The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.10 - Sandy's task: Bella Italia!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 03, 2015 05:57PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10789 comments Mod
25.10 - Sandy's Task - Bella Italia!

During the fall, I had the wonderful opportunity to spend almost a month in Italy, so Italy is the theme of this task.

Choose two different options from the following choices, and read one book for each.
**No books with the main page genre children or kids may be used.**

**The pages in your two books combined must total at least 500.**

REQUIRED: Specify in your post which options you used.

Option 1 - Florence. We spent most of the month in Florence, and it's "all Renaissance, all the time" there!

For this option, read a book set in Europe during the Renaissance. For purposes of this task, we will use the years 1350 to 1550. Even if the exact years are not clear from the GR description, a reference in the description to "Renaissance" will work.

Option 2 - Rome. During the days we spent in Rome, we heard many, many buskers playing music in the public gathering spaces. Almost all of them were playing older American pop or rock songs, and virtually every performer we heard played Hotel California!

For this option, read a book the title (title only, no subtitles) of which contains a word of at least 5 letters that is found in the lyrics of Hotel California. Hotel California lyrics. The lyrics to the song can also be found in post 15 of the task's help thread.

Words must match EXACTLY - no variations, including plural, singular, or possessive forms.

REQUIRED: Include in your post the word used and where it appears in the song lyrics.

Option 3 - Venice. Odd as it may sound, one of my favorite things in Venice was riding the vaporetti (water buses) - what a novelty to be riding buses that were actually boats! Not to mention being on a public bus that had a sign explaining the horn signals for things like "abandon ship" and "man overboard"!

For this option, read a book whose author's initials are found in the word "VAPORETTI." All of the author's initials must be used, including a middle initial or middle name if the Goodreads name includes one, and only the letter "t" can be used more than once. If a book has more than one author, the initials of any of the authors may be used.

Option 4 - Pisa. We were surprised, walking up the main street to the Leaning Tower, that the tower didn't really seem to lean at all! Once we walked around and looked at it from the side, however, the tilt was quite obvious.

For this option, read a book with a cover picture of one of the famous Italian monuments from this list.

Notable Monuments of Italy

REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post, and identify the monument.

Option 5 - Siena. One of the most fascinating things about Siena is that it is divided into 17 contrades (neighborhoods), each with its own colors, mascot, motto etc., and each with its own neighborhood church and museum. Twice each year, the Palio race takes place in which the contrades compete against each other. To read about them, see Contrades of the Palio of Siena

For this option, read a book with 17 letters in the book title or in the author's name or in the two combined. Subtitles may be used or ignored. Only books with single authors may be used if you are using the author name as part of the 17 letters.

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Dec 28, 2015 09:50PM) (new)

Sandy | 15614 comments Mod
ok for option 1:
Heartstone
The Heptameron
The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall

ok for option 5 (only letters count, not punctuation):
Gift-Wrapped Family

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10789 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 627 comments Will this work for option 1?

Heartstone

Thank you.

message 6: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Great challenge Sandy! I also got to spend the whole month of September in Italy and Malta. This brought back some memories. Looking forward to finding books for this challenge. :)

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Kim wrote: "Will this work for option 1?

Heartstone

Thank you."

Sure - England, 1545.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Daphne wrote: "Great challenge Sandy! I also got to spend the whole month of September in Italy and Malta. This brought back some memories. Looking forward to finding books for this challenge. :)"

Thanks! It was a wonderful month!

message 9: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments The link in Option 2 goes to a list of the song titles on the Hotel California album. Is the lyrics of that particular song, or the titles on the album that we are after?

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Lagullande wrote: "The link in Option 2 goes to a list of the song titles on the Hotel California album. Is the lyrics of that particular song, or the titles on the album that we are after?"

when I click on it, it goes to the lyrics, and that's what you need. Not sure why it would go somewhere else for you.

message 11: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments It goes to Google Play list of songs for me. I'm in the UK - wonder if that makes a difference. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I can find the lyrics somewhere else.

message 12: by Trish (last edited Dec 03, 2015 04:25AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments "Lagullande wrote: "The link in Option 2 goes to a list of the song titles on the Hotel California album. Is the lyrics of that particular song, or the titles on the album that we are after?"

