Emily March Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Holidays > Do you enjoy holiday romance books? What are some of your favorites?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Tell us about some of your favorite Christmas Romance books...and why you love them!

message 2: by Kay (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments I can't really think of a favorite but since I have had an ereader I have
read many wonderful Christmas stories. I especially love the promise of love and future happiness during the season of love and promise.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay wrote: "I can't really think of a favorite but since I have had an ereader I have
read many wonderful Christmas stories. I especially love the promise of love and future happiness during the season of lov..."

I've just realized that I've only ever read one Christmas Romance and it was yesterday. I've got Mistletoe Mine, though, and am really excited to read it while Ray and I are traveling over to the coast. I need a feel good story -- the last book I read -- yesterday -- was a bit dark. The story was very, very different to what I expected. I liked it -- but it didn't do for me what I hoped it would because the ending was weird.

:-/

message 4: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments I loved Robyn Carr's Virgin River Christmas novels, as well as Debbie Macomber's Shirley, Goodness and Mercy stories, I also loved Sherryl Woods O'Briens Christmas novels. There are others but these are some of my absolute favorites from my keeper shelves.
Hugs,
Jina

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "Kay wrote: "I can't really think of a favorite but since I have had an ereader I have
read many wonderful Christmas stories. I especially love the promise of love and future happiness during the s..."

I agree with Jina, I enjoy all the authors she listed & I'm about to start reading Debbie Macomber's new Christmas read 'Dashing through the Snow'.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

These are great recommendations! I haven't made it to a holiday read yet -- I planned to start this weekend but I have a new Maya Banks novel in ARC format to read for review. It's very, very good - but the subject matter is certainly not for everyone....as soon as I finish it I'm going to need something heartwarming...and I will start the holiday reads!

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola  | 1001 comments Once again Jina and I are soul Sisters, and Lesley I just started listening to Dashing through the snow. The Movie of this book will be on this Sunday on the Hallmark Channel. Hugs Lola

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Lola wrote: "Once again Jina and I are soul Sisters, and Lesley I just started listening to Dashing through the snow. The Movie of this book will be on this Sunday on the Hallmark Channel. Hugs Lola"
Hope you enjoy the film, we don't get the Hallmark Channel in the UK, I will just have to be happy with reading the book.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never seen that movie, either - and haven't read the book. I am deficient in reading and watching holiday romances...I have time before Christmas -- if I get through the rest of this week, that is.

message 10: by Lola (new)

Lola  | 1001 comments Paula , It is a new movie ,premiering Sunday .

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Jina you are right in that Robyn Carr has great Christmas stories. I just finished the Virgin River series today. Great stories and although significantly different than Emily's Eternity Springs, the same small town closeness and repeat characters. Loved it. So many great Christmas stories out there. Jill Shalvis and Jill Sanders both have good stories in addition to the ones you have already listed.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay wrote: "Jina you are right in that Robyn Carr has great Christmas stories. I just finished the Virgin River series today. Great stories and although significantly different than Emily's Eternity Springs, t..."

Jill Shalvis is quite good - she had a new release within the past few months but I can't remember it! I'll have to check on....let me see now...Goodreads!!! LOL

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Joplin (lindajoplin) | 2 comments I've read dozens and dozens of Christmas books, so many that I can't remember all of them! I'm reading Falling Like Snowflakes by Denise Hunter right now. It's the first book of hers I've read. I have a feeling I'll be reading more!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Linda wrote: "I've read dozens and dozens of Christmas books, so many that I can't remember all of them! I'm reading Falling Like Snowflakes by Denise Hunter right now. It's the first book of hers I've read. I h..."

That's a good recommendation -- I'll write that one down!!

message 15: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments I like Christmas or New Year Themed books

message 16: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Another great holiday read is Fern Michaels Family Blessings and also Sheila Roberts On Strike for Christmas. The last one is a real hoot and something I have contemplated when I have done all the work and worrying and endless cleaning to get nothing but complaints or people wanting me to do more work and more cleaning . My girls liked different holiday books like the I spy Christmas books, the adult coloring with Christmas themes, andthe books that involve all things winter, sledding, hot chocolate, hay rides etc... Little house on the Prairie has an old fashioned Christmas parts in it and even though it's a tragic story , they loved the book "The Children's Blizzard". Partly because it's a true story that took place over a hundred years ago near where we grew up. We drove by a plaque by the side of the road many times marking the area where many children when lost in a sudden blizzard burrowed into hay bales to stay warm. Without giving away critical information which would spoil anyone who wanted to read this tale. There are many children heros, and teacher heros and amazing survival thinking by young and old alike through the hours of this major storm. It is a must read and speaking for myself, even though I grew up knowing the legend of this tale... to read about it in depth and be able to put names to the legend it really hit home and has been a story that has stayed in my heart. I hope you'll read it. You wont regret it.
Jina

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Jina, you always have some great ideas and so much information to share! Thanks so much. That book sounds wonderful. As you might know, the true winter story that is legend in California concerns a different kind of survival - and it's a dark legend, indeed - the Donner Party. Whenever we go over Donner Pass on the way to go skiing, I can't help but think of that story...and it is simply haunting.

So one thing I require in my holiday reads? A happy ending!! ;-)

message 18: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Paula wrote: "Jina, you always have some great ideas and so much information to share! Thanks so much. That book sounds wonderful. As you might know, the true winter story that is legend in California concerns a..."

Dear Paula,
I hope your rash is much better.
Speaking of happy endings. I cannot read anything that has violence against children. It turns my stomach and causes terrible nightmares. It could be because my first husband Don was abusive towards me and threatened to be abusive to the kids. I escaped him when my kids were 8, 2 and I was 7 months pregnant with my Sarah. So to this day I cant watch domestic violence tv shows or read about them. To close to home I guess. I am so fortunate that my Michael doesnt even believe in hollering. There is a "no yelling" rule in our house. I enjoy many genres of books though some with excellent fight scenes but the good guys always win. :)
Jina

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you, Jina - any kind of violence is difficult for me, but domestic abuse and sexual violence (non-consensual, forced, abusive), and graphically violent scenes are on my DO NOT READ list. And yes, the good guys must always win.

That goes for my movies too!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.