The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.8 - Nick KY's task: My Favorite Impressionism

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:48PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
25.8 Nick KY’s task: My Favorite Impressionism

My Favorite Impressionism is the music, and my favorite music is Impressionism: Debussy, Ravel, Erik Satie, Charles Griffes – my fav’s. So choose two books which fit two of the following options based on these Impressionistic composers.

REQUIRED: State which options you chose when you post.

Option A. Debussy. Many of Debussy’s compositions revolve around water, from the large orchestral piece La Mer to his most famous piano prelude “The Sunken Cathedral.” Read a book with one of these words in the title/subtitle: “Sea” “Water” or “Sunken.” The word may be embedded in another as long as it retains the original meaning: “Seaview” or “Waterlogged” would work, but not “Seal” or “Search.”

Option B. Ravel. Ravel brought a Spanish influence into much of his music, especially some of his more popular such as Bolero, Tzigane, or Rhapsodie Espagnol. Read a book originally written in Spanish. You may read it in the original Spanish or you can read a translation.

Option C. Satie. Some of Satie’s most popular pieces are his short piano pieces, Gymnopedies, which are inspired by impressionistic paintings of gymnasts. Read a book with either the GR genre “Music” or the GR genre “Sports” on the main page.

Option D. Griffes. The American Charles Griffes wrote orchestral and piano pieces with the thick sonorities and exotic modal qualities which hallmark Imressionistic music, pieces such as The Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan. To celebrate him and the other composers here, read a book by a single author whose first or last name begins with “Deb-” “Rav-” “Sat-” or “Gri-.”

Optional: Listen to some Impressionistic music before, during, or after your read. Here are some examples:

Charles Griffes
Maurice Ravel

message 2: by Nick (last edited Feb 03, 2016 05:02PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Approved

for A: The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve

for C: The Soloist by Mark Salzman This Old Man All in Pieces by Roger Angell Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl A Memoir by Carrie Brownstein I’m Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg How to Play the Game & Win by Elaine Sandberg

message 3: by Nick (last edited Dec 14, 2015 06:44AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Not approved

for A: The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments can the genre be embedded for option C?

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3924 comments Got my two books:

Option A - The Weight of Water

Option C - The Soloist

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Donna wrote: "can the genre be embedded for option C?"

Yes.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Bea wrote: "Got my two books:

Option A - The Weight of Water

Option C - The Soloist"

Looks good.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 947 comments I love this task. Now I just want to go home and play Clair-de-Lune and Ravel's Pavane for hours.

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Melissa wrote: "I love this task. Now I just want to go home and play Clair-de-Lune and Ravel's Pavane for hours."

Me too.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 87 comments Fo option A The Drowned World ?

message 12: by Nick (last edited Dec 14, 2015 06:44AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Christine wrote: "Fo option A The Drowned World ?"

This is a title word task. The title must have "Sea" or "Water" or "Sunken" in the title. "Drowned" does not work. Sorry.

message 13: by Wanda (last edited Dec 31, 2015 08:28PM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1686 comments No question

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Verify music in genres for Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl :)
Thank you.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Morgan wrote: "Verify music in genres for Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl :)
Thank you."

Looks like "Music" is a GR genre for this book. Enjoy!

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15863 comments Mod
For option C, please verify sports as genre - This Old Man: All in Pieces. Thanks!

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Sandy wrote: "For option C, please verify sports as genre - This Old Man: All in Pieces. Thanks!"

Verified!

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15863 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Sandy wrote: "For option C, please verify sports as genre - This Old Man: All in Pieces. Thanks!"

Verified!"

Thanks, Nick.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Claire wrote: "Option A: Hungry as the Sea by Wilbur Smith

Option B: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez"

Looks good.

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1691 comments For Option C will "Sports and Games" work for the genre or does it have to be Sports as single word?
(I'm looking at A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win)

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Julia wrote: "For Option C will "Sports and Games" work for the genre or does it have to be Sports as single word?
(I'm looking at A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win)"

My thinking is that "Sports" is technically embedded in the phrase "Sports and Games," so it will work.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1011 comments Hi Nick! Could I get approval for Option C Genre Music for this book please?

I’m Glad I Did

I’m Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Hi Nick! Could I get approval for Option C Genre Music for this book please?

I’m Glad I Did

I’m Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil"

Looks good.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1011 comments Nick wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Hi Nick! Could I get approval for Option C Genre Music for this book please?

I’m Glad I Did

I’m Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil"

Looks good."

message 26: by Lola (last edited Feb 14, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Lola | 287 comments Would this title work for Option A?

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Water is in the title in "Rosewater"

Thanks!

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Sorry, but I do not think the last name "Rosewater" keeps the original meaning of the word "Water." I will forward the question to the moderators though.

message 28: by Lola (new)

Lola | 287 comments Nick wrote: "Sorry, but I do not think the last name "Rosewater" keeps the original meaning of the word "Water." I will forward the question to the moderators though."
Thanks so much. I appreciate you looking into it!

message 29: by Nick (last edited Feb 15, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2442 comments Lorraine wrote: "Nick wrote: "Sorry, but I do not think the last name "Rosewater" keeps the original meaning of the word "Water." I will forward the question to the moderators though."
Thanks so much. I appreciate..."

Dlmrose wrote back to me:

"I'm with you- dictionary.com has a 2-word spelling "rose water" or "rose-water" for rose-infused water. I don't think rosewater in Mr. Rosewater preserves the meaning of water. It's really a stretch."

Sorry. Hope you can fit it in. Vonnegut is one of my favs.

message 30: by Lola (new)

Lola | 287 comments Nick wrote: "Lorraine wrote: "Nick wrote: "Sorry, but I do not think the last name "Rosewater" keeps the original meaning of the word "Water." I will forward the question to the moderators though."
Thanks so m..."

I figured as much but it never hurts to ask :) I was banking on rosewater still being...water ;) Anyway, it's an excellent read so far-I'll find a place for it, hopefully!