Melbourne Library Service discussion

Southbank Reading Circle - November

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melbourne Library Service | 139 comments The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1) by Terry Pratchett
The Long Earth
The Long Earth, the Long War, The Long Mars, (series) by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett
A whole lot of fun! There is enough basis in science to make these books ‘what-if?’ fiction, where humans have to relearn how to live pioneer existences.

Suspect by Robert Crais
Suspect
Suspect by Robert Crais
When I start reading one author, I have to read all of their books. It becomes a pleasure to read and I anticipate how happy I will be when I’m reading. I enjoy puzzles and this book was thought provoking.

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson
The Hero of Ages
The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
I’m reading the final one in the trilogy now. It’s a fantastic story. Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, what the hell happened?! For someone not familiar with the fantasy genre, I am loving it.

The Promise Seed by Cass Moriarty
The Promise Seed
The Promise Seed by Cass Moriarty
Even though the characters don’t have names, just ‘boy’ and ‘old man’, it was easy to keep track of. It was exactly what I wanted to read. Even though I could have put it down and picked it up later I was drawn to it often. I would read more books by this author.

On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
On Writing by Stephen King
I have never read Stephen King’s books as I don’t tend to read horror but given some of his comments and reflections on a few of his books, I will be taking a look – I have a reserve out on Carrie, Insomnia and Rose Madder.

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
A Spool of Blue Thread
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
It is not told chronologically, which I liked as you meet members of the family when their story connects in. I found the title intriguing, and it wasn’t until near the end that you discover why it is called ‘A Spool of Blue Thread’. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Station Eleven
Station Eleven by Emily St.John Mandel
Sci-fi for people like me who don’t think they like sci-fi. Let’s call it literary sci-fi. Beautifully written passages that I often stopped and reread. I could see the threads being tied together as the ending got nearer but I didn’t mind following them.

Have you read any of these titles? Did you feel the same way about them? Any of the books on your to-read pile?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I haven't read A Spool of Blue Thread, but I was amused by the divided opinions of it on ABC Bookclub last week. On the whole I think it might be a book that I would enjoy.