Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments I just finished a new book. A somewhat cozy mystery series set in New York City. I would love some feedback. I’m afraid it might be too subtle. Since this will be a series, all other books would follow this same graphic style.

Cover

Book Blurb
Life's not easy for the members of the Thursday night book club. After fifteen years of dutiful service, Jerri maybe on the employment line. Cece can't get her grown son to move out and take his pregnant girlfriend with him. Sabrina's husband wants to drain her bank account to fund his next get rich quick scheme. They all need a change, desperately. While Jerri imagines plots of sabotaging her new boss and Cece wistfully contemplate running away from home. Sabrina dreams of killing her husband. Unfortunately, one of their wishes comes true

The entire cover will look like this on the paperback

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Beverly (writesistah) | 53 comments It's a pretty cover but I don't know if it's "dark" enough, being that it speaks of a wife killing a husband and another woman sabotaging her new boss, etc. Also, did you mean to say that after fifteen years of dutiful service, "Jerri may be on the unemployment line"?

message 3: by Pamela (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:00PM) (new)

Pamela Beverly (writesistah) | 53 comments I should've said a wife "dreams" of killing her husband.

message 4: by Chikamso (new)

Chikamso Efobi (cheexy) | 92 comments I would like to read your book. It sounds interesting. I think the cover may be a bit too bright but it is very attractive.

message 5: by Ceanmohrlass (new)

Ceanmohrlass Ceanmohrlass | 69 comments I love the blurb and the title! The pink section for me makes it look a bit more like ChickLit or more of a lighter fare than a mystery though.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Luckourt (nicole_luckourt) | 22 comments I think the cover looks good, but I'm not sure if it matches with your story. Like someone else mentioned, I'm thinking ChickLit but more of a light-heartened one than one with a dark side.

message 7: by Christina (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:28PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I don't know. Browsing through cozy mysteries brings up a lot of whimsical and lighthearted covers. Perhaps that's a quirk of the genre? (Sorry, not entirely familiar with what makes a mystery cozy)

I like it. It's clean, easy to read, and makes a good thumbnail.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Thanks for the feedback. This is the third incarnation of the cover. I wanted the colors to be light, despite the subject matter and the book title, because the story has a heavy dose of humor. I'm not fond of the word cozy because it sound too sweet natured for these protagonists and the setting.

message 9: by Dorsey (new)

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments I think the cover is well crafted. After reading the plot here's a suggestion... Maybe blood trickling down the sides of the building to contrast the brightness of the colors. That may give it that hint of hidden darkness that's to be portrayed.

message 10: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1103 comments I like the cover too and the blurb. Just for contrast since it's all pastel, maybe an ecru background (?), just since there is so much pink. I like it though, makes me think of a Cosmopolitan :), and it's nice the way the layers come into focus. Also, the pointed things on top of the buildings could be thought of as subtle danger. I don't think blood on the building would fit though, IMHO. :)

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments Just a few questions about the blurb.
1. Should "After fifteen years of dutiful service, Jerri maybe on the employment line." be "After fifteen years of dutiful service, Jerri may be on the unemployment line."?

(may be instead of maybe and unemployment instead of employment.)

2. "...Cece wistfully contemplate..." or "...Cece wistfully contemplates..."?

(contemplates instead of contemplate.)

3. "Unfortunately, one of their wishes comes true." I wouldn't consider all of those wishes unfortunate. Maybe drop the word 'unfortunate'?

I really like the cover, by the way :-)

Note: I use the following as a guide for when to use maybe/may be:
Like maybe, the word perhaps is an adverb. If it works perfectly in your sentence, then you should be using maybe. If perhaps does not work well (i.e., you feel there is a word missing), then you should be using may be.

message 12: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments Jill wrote: "Thanks for the feedback. This is the third incarnation of the cover. I wanted the colors to be light, despite the subject matter and the book title, because the story has a heavy dose of humor. I'm..."

Perhaps you can keep it light - basically the way it is, but with one element that is out of place and hints at the dark side of things underneath. Otherwise, I also like it.
I also agree with Melanie's comments above, including the use of "may be" instead of "maybe".
Cheers!

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Thanks again. Adjusting the cover and blurb a bit.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments I did a few background changes to see how things would look without so much pink. The left one might get washed out, but the blue might work.
Cover

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the right one a lot. Best so far.

message 16: by Ceanmohrlass (new)

Ceanmohrlass Ceanmohrlass | 69 comments Love the blue one!

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) The blue feels a bit more natural for sky, but I think the pink would stand out a little more.

message 18: by India (new)

India Daram (goodreadscomindia_daram) | 13 comments The one on the right looks great. Good luck with ur novel.

message 19: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments Out of all three, I like the blue best, but blue is my favourite colour, so maybe I'm biased. Good luck with your novel.

message 20: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Laurencius (andreaslaurencius) | 74 comments I think I like the pink one better.
Because from reading the blurb, I see that you should accentuate the feminine side and the cruel side of the novel.

message 21: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments As I said above, I like the blue best, but I like the pink too. My question: what is your genre? Because the pink doesn't seem to fit with mystery, although I don't know what "cozy mystery" means. Is it ChickLit? Or darker? Your colour choices should reflect your genre and your target audience, IMO.

message 22: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Laurencius (andreaslaurencius) | 74 comments I like to think that feminine and cruelty are two opposite forces (even though my girlfriend seems to disagree). It'll be very interesting to explore the opposing forces.

message 23: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments Hey! Where's the smog? ;-)

message 24: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1103 comments I like both pink and blue. I think cozy mystery readers will get it. There are Agatha Christie editions that are in the pastel range. The sharp edges offset the pastels which are strong in their own right. Good luck!

message 25: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Oh! I liked the pink. I thought it fit. It stands out much more than the blue and beige. I would pick up that pink-covered book, virtually or tangibly. I think the script works well with the title and the scene.

message 26: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Another thought: try a blend of pink and blue. Lavender.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Never thought of lavender.

message 28: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Holmes | 4 comments I like the colours and blend of the blue one but I'm not sure about the text colours. Black seems a little stark and out of kilter with cozy crime and the author name on white doesn't stand out as much as it could if it was in a different colour. Good luck with it though. The book sounds good. Best wishes Ellie

message 29: by S.J. (last edited Dec 12, 2015 02:56AM) (new)

S.J. Abbo (abbobooks) | 32 comments I honestly think that first one (pink) is the best. It's about womens book club and they life struggles so it's fit. Based on the blurb there are mystery but it's not dark one. I agree with Ellie about author name doesn't stand out.
Good luck with you book...

message 30: by Katja (new)

Katja Vartiainen | 33 comments Hi, it needs the night! Moon! I like the style though. Good luck!

message 31: by Jill (last edited Dec 18, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments I want to thank everyone for their help. I've decided to go with the pink one. It flows more to the genre. Though totally not fully a cozy mystery, but I think it works for the audience I'm looking for, at least I hope. Only change was slightly increasing the author name. Thanks again. If anyone needs a critique on a book cover please don't hesitate to ask.