when they talk about it, they don't care if I've read it or not, and they start talking to someone else about it. Not sure, that might not be why but it was just an explanation :/