The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.3 - Sirena's task: Hey Baby, It's Cold Outside...So Pick a Side!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 08, 2015 05:16PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10890 comments Mod
25.3 - Sirena's task: Hey Baby, It's Cold Outside...So Pick a Side!
The Cold War, for me, is the most interesting and compelling time period in 20th century history. So much was accomplished; so much was at stake; and so much continues to be exposed about the era (1947-1991) and the players.

Since where you are born is up to chance, flip a coin to establish your alliance. Heads = USA; Tails = USSR

Pick 2 different options and follow the rules for your alliance.

Required: Indicate the results of your coin flip and which options you chose when you post.

Option 1: Key Leaders The men who ran the Cold War led storied lives. Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir about one of the men who lead your alliance. Genres may be stand alone or embedded.
USA: Harry S. Truman; Dwight D. Eisenhower; John F. Kennedy; Lyndon B. Johnson; Richard Nixon; Gerald Ford; Jimmy Carter; Ronald Reagan; or George H.W. Bush
USSR: Joseph Stalin; Georgy Malenkov; Nikita Kruschev; Leonid Brezhnev; Yuri Andropov; Konstinin Chernenko; Mikhail Gorbachev

Option 2: Space Race I love the Space Race. It exemplifies how competition can spur man to the greatest heights, and how, sometimes, having an arch-rival can motivate us to do better, be better, and...deceive better. Read a non-fiction book about a topic listed under your alliance. Topic should be obvious in the GR summary.
USA: NASA; Astronauts; Space Race; Apollo program; Space Exploration; Aviation; Physics
USSR: Russian Aviation and Space Agency; Cosmonauts; Space Race; Yuri Gagarin; Space Colonization; Rocketry; Astronomy
**Because "Space Race" books will cover both USA and USSR, books identified as such can work for either alliance. Science topics (space exploration, rocketry, etc.) are general and do not need to be alliance specific.**

Option 3: Espionage Everyone knows...NOW...how espionage played a crucial role during the Cold War. From the Rosenbergs to Kim Philby, James Bond to George Smiley to Jason Bourne, spies fascinate us. Read a fiction or non-fiction book with the main page genre "Espionage", with additional specifications based on your alliance. Genre may be stand-alone or embedded.
USA: The book must be set at least 50% in the USSR or Eastern Bloc (USSR and Eastern Bloc countries that work for this task: Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Tajikistan, Moldova, Kyrgyzstan, Lithuania, Turkmenistan, Armenia, Latvia, Estonia, East Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Romania, and Poland).
USSR: The book must be set at least 50% in the USA. (This includes the United States, and the territories of Guam, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands).

Option 4: Peace The end of the Cold War was a defining moment in 20th century history, and one that I distinctly remember from the news coverage, and the change in mission that my parents experienced in the military. This peace was accomplished by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, and, according to himself, David Hasselhoff. Read a fiction book that contains a word of 3 or more letters (excluding "the") from the quote attributed to the leader of your alliance OR David Hasselhoff in the title or subtitle. Words must match exactly.
USA: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."
USSR: "If not me, who? And if not now, when?"
HASSELHOFF: "I find it a bit sad that there is no photo of me hanging on the walls in the Berlin Museum at Check-Point Charlie."

message 2: by Sirena (last edited Jan 19, 2016 03:59AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments We are go for launch:

Option 1, Alliance: USSR:
Stalin and His Hangmen The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him by Donald Rayfield

Option 1, Alliance: USA
Rawhide Down The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan by Del Quentin Wilber

Option 2, Alliance: USSR:
Rocket Men The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon by Craig Nelson The Pluto Files The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet by Neil deGrasse Tyson How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell Moon Shot The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon by Alan Shepard

Option 2, Alliance: USA
Rocket Men The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon by Craig Nelson The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell Moon Shot The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon by Alan Shepard Riding Rockets The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean The Little Book of String Theory by Steven Scott Gubser The Wright Brothers by David McCullough Pale Blue Dot A Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan

Option 3, Alliance: USA:
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (Jack Ryan, #4) by Tom Clancy Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1) by Martin Cruz Smith The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré

Option 3, Alliance: USSR:
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) by Tom Clancy The Guilty (Will Robie, #4) by David Baldacci

Option 4, Alliance: USA:
The Wall by John Hersey

Option 4, Alliance: Hasselhoff:
Hanging Hill by Mo Hayder

message 3: by Sirena (last edited Jan 28, 2016 04:02AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Houston, we have a problem...

Option 2, Alliance: USSR:
Rocket Boys (Coalwood #1) by Homer Hickam (not about rocketry)
Riding Rockets The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane (not about rocketry)

Option 3, Alliance: USA
Night Soldiers (Night Soldiers, #1) by Alan Furst (Set in W. Europe)

Option 3, Alliance: USSR
The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Set in Vietnam)

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10890 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments Lol option 4

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments I flipped tails - USSR.

Just wanted to get some clarification on Option 2 (because, YAY! books about space!)

For "Space Race", would a book about Apollo 11 work? I know the Apollo program is a USA topic, but would you consider Apollo 11 part of the Space Race? Specifically, I'm looking at Rocket Men: The Epic Story of the First Men on the Moon, if that helps.