I get the same. It says lyrics not available. Maybe its a UK/US thing. However, I did find them here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles...

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments For option 2, are subtitles of books allowed? If so, I'm thinking of All the Wild Horses: Preserving the Spirit and Beauty of the World's Wild Horses "Spirit" would be the word from the lyrics.

message 14: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments I'm hoping to read--

1. England, Arise: The People, the King and the Great Revolt of 1381 (England, 1381)

2. And Then There Were None (THERE). I'm just checking because I couldn't load the link that you provided--I did find the lyrics elsewhere but I wanted to check that THERE is definitely in the version that you've linked?

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Lyrics for Hotel California:

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Cindy wrote: "For option 2, are subtitles of books allowed? If so, I'm thinking of All the Wild Horses: Preserving the Spirit and Beauty of the World's Wild Horses "Spirit" would be the word from t..."

no. Only titles.

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Sandy wrote: "Cindy wrote: "For option 2, are subtitles of books allowed? If so, I'm thinking of All the Wild Horses: Preserving the Spirit and Beauty of the World's Wild Horses "Spirit" would be t..."

Ok. Just checking. Thanks! :-)

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments For option 5, is that exactly 17 letters in the combination we opt for?

As in, title of 17 letters, author name of 17 letters, if use both title/author name, exactly 17 letters?

Would an Author last name of 17 letters be okay?

Hopefully that makes sense, I can look for examples if I need to be clearer

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Jamie wrote: "For option 5, is that exactly 17 letters in the combination we opt for?

As in, title of 17 letters, author name of 17 letters, if use both title/author name, exactly 17 letters?

Would an Author l..."

Exactly 17 letters, and no, the author surname alone doesn't work - the author's name has to be exactly 17 letters total.

message 20: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:25AM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments I'm having reading comprehension problems today and I'll blame it on my headache.

If the book has two authors of which 1 is 17 letters long, will that work?

I'm thinking of using Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Anna Waterhouse is listed as a co-author. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is 17 letters.

Thanks!

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Rebecca NJ wrote: "I'm having reading comprehension problems today and I'll blame it on my headache.

If the book has two authors of which 1 is 17 letters long, will that work?

I'm thinking of using [book:Mycroft Ho..."

sorry, no. If you are using author name, the book must be by a single author.

message 22: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments Sandy wrote: "...sorry, no. If you are using author name, the book must be by a single author..."

Thanks Sandy!

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Sandy wrote: "Jamie wrote: "For option 5, is that exactly 17 letters in the combination we opt for?

Wou..."

Thanks, I figured, just wanted to be clear before I start searching!

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments On option 5 can I get approval for Gift-Wrapped Family. I'm hoping the hyphen doesn't count.

Thanks!

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Pamela wrote: "On option 5 can I get approval for Gift-Wrapped Family. I'm hoping the hyphen doesn't count.

Thanks!"

That works - only letters matter, not punctuation - hyphens, apostrophes, colons if one is using the subtitle............

message 26: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments just wanted to tell you how much i love your task. i spent a month in italy this summer and hit all the spots you mention in your task. i miss it so, and cannot wait to go back again. :)

message 27: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "just wanted to tell you how much i love your task. i spent a month in italy this summer and hit all the spots you mention in your task. i miss it so, and cannot wait to go back again. :)"

I hope working on the task will bring back many happy memories! Every time I look at the thread, I think about the fun we had in all these places!

message 28: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2023 comments Would The Heptameron work for option 1?

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Coralie wrote: "Would The Heptameron work for option 1?"

yes - "early 1500s" works.

message 30: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments For option 2, would The Boleyn Inheritance work? Thanks!

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "For option 2, would The Boleyn Inheritance work? Thanks!"

Option 2? Do you mean option 1? What are the dates? If it's set between 1350 and 1550, then it fits the requirements of the task.

message 32: by Trish (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments For option 3, do the words in the lyrics and the book title need to have the same meaning? Or just the same spelling?

I'm contemplating SPIRIT of Steamboat against "So I called up the Captain, 'Please bring me my wine'; He said, 'We haven't had that SPIRIT here since nineteen sixty nine', but one refers to a ghost and the other is obviously liquor.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "For option 3, do the words in the lyrics and the book title need to have the same meaning? Or just the same spelling?
..."

no, just matching words. Too much work for moderating to have to get into definitions and parts of speech and such.

message 34: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Sandy wrote: "no, just matching words. Too much work for moderating to have to get into definitions and parts of speech and such."

