Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

Best books of 2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Throughout December we'll discuss the our favorite books that were published in 2015.
One of my favorite books from 2015 was "The girl in the Spider's Web" by David Lagercrantz. It is a continuation of The girl with the dragon tattoo series. I think the author did a fabulous job of keeping up the feel of the series. I found myself cheering once again for Lisbeth. What was your favorite or one of your favorite books of 2015?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I just finished a wonderful book called The Improbability of Love: A novel that was published this year. The title's namesake is a famed lost painting purchased by a young woman in a thrift store, and features a colorful cast of characters fighting for ownership including trendsetters and tastemakers, shady art dealers, survivors of both sides of WWII, rich immigrants craving prestige, and a few working stiffs. It's rather long and took me a while to really get into, but once I was hooked I couldn't put it down.

message 3: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
Jessica, I've been hearing that title, and I want to read it. Good to hear that you liked it so well.
My favorite had to be "Our Souls at Night" by Kent Haruf. I've probably mentioned it in this group before, but it's a beautiful story about friendship and love, and loneliness.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (gink) | 5 comments This was a "catch-up" year for me; to try and digest many of the novels teetering on my nightstand. My favorites weren't published in 2015. But I can recommend (pub. 2014) "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry". A delight to read! Poignant and funny, all rolled into one.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave (balboafish) | 19 comments Averaged about two books a week in 2015 and rated 13 books with 5 stars. Read mostly mysteries and thrillers with a few novels and historical fiction. I, too, loved the girl in the Spider's Web and The Storied Life of A. J. Fikrey. Also loved reading All the Light We Cannot See, The Nightingale, and Go set a Watchman.

My second place goes to Lamentation, historical fiction by C. J. Sansom. My best read of the year was non-fiction, The Billion Dollar Spy by David Hoffman

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I loved The Storied Life of AJ Fikrey. I also really enjoyed All the Light We Cannot See and The Nightingale.
I'll have to check out The Billion Dollar Spy.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Michael | 48 comments Looking back on what I read in 2015...All the Light We Cannot See was among the best. Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf was one of those small treasures..that you can read in one sitting and rings so true.Kent Haruf will be so missed! For fun..I really enjoyed finishing with the Timothy Wilde series..written by Lyndsey Faye..and wished that it was more than a trilogy! Happy New Year...and good reading!!

message 8: by Amy (last edited Jan 01, 2016 05:39PM) (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Happy New Year Cindy! I agree our Souls at Night is a small treasure. I am currently reading the 2nd Timothy Wilde book. I didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. That's too bad I really enjoy the setting and characters.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Michael | 48 comments Amy wrote: "Happy New Year Cindy! I agree our Souls at Night is a small treasure. I am currently reading the 2nd Timothy Wilde book. I didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. That's too bad I really enjoy the..."

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Michael | 48 comments My favorite of the Timothy Wilde series is the 2nd one that you are reading! Each one follows a theme...such as children indentured into prostitution..in the first...and underground railroad for slaves..in the second. Won't tell you what the 3rd is...but just sorry that will be it!!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Thanks for not spoiling it for me. The author obviously did a lot of research. It is a good combo of historical fiction and mystery.