You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Kirila's Geocaching

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirila (last edited Dec 04, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Wonderful challenge idea! Here are the books I plan to read and later the current progress:

South America - Chile: Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
- 07.06.2016 - Read a book set in Chile - The House of the Spirits
- 05.11.2016 - Read a book that is a Rita Award winner or nominee. (You’ve got to know where this inspiration comes from.) - Outlander
- 02.05.2016 - Take Home Item – Bottle of Water: Read a book that has water on the cover. - All the Light We Cannot See All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Europe - Netherlands: Mill Network at Kinderdijk-Elshout
- 02.12.3016 - Read a book set in the Netherlands - The Black Tulip
- 29.11.2016 - Read a book with the word “Windmill”, “Wind” or “Mill” in the title - The Name of the Wind
- 22.06.2016 - Take Home Item – Tulip: Read a book with several flowers on the cover. The Scarlet Pimpernel- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy

Africa
Botswana: Tsodilo
- 14.05.2016 - Read a book set in Botswana - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
- 09.09.2016 - Read a book set in Prehistoric Times - Wolf Brother
- 29.09.2016 - Take Home Item – Quartz: Read a book where the title begins with the letter Q, or the word Quartz is in the title. - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Australia - New Zealand: Te Wahipounamu – South West New Zealand
- 06.10.2016 - Read a book set in New Zealand - National Geographic Traveler: New Zealand
- 16.04.2016 - Read a book in the fantasy genre (sorry, can’t help but think of the Lord of the Rings movies) - The Return of the King
- 24.07.2016 - Take Home Item – Chunk of Glacier Ice: Read a book where there is snow/ice on the cover, or “snow” or “ice” is in the title. - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

North America

Asia

message 2: by Kirila (last edited May 14, 2016 02:59AM) (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Books read that don't fit anywhere (yet):

Career of Evil - 07.02.2016 - Senegal -- Island of Gorée -- Take Home Item – Link of Chain: Read a book that is linked to another because it’s in a series.

message 3: by Kirila (last edited Feb 08, 2016 09:40AM) (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I just read Career of Evil just because (just because it was due at the library and there is a long waiting list) and can put it down for "Take Home Item", if I decide to do Senegal. I don't think it fits anywhere else.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Kirila wrote: "I just read Career of Evil just because (just because it was due at the library and there is a long waiting list) and can put it down for "Take Home Item", if I decide to do Senegal..."

It's set in England, so it could be used for The Tower of London.

message 5: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments It's a been a slow start to the year. I finally started one of the planned Geocaching books yesterday. But since it's The Return of the King, it won't get much faster :)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments 2016 is just crazy.

message 7: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Yey, finally finished The Return of the King! I read it two years after I read the first two books... I guess I was dreading the size of it and wanted to read a lot of other books. But now I am done and it was great! I knew what happens from the movies, but it was still very captivating to read it. Especially the end of Book 5 and beginning of Book 6. And then I was done with the part that was familiar and there was still quite a lot left. The story continued in The Shire with some unexpected events. Surprising ending, too.

message 8: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Last night I went to bed early, thought I would read a bit and go to sleep. I had more than 150 pages left from All the Light We Cannot See so it never occurred to me that I would be up for 3 hours finishing the book. The chapters are short and as convenient as that might be when you want to stop somewhere, it also makes it impossible to stop. I would think "Just one more chapter, it's just 3-4 pages" and keep going. I couldn't put it down. And it was so emotional! I was crying for the last hour.

Highly recommend it! It's about World War II and how a French girl and a German boy grow up during those times. Both of them are sweet and likable. I think it's their innocence and honesty that wins your heart.

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Great tribute to the book, Kirila. I really need to move AtLWCS up on my reading list.

Those short chapters can really wreck havoc with sleep, I know.

message 10: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I had been meaning to start this series for a while and now I finally go the chance. I very much enjoyed the insight on life and culture in Botswana and want to read more about it!

The main character, Precious Ramotswe, was smart and entertaining, and so was the writing, which made the book a pleasant and quick read.

