The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.14 - Jenn Renee's task: Winter Wonderland

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 11, 2015 11:47AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
25.14 - JennRenee's task: Winter Wonderland
Winter is my favorite season of the year. I love the smells, the coolness, the holidays, the sweaters, the boots. I always feel cozy in my house spending time with my family and, of course, the holidays.

You may read one book or two books but the total pages read must be a minimum of 800 pages. If you are using more than one book, you may use the same requirements for both books or you may choose different ones.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

1. Winter just smells good. Apple pie, fires in the fireplace, and the cool crisp smell of the outdoors. For this option, read a book that has one of these things pictured on the cover: apple, pie, fireplace or campfire, or an outside winter scene. To be considered a winter scene, one of the following things should be shown: snow, ice, or bare trees. Ex:
Delightful (Big Sky Pie, #3) by Adrianne Lee An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1) by Annette Blair Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara A Matter of Days by Amber Kizer Creed by Trisha Leaver

2. I feel cozy, snuggled inside with my blanket and hot cocoa. Read a book with "Cozy Mystery" as a main genre. This genre may stand alone or be embedded.

3. I love the look and feel of sweaters, jeans, and boots. My favorite winter dress. Read a book where the author's initials can be found in any of these three words: SWEATER, JEANS, BOOTS. Initials may be found in more than one of the words, but letters can only be used as many times as they appear. Middle initials may be ignored. If more than one author, only one author's initials must fit.

4. The cold winter chill just feels good after a hot Texas summer and fall. Read a book with the word WINTER, CHILL, or COLD in the title/subtitle. Plurals and possessives will work, but no other variations.

5. Holiday cheer keeps me young at heart. Read a book off of the Winter Break for YA list.
Required: Identify which page of the list your book can be found on when you post.

6. Holiday fun. Since my favorite holidays happen in the winter -- 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 01/01,
read a book with a page count, as listed on Goodreads, that contains at least 2 of the following numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Numbers may appear more than once. Ex: 245, 373, 500, 525, 944

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or listen to an audiobook, use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

Books with the genre Sequential Art (Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga) are allowed for this task as long as they fit all other SRC requirements.

message 2: by JennRenee (last edited Dec 04, 2015 04:08AM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sure thing...

for option 1:
Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #3) by Theresa Romain City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin The Haunting of Hill House  by Shirley Jackson God Rest Ye Merry, Soldiers A True Civil War Christmas Story by James McIvor Family Inheritance by Terri Ann Leidich A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy Wish Upon A Star by Trisha Ashley

message 3: by JennRenee (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:01PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments no not really...

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Checking this one for #1:
God Rest Ye Merry, Soldiers A True Civil War Christmas Story by James McIvor

message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Daphne wrote: "Checking this one for #1:
God Rest Ye Merry, Soldiers A True Civil War Christmas Story by James McIvor"

yes it will . its a msall scene but it is a winter scene

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 31 comments Does this count as a winter scene? I see snow flakes albeit faintly.

Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #3) by Theresa Romain

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) Would this count? It has bare trees:

The Haunting of Hill House  by Shirley Jackson

message 9: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Julia wrote: "Does this count as a winter scene? I see snow flakes albeit faintly.

Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #3) by Theresa Romain"

Yes I will take it

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Lulu wrote: "Would this count? It has bare trees:

The Haunting of Hill House  by Shirley Jackson"

Looks like winter to me

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Just to double check:

City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg would work as a one-book option using #6 because the page count is 944 (4 used twice).

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 884 comments For option 1: City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Is this okay for #6- or does the number have to have a double?

215 pgs.
Sky on Fire

message 14: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Melissa wrote: "Just to double check:

City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg would work as a one-book option using #6 because the page count is 944 (4 used twice)."

yes it works

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Cindy wrote: "For option 1: City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin"

yup i see snow

message 16: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Is this okay for #6- or does the number have to have a double?

215 pgs.
Sky on Fire"

the numbers do not need to appear twice so 215 works

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7694 comments i think i've got mine...

opt 6 - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me - paperback in 560pgs

opt 1 - Family Inheritance by Terri Ann Leidich

total 852pgs

message 18: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dee wrote: "i think i've got mine...

opt 6 - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me - paperback in 560pgs

opt 1 - Family Inheritance by Terri Ann Leidich

total 852pgs"

looks good. both work.

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would this work for option 1 A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy , bare trees

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments JennRenee wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Is this okay for #6- or does the number have to have a double?

215 pgs.
Sky on Fire"

the numbers do not need to appear twice so 215 works"

Thank you!

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Does this work for #1- Snowy Scene--- bare tree???

Wish Upon A Star by Trisha Ashley

Thanks

message 22: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does this work for #1- Snowy Scene--- bare tree???

Thanks"
yes it sdoes

message 23: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would this work for option 1 A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy, bare trees"

yes it does.

message 24: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments JennRenee wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Does this work for #1- Snowy Scene--- bare tree???

Thanks" yes it sdoes"

Thank you!

message 25: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2403 comments just to check I understand, if using one book, that book only has to meet one of the #1-6 options, not too? Obviously it has to meet the page count as well.

message 26: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Finding books that added up to 800 pages was hard. my first attempts were only 300 and 200 page somethings

message 27: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Catherine wrote: "just to check I understand, if using one book, that book only has to meet one of the #1-6 options, not too? Obviously it has to meet the page count as well."