If not (because I can't decide) would a book about Pluto work for Astronomy? Looking at either The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet or How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming.

Also, just to double check, for Option 4, I can use "and" as my word?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments So for option 4, we are going by the first letter of each word in the phrase of our prospective side?

message 8: by Kathy G. (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:13PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Does this work for Opt. 3?
I don't know if it's in 50% USSR.

The Cardinal of the Kremlin
I'm in USA

thanks

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 634 comments Looking at The Spy Who Came In from the Cold for option 2.

Would you consider allowing books set in the Eastern Bloc countries (East Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland)? Just curious.

Thank you.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1155 comments Rolled tails: USSR

Please approve The Guilty for Option 2: espionage, which is currently near the bottom of the genre list.

For option 4, can I go with Hanging Hill which has the word "hanging" from the Hasselhoff quote?

Thanks!

message 11: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Oh, this is one of the most interesting tasks I've seen to date! I'm not even completely biased because I get to read an astronomy book as an option. :)

Very educational AND funny. Great job Kristina!

message 12: by Trish (last edited Dec 08, 2015 02:14AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2453 comments Having called tails, I need a book set 50% in the US. I'm debating rereading The Hunt for Red October for Option 3, which is one of my all-time favourite Cold War novels. All the analysis stuff on Ryan's side is US based, but a certain amount of the story happens on a US submarine in the Atlantic. Would that be "US" enough to cover the option.

message 13: by Sirena (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:37AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Boston Kate wrote: "I flipped tails - USSR.

Just wanted to get some clarification on Option 2 (because, YAY! books about space!)

For "Space Race", would a book about Apollo 11 work? I know the Apollo program is a US..."

Apollo 11 is definitely, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the space race and works for option 2. Also, books about Pluto would count as astronomy, too!

For option 4, yes, "and" works for the USSR!

message 14: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "So for option 4, we are going by the first letter of each word in the phrase of our prospective side?"

East Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulg..."

For option 4, I have asked the moderators to clarify my language to say: "Read a fiction book that contains a word of 3 or more letters (excluding "the") from the quote attributed to the leader of your alliance OR David Hasselhoff in the title or subtitle.

message 15: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does this work for Opt. 3?
I don't know if it's in 50% USSR.

The Cardinal of the Kremlin
I'm in USA

thanks"

Approved!

message 16: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Does it also work for 50% USA? I thought it might.
I misunderstood the coin toss--- :-)

message 17: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Kim wrote: "Looking at The Spy Who Came In from the Cold for option 2.

Would you consider allowing books set in the Eastern Bloc countries (East Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulg..."

I have asked the moderators to add Eastern Bloc countries to the option, which would mean The Spy Who Came In from the Cold would definitely work.

message 18: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Amy wrote: "Rolled tails: USSR

Please approve The Guilty for Option 2: espionage, which is currently near the bottom of the genre list.

For option 4, can I go with Hanging Hill..."

Both books are approved!

message 19: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Trish wrote: "Having called tails, I need a book set 50% in the US. I'm debating rereading The Hunt for Red October for Option 3, which is one of my all-time favourite Cold War novels. All the ana..."

Approved!

message 20: by Sirena (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:34AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does it also work for 50% USA? I thought it might.
I misunderstood the coin toss--- :-)"

If your alliance is to the USA, then the book should be 50% in the USSR (or the Eastern Bloc countries, pending approval from the moderators), because you would spy on your enemies.

If your alliance is to the USSR, you want to spy on the United States.

That being said, it looks like this book would work either way, based on the GR setting data.

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you--- I get it now.
Great book--- working for both sides. :-)

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3871 comments My alliance is USA.

For option 3, I am choosing Gorky Park.

For option 4, using USA quote, I am choosing The Wall.

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2453 comments Sirena wrote: "Trish wrote: "Having called tails, I need a book set 50% in the US. I'm debating rereading The Hunt for Red October for Option 3..."

Approved! "

Thank you!

message 24: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Bea wrote: "My alliance is USA.

For option 3, I am choosing Gorky Park.

For option 4, using USA quote, I am choosing The Wall."

Both books look really good!

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments Sirena wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "I flipped tails - USSR.

For "Space Race", would a book about Apollo 11 work? I know the Ap..."

Awesome, thanks! Now just to make a decision! :)

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3652 comments I haven't even flipped the coin yet, but just wondering about this book for Option 2 USA alliance
The Astronaut Wives Club

or this one if I flip "tails" for USSR
Rocket Boys

message 27: by Sirena (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I haven't even flipped the coin yet, but just wondering about this book for Option 2 USA alliance
The Astronaut Wives Club

or this one if I flip "tails" for USSR
[book:Rocket Boy..."

The Astronauts Wives Club will work for the subject "Astronauts" under the Option 2 USA Alliance.