There were some mysteries in there, but it felt more about the character's life and background story, than about the mysteries. There were a bunch of small ones, but not one big one, which could be the center of the book. It's not that I did not enjoy it, but I was surprised, because that's the standard for cozy mysteries from my experience. The smaller cases don't give you enough time to get clues, analyze them, guess for yourself. And that's one of the main reasons I enjoy mysteries.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1112 comments Kirila wrote: "Finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I had been meaning to start this series for a while and now I finally go the chance. I very much enjoyed the insight on life and culture in ..."

That's such a fun series. I've read a few of them and enjoyed them all!

message 12: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Suzanne wrote: "That's such a fun series. I've read a few of them and enjoyed them all!"

Did you read them in order? Are they always small cases or was the first one an exception?

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1112 comments I read all but one in order, and yes they are small cases, but the author does weave an overarching storyline throughout several books, so it is best to read them in order.

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I agree with Suzanne. The series and the characters build on each other, so best read in order. There no major who done it mysteries, just problem solving and working out things. There are bad people who bad things, but this series is about the characters and life things. It is a "feel good" series. I have #16 yet to read for my Geo Challenge.

message 15: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Last night I finished The House of the Spirits and I loved it! It's a family saga set in Chile and follows the life through 4 generations. It was easy to read, which surprised me as I found some of her other books a bit more difficult to follow. But it might have been just the story pulling me in. The characters were very different, but I still liked all of them and hoped things will turn out well. I also enjoyed the historical part as the book covers major political changes in Chile. It was interesting to learn about Chile's history through the lives of this family's members. I think I mostly liked the book because it was very emotional. There was hate, love, passion, tragedy. And I lived it all with the characters.

message 16: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I am going to count the group read The Scarlet Pimpernel for the "Read a book with several flowers on the cover" task as I had already planned it and that's why I nominated this one :)

I quite enjoyed it and it was fun discussing it with other people as they provided insight such as the background of the author and what "water parties" are.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Yes, between the Group reads and the toppler, I applied 4 books to my Geo challenge. I used The Scarlet Pimpernel for the same task as you did. It was planned even before we picked it for a group read.

message 18: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It was very interesting, but I didn't particularly like the characters. I like women that are strong and the ones in this book were unloyal and submissive. I get those were the times, but oh well, still didn't like nor understand them.

message 19: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I read Wolf Brother for the prehistoric theme. It's a children's book. A very easy read. I enjoyed the story, but I don't think it's one of those children's books that also appeal to adults. If it wasn't for this task, I wouldn't have read it. Even though I enjoyed it and it's a series, I won't continue with the rest.

message 20: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Last night I finished Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

This book makes you think and re-evaluate your childhood, your relationships, your work, your friends. The insight of how introverts and extroverts behave, how this is explained biologically, how we can adapt and should adapt (especially school systems and work places, but also how to communicate with your friends and family) is astonishing. I can now explain my own behaviour at times when I feel like I should want to do something else than what I am doing or of how I perceive new people when I meet them. I am definitely taking something with me from this book.

It took me some time to finish it. It's definitely not something you read all at once. It makes you think about how you behave, how others around you behave. It explains situations in your life when you might have been confused how certain things unfolded. It explains how you are who you are. A very interesting read.

message 21: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments And with it I finish my first continent - Africa!

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Yay!!!

message 23: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments And another one is done - New Zealand, by finishing National Geographic Traveler: New Zealand.

I am going to New Zealand in a few months and I bought this guide to learn more about the country, the culture and what to experience there. I found it great. The book is split in regions and the reader gets some interesting facts about the area and history and recommendations about sights, highlights and activities. I wish I could do everything! I liked that the reading flows and you get a picture of the feeling visiting New Zealand leaves you with. Some people prefer guides which dryly list all possible information you might need about all possible places to visit, but this is more my style - a guide and a book at the same time with interesting highlights.

message 24: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments 3 more books to go! They are all chunksters, but I should manage in the next 3 months :)

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Kirila wrote: "And another one is done - New Zealand, by finishing National Geographic Traveler: New Zealand.

I am going to New Zealand in a few months and I bought this guide to learn more about ..."

