2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Read-a-thons > Third Read-A-Thon: Winter Vacation

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Alrighty guys, day 3 for our week long read-a-thon is coming to an end. Let's close tonight with a *mental* vacation. As we all know, it is December...and in most parts of the world that means winter has dug it's cold, snowy claws in to stay for a few months. Why don't we all just take a moment, and take a

Winter Vacation

1: Name a book that is set in a warm area.
2: Have you read this book before? If not, where did you hear about it?
3: Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation.
4: Have you ever tried these foods/drinks, or did they just sound appetizing?
5: Pick a character (or two) from your favorite book/series to accompany you on your vacation.

TIME FOR A PLOT TWIST!!

6: Pick a "villain" from a book you've read recently to crash your vacation.
7: Pick your escape route, name a "choose your own adventure" book.
8: Time to save the day, name a "hero" from one of your favorite books.

message 2: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
Yay! This is fun!

Name a book that is set in a warm area: Burning

Burning by Elana K. Arnold

Have you read this book before? If not, where did you hear about it? Nope! I don't actually remember how it got on my to-read shelf. It wasn't a recommendation so I likely stumbled on it browsing GoodReads.

Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation. Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Tequila Mockingbird Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle

Have you ever tried these foods/drinks, or did they just sound appetizing? Nah. But it combines cocktails and literary puns. How bad can it be?

Pick a character (or two) from your favorite book/series to accompany you on your vacation.
Parzival, Aech, and Art3mis from Ready Player One - they're all big nerds like me and they could probably use a vacation.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Pick a "villain" from a book you've read recently to crash your vacation.
Queen Levana from Cinder

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Pick your escape route, name a "choose your own adventure" book. What If . . . All Your Dreams Came True

What If . . . All Your Dreams Came True by Liz Ruckdeschel

Time to save the day, name a "hero" from one of your favorite books. Harry Potter, of course!

message 3: by E.A. (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:23PM) (new)

E.A. | 11 comments 1: Name a book that is set in a warm area.
Open Season

Yes I've actually read this book a few time.

3: Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation.
The Art of the Cocktail: 100 Classic Cocktail Recipes
The Art of the Cocktail 100 Classic Cocktail Recipes by Philip Collins

Some, I'm a bit of a lush.. :p

5: Pick a character (or two) from your favorite book/series to accompany you on your vacation.
Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice and Aurora from The Divinicus Nex Chronicles

TIME FOR A PLOT TWIST!!

Why the F@#$ would I do that? ...

There will be no escape route, because I am vicious, I will cut a B!tc&

There is no need because I saved myself, but in light of things, and because I think is character is badass, Annabeth Chase from the Percy Jackson Series

PS... No-one messes with my vaca, even if it's in my head.. especially if it's in my head.

Peace!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Emmy Lou Who wrote: "Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation. Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist..."

I have this book!!!

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna 1: Name a book that is set in a warm area. Making Waves
2: Have you read this book before? If not, where did you hear about it? Yes I own in on my nook.
3: Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation. Anything from The Pioneer Woman
4: Have you ever tried these foods/drinks, or did they just sound appetizing? I've tried some of them and they are delicious!
5: Pick a character (or two) from your favorite book/series to accompany you on your vacation. Mr. Darcy ;)

TIME FOR A PLOT TWIST!!

6: Pick a "villain" from a book you've read recently to crash your vacation. Not really a villian...but I choose Emma from Jane Austen's Emma. I find her super irritating.
7: Pick your escape route, name a "choose your own adventure" book. Mr. Darcy makes a raft and we float away?
8: Time to save the day, name a "hero" from one of your favorite books. Aslan from Narnia

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 122 comments 1: Name a book that is set in a warm area.
The Piano Tuner

Yes

The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook

They looked appetizing on TV.

I'm going to go with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

TIME FOR A PLOT TWIST!!

ugh must I? Peter Pettigrew is the most recent villain.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione use their wands and save the day

Harry Potter!

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments 1: Name a book that is set in a warm area.
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line

Yes, I read it this year.

Creole Gumbo and All That Jazz: A New Orleans Seafood Cookbook

I haven't tried them, they just all sound so delicious!

I'm going with two separate characters from different books as I can't pick but, Shug Avery (from The Color Purple) and Ron Weasley (I really don't have to say what he's from, now do I?)

Cersei Lannister from the A Song of Ice and Fire series. (I kind of cheated on this one but as it turns out, pretty much all the villains in the books I've read this year are murderers and/or rapists and just nah)

A Girl Walks Into a Wedding: Your Fantasy, Your Rules (pahaha, a wedding in ASOIAF can only go well, right?!)

Tyrion Lannister (he counts as a hero right?)

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments 1: Name a book that is set in a warm area. Big Little Lies
2: Have you read this book before? If not, where did you hear about it? I have, and it was great!
3: Pick a cook book (or cocktail book) that has things you'd like to eat on vacation. Rick Stein's Seafood
4: Have you ever tried these foods/drinks, or did they just sound appetizing? Not yet, but I have tried some of his Indian recipes, and I love seafood & seafood is fantastic holiday food. Plus, I love Rick Stein!
5: Pick a character (or two) from your favorite book/series to accompany you on your vacation. I pick Charlotte & Wilbur from Charlotte's Web, because I like animals more than most people and also, they won't steal my seafood!

TIME FOR A PLOT TWIST!!

6: Pick a "villain" from a book you've read recently to crash your vacation. I choose the monster from Frankenstein, because he was truly misunderstood & just needs to be loved - and I know what that feels like.
7: Pick your escape route, name a "choose your own adventure" book. I need no escape route! Also, I don't know any of those kinds of books.
8: Time to save the day, name a "hero" from one of your favorite books. Snape.

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) I am loving your answers guys!! Especially some of yours E.A.!!! And Jody, most people don't view Snape as a "hero" but I most definitely support your decision to name him...he's kind of like Frankenstein, just misunderstood (and a bit of an a$$ sometimes) :)