Rocket Boys is one of my favorite books, and Homer Hickam is so wonderful. But, this book does not fit for USSR as it is primarily a memoir about Homer Hickam in West Virginia, and his sparking interest in science.

message 28: by KSMary (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:49AM) (new)

KSMary | 794 comments I rolled Heads - USA. Would any of these work for Opt 2 Space Race:
Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell , Riding Rockets The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane or Moon Shot The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon by Alan Shepard

message 29: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments For option 1, is this enough about Stalin to qualify? Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him

message 30: by Sirena (last edited Dec 08, 2015 11:42AM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments KSMary wrote: "I rolled Heads - USA. Would any of these work for Opt 2 Space Race:
Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell, [bookcover:Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shutt..."

Lost Moon would work only because 7 users categorized it as "Astronomy," but not for Space Race (because the Space Race died down after we reached the moon).

Moon Shot definitely works for Space Race.

Riding Rockets doesn't work for USSR because it is not about Russian Aviation and Space Agency; Cosmonauts; Space Race; Yuri Gagarin; Space Colonization; Rocketry; Astronomy. (It seems like a good book for the NASA/Astronauts topics for the USA alliance).

message 31: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Jennifer W wrote: "For option 1, is this enough about Stalin to qualify? Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him"

That works!

message 32: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Daphne wrote: "Oh, this is one of the most interesting tasks I've seen to date! I'm not even completely biased because I get to read an astronomy book as an option. :)

Very educational AND funny. Great job Krist..."

Thanks!

message 33: by Emily (last edited Dec 08, 2015 12:03PM) (new)

Emily | 653 comments Sirena wrote: "KSMary wrote: "I rolled Heads - USA. Would any of these work for Opt 2 Space Race:
Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell, [bookcover:Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales o..."

If she flipped Heads, which is USA, wouldn't any of those books work for Option 2 for being about NASA?

message 34: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Sirena wrote: "KSMary wrote: "I rolled Heads - USA. Would any of these work for Opt 2 Space Race:
Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell, [bookcover:Riding Rockets: The Out..."

I did add them to the USA. I am trying to keep up with the questions.

message 35: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments Sirena wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "For option 1, is this enough about Stalin to qualify? Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him"

That works!"

Thanks!

message 36: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 852 comments For Option 2 are you ok with a book by a Canadian Astronaut I am looking at Chris Hadfield's book An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
it talks about his ques tand training to become and astronaut and his experiences on the Space Station.
I am in the USA alliance.

message 37: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "For Option 2 are you ok with a book by a Canadian Astronaut I am looking at Chris Hadfield's book An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
it talks about his ques tand training to bec..."

It does match the subject "Astronauts." When I read that book, I gave it 5 stars. It is so good, and he is such an interesting person! Enjoy the book!

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim | 634 comments My alliance is the USA. Please verify the following are ok:

Option 2. The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe

Option 3. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré

Thank you.

message 39: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Kim wrote: "My alliance is the USA. Please verify the following are ok:

Option 2. The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe

Option 3. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré

Thank you."

Fantastic choices. Both are approved.

message 40: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments For Option 2, alliance USA, would you accept Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void? Thanks for your help! :)

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 697 comments For Option 3, alliance USA, how about Night Soldiers? Sounds like a mixture of settings, including some Western Europe, but also includes Bulgaria and Soviet Russia.

message 43: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments kiki wrote: "For Option 2, alliance USA, would you accept Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void? Thanks for your help! :)"

This definitely qualifies for space exploration! Enjoy!

message 44: by Sirena (last edited Dec 13, 2015 02:27PM) (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Kristen wrote: "For Option 3, alliance USA, how about Night Soldiers? Sounds like a mixture of settings, including some Western Europe, but also includes Bulgaria and Soviet Russia."

I don't think this works. The GR summary seems to set it primarily in Western Europe, specifically France.

message 45: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Brooke wrote: "For Option 2 (USA), would having main page genre Science > Physics work for [book:The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table..."

That works! Enjoy!

message 46: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sirena wrote: "Trish wrote: "Having called tails, I need a book set 50% in the US. I'm debating rereading The Hunt for Red October for Option 3, which is one of my all-time favourite Cold War novel..."

Well that answered my question :-) I'm going to read Patriot Games as well. I'm not sure if enough of it will be set in the US to count but I haven't read it before and I'll find another home for it if I find it doesn't fit.

message 47: by Nicola (last edited Dec 20, 2015 03:26AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments As a suggestion for those who flipped for the US, the Mrs Pollifax series by Dorothy Gillman are often set in Eastern bloc countries. They are a lighthearted and fun set of books, at least I've enjoyed the 3 I've recently read.

Fun task btw.

message 48: by Whitnie (last edited Dec 23, 2015 03:16AM) (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments okay, so I got USA and I'm looking at option two and one of the topics can be physics. I'm wondering if this book would work
The Little Book of String Theory

message 49: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Nicola wrote: "As a suggestion for those who flipped for the US, the Mrs Pollifax series by Dorothy Gillman are often set in Eastern bloc countries. They are a lighthearted and fun set of books, at least I've enj..."

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

message 50: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments Whitnie wrote: "okay, so I got USA and I'm looking at option two and one of the topics can be physics. I'm wondering if this book would work
The Little Book of String Theory"

Yes, that works for physics. Enjoy!

« previous 1