I read a similar book about Australia last year. It is nice to see the country side and see and become familiar with the city names. I hope you have a great time there!

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Three books to go! I am cheering you on! I have a few chunksters coming up too. I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of us that they will be good reads!

message 27: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Cherie wrote: "I read a similar book about Australia last year."

Which book was it?

message 28: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Cherie wrote: "Three books to go! I am cheering you on! I have a few chunksters coming up too. I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of us that they will be good reads!"

Good luck to you, too!

message 29: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Finished Outlander.

Before I started this book, I had heard there is some time traveling, history and romance. Not that much of time traveling. And until the very end, nobody even thought of discussing it, think about the consequences or any theories. And not much becomes clear, but I hope that changes with the next books. The story was set in 18th century Scotland. The descriptions and accents were very authentic (even though I have no idea how the Scottish accent was in those times, but it looked authentic). I could visualize everything. And I loved it. The story came to life and even though not that much happened, at least in the first half, except traveling back and forth, I really enjoyed following it. The part that was a bit too much for me were the vivid sex scenes. I am not used to reading those type of novels, so those scenes came as a surprise. Overall I was pulled in Claire's adventure and the book went by fast despite the amount of pages. I am definitely looking forward to the next books in the series.

message 30: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Kirila wrote: "Finished Outlander.

Before I started this book, I had heard there is some time traveling, history and romance. Not that much of time traveling. And until the very end, nobody even tho..."

I read this for the challenge too... Not something I would read normally. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much... I loved it despite the 'sloppy slush' (as my daughter used to say) and the vivid scenes you mention ; )

As you say, the world was painted so vividly.

message 31: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I read The Name of the Wind. I had heard a lot about this book and the expectations were very high when I started reading. It did not disappoint. Rothfuss creates an intricate, mystic world. The book made me cry at times (view spoiler) and overall has a dark mood.

I really enjoyed following Kvothe's relationships - with his family, his teacher, his lute, his friends, Denna. All these surrounding stories build the character indirectly and let the reader make his own conclusions. There was only one thing that bothered me. Sometimes Kvothe acts irrationally and naive and this surprised me, knowing what he has been through and what he knows.
(view spoiler)

When I started the book, I didn't know that the story is not complete. Kvothe, the main character, tells his story for three days. Each book covers a day. And the third book is not even out yet!!! I hope it is published soon. Now I need to go buy/order the second one :)

message 32: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments With that I have only one book left :) I started The Black Tulip, which is a short one, so I should be done soon. Unfortunately, no time for another 2 continents.

message 33: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Finished! I am on the train (great opportunity to read) so I will update my post later and request a badge. But I am finished with 4 continents! Yey!

message 34: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I have always liked Duma and The Black Tulip is no exception. It's only shorter than the usual. The novel takes place in 17th century Netherlands. I have to admit I knew absolutely nothing about that period. The novel is historical fiction in a sense that some historical events are presented and the main story is linked to them. But the novel is more about love. Love between people and love towards tulips. At first I thought that I might not enjoy it as much as The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers because it wasn't as adventurous. But I still enjoyed it. And now I want to go to the Netherlands (again, but I have only been to Amsterdam) and go look at tulips :)

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Kirila wrote: "Finished! I am on the train (great opportunity to read) so I will update my post later and request a badge. But I am finished with 4 continents! Yey!"

Awesome!

message 36: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Looking back at the books I read, I had some great reads! Most of them are 4 and 5 stars :) And they all have different genres and settings. It was definitely a great challenge for diversity of books to read!

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Kirila wrote: "Looking back at the books I read, I had some great reads! Most of them are 4 and 5 stars :) And they all have different genres and settings. It was definitely a great challenge for diversity of boo..."

I noticed over the years that sometimes, a challenge can tend to be a bit restrictive in what type of genre fits it. So, I had tried to arrange this challenge so that there would be the opportunity to read different genres.

message 38: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Janice, this challenge definitely achieved this! It was a great one, gave us a lot of freedom, but at the same time encourages us to read different books and not focus on a favourite type

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it Kirila. :)