Any book you choose only has to meet one requirement. so you can read two books and have them meet only one requirement and even use the same requirement on each. as long as they meet one and equal at least 800 pages.

message 28: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Finding books that added up to 800 pages was hard. my first attempts were only 300 and 200 page somethings"

what kind of books do you like to read maybe we can help you find some.

message 29: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Well I originally went with option 2 and cozy mysteries and I wanted to read Double Shot (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #12) by Diane Mott Davidson . I looked at the Winter Break for YA list and most of those books were under 300 pages.

message 30: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well I originally went with option 2 and cozy mysteries and I wanted to read Double Shot (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #12) by Diane Mott Davidson. I looked at the Winter Break for YA list and most of those books were under 300 pages."

are you looking for a YA to read or a holiday read. I have some ya of 500 on my shelves.

message 31: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Hmm. Checking on this book for 1 book option using #6:

The Wise Man's Fear - MMP has 1,107 pages (1 and 0)

message 32: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Daphne wrote: "Hmm. Checking on this book for 1 book option using #6:

The Wise Man's Fear - MMP has 1,107 pages (1 and 0)"

that works

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments JennRenee wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well I originally went with option 2 and cozy mysteries and I wanted to read Double Shot (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #12) by Diane Mott Davidson. I looked at the Winter Break for YA list and most of tho..."

Either or is fine. I thought we had to use the list Winter Break for YA

message 34: by JennRenee (last edited Dec 05, 2015 10:18AM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well I originally went with option 2 and cozy mysteries and I wanted to read Double Shot (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #12) by Diane Mott Davidson. I looked at the Winter Break for YA li..."

any ya would work. I hope this helps

I am acutally using Winter its the lsat book in the series so it may not help you but it matches the requirements with one book

message 35: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments ok, I thought we had to stick to that list.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "ok, I thought we had to stick to that list."

I'm really confused by this conversation - if she's using Option 5, doesn't she have to pick a book specifically from the "Winter Break for YA" list?

JennRenee saying in message 34 that "any ya would work" makes this confusing.

message 37: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments yeah and I looked at that list and those books are under 300pp, that's why I chose different books if you need to meet the 800pp requirement.

message 38: by Emily (last edited Dec 05, 2015 12:28PM) (new)

Emily | 684 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "yeah and I looked at that list and those books are under 300pp, that's why I chose different books if you need to meet the 800pp requirement."

You could still use one book that's under 300 pages - you'd just need to find one big book to make up the difference. :/

Your best bet is probably to find an author that fits Option 3. What type of books do you like? Maybe we can find you an author with a book that works. You only need 490 pages if you plan on using the Cozy Mystery book you mentioned.

Edit: Jayme - if you're stuck on a second book, sort your TBR by number of pages. I saw a few books on your TBR over 490 pages that fit the author's initial option. :)

message 39: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I think I will stick with my second selections.

message 40: by JennRenee (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:45PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "ok, I thought we had to stick to that list."

I'm really confused by this conversation - if she's using Option 5, doesn't she have to pick a book specifically from t..."

Any book ya or adult can be used if it matches any of the 1-4 or 6 option.
If she's using option 5 it does have to be off the list.
I was speaking of using a ya book for that task using a different option on the list not option number 5. Sorry for the confusion.

message 41: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Can I get the Option 2 "Cozy Mystery" genre locked in for this book? It's currently on the main page, but may drop off:

Dying In the Wool

Thx!

message 42: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Ann A wrote: "Can I get the Option 2 "Cozy Mystery" genre locked in for this book? It's currently on the main page, but may drop off:

Dying In the Wool

Thx!"
Sure thing. It's approved

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3766 comments Okay ... I'm confused by option # 6. The task states Numbers may appear more than once, but there must be at least 2 of these specific numbers in the page numbers. Ex: 373, 500, 525

But in message 14 you allow a book with 944 pages ... there is no "9" in the list of possible numbers, so this page number - 944 - has only ONE of the specific numbers, not two.

Can you clarify?

message 44: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Okay ... I'm confused by option # 6. The task states Numbers may appear more than once, but there must be at least 2 of these specific numbers in the page numbers. Ex: 373, 500, 525

But in message..."

I will have it updated. My fault. i was confused too. I will add that doubles be allowed as the two numbers.

message 45: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments JennRenee-
My genres have been disappearing, will you please confirm cozy mystery for Sense of Deception? Thanks!

message 46: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Will What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan work for option 1?

message 47: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jonquil wrote: "JennRenee-
My genres have been disappearing, will you please confirm cozy mystery for Sense of Deception? Thanks!"

approved for cozy mystery

message 48: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Amanda A wrote: "Will What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan work for option 1?"

yes it sure does.

message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 981 comments If anyone is looking for a book that fits the one books option then Winter by Marissa Meyer fits either option 4 or 6 at 824 pages.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Pamela wrote: "If anyone is looking for a book that fits the one books option then Winter by Marissa Meyer fits either option 4 or 6 at 824 pages."

Is this approved? This is what I'd like to do.

« previous 1