Great. Thank you.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine | 703 comments I'd like to verify a book for Option 2. Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time work, with the word "night" matched with "Wake you up in the middle of the night"? I'm just wondering if the fact that it is part of a hyphenated word in the book title would disqualify it. Thanks!

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Christine wrote: "I'd like to verify a book for Option 2. Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time work, with the word "night" matched with "Wake you up in the middle of the night"? I'm ju..."

sorry, no. The words must be an exact match, so the hyphenated word night-time in the book's title does not match the isolated word night.

message 37: by Nick (last edited Dec 30, 2015 10:58AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2386 comments Hi Sandy, and Happy Holidays.

I am asking for a clear acceptance.

For Option 1 -- Florence, I read The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert, which takes place during the Renaissance, mostly within the required dates. As with most historical rises and falls to power, exact dates are difficult to summarize. But, in accordance with the task description, the Medicis are a “Renaissance” dynasty, as the 300 years in which they dominated Florence was roughly 1400-1700. Your Renaissance dates of 1350 – 1550 are the period in which most of the Medici action takes place. Yet the word "Renaissance" does not appear in the task description.

Could you OK it? Or do I need to get more "proof" that most of the book lays within the dates you have given?

Thanks

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Nick wrote: "Hi Sandy, and Happy Holidays.

I do not think you are the moderator who makes an instant judgement on this, so I am asking for a clear acceptance.

For Option 1 -- Florence, I read [book:The House ..."

Actually, Nick, I have read the book as well, and it does take place primarily in the Renaissance (and in Florence, too!) The book works - I'll note in as fitting the task, and you can include a note in your post that it has been approved in this thread.

message 39: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2386 comments Thanks Sandy!

message 40: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments For Option 3 would an author like Ilona Andrews work?

I figured it was worth an ask. Thanks!

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Morgan wrote: "For Option 3 would an author like Ilona Andrews work?

I figured it was worth an ask. Thanks!"

sure - I and A are both found in vaporetti. Since we use the author name that appears on GR, it doesn't matter that this is a pen name for two people.

message 42: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Sandy wrote: "Morgan wrote: "For Option 3 would an author like Ilona Andrews work?

I figured it was worth an ask. Thanks!"

sure - I and A are both found in vaporetti. Since we use the author na..."

Awesome :) I wasn't sure if pen name would knock it out.

Thanks! (Filling tasks after you read things is an interesting experience. haha.)

message 43: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 838 comments For Option 1: Mary, Bloody Mary
Meets the children's as is UG

It is about Mary Tudor who lived 1516 to 1558 and was Queen of England from 1953 to the time of her death.

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "For Option 1: Mary, Bloody Mary
Meets the children's as is UG

It is about Mary Tudor who lived 1516 to 1558 and was Queen of England from 1953 to the time of her death."

sorry, the task specifically states that books with a main page genre of childrens cannot be used. It doesn't matter what the AR Bookfinder data shows.

message 45: by Paige (new)

Paige (paigeawesome) | 39 comments Bossypants works for option 5, correct?

message 46: by Sandy (last edited Jan 06, 2016 05:00AM) (new)

Paige wrote: "Bossypants works for option 5, correct?"

yes (assuming that I've had enough coffee to count to 17 this morning!)

When you post, don't forget to include the author's name, since you're using it to fulfill the requirements.

message 47: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Can The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors work for option 1? It doesn't say Renaissance in the description, but the book takes place during the Wars of the Roses, which is the 15th century, within the year guidelines.

Thanks for your help.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sirena wrote: "Can The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors work for option 1? It doesn't say Renaissance in the description, but the book takes place during ..."

When you post, link to some authority for the dates of the book.

message 49: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Sandy wrote: "Sirena wrote: "Can The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors work for option 1? It doesn't say Renaissance in the description, but the book take..."

Thanks!

message 50: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Option 1: The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir - reign of Henry VIII of England (1509-1547)

Option 2: The Desert Bride by Lynne Graham (word: desert)

« previous 1