Amazon Editors' YA Book Club discussion

December 2015 > The Wrath and the Dawn

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seira (new)

Seira Wilson | 92 comments Mod
Here it is--our December book pick. I will admit I've already read this and LOVED it. I can still picture so many moments in my mind. Looking forward to hearing what others think!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments I've read this too, but enjoyed it so much. I'll also be interested in what others have to say.

message 3: by Seira (new)

Has anyone else read this yet? The author, Renée Ahdieh, has agreed to answer book club member questions (yay!). I'll add a topic for that, please add your Q's by 12/18 and I'll post the answers at the end of the month.

message 4: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments I just finished. What a book! It took me awhile to get into it. There were some open-ended questions in the beginning that drove me mad. Frankly, if I hadn't read the cover copy and understood what the book was about, I might have put it back down. SO GLAD I DIDN'T. I won't say anything else until others have finished. Can't wait to discuss it later!

message 5: by Yan (new)

Yan | 14 comments I'm at about 80%... struggling to finish it...oh my...

message 6: by Silje Bell (new)

Silje Bell Børresen (siljebell) | 3 comments Absolutely loved this book. It's pure perfection.

message 7: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (brebooklover) Just finished this book during my lunch. I loved this book. I was a nice change of scenery for me. I have read to many books that take place in the Middle East yet. I enjoyed the imagery in this as well.
I also enjoyed the relationships between characters. None of them were perfect. All the characters had flaws. I was also thrilled because there wasn't teenage angst in this. I appreciated that so much.
I was hoping to see more of Shazi's talent with the bow in this book. Hopefully in book 2 it will come out.

message 8: by Seira (new)

For me the atmosphere was so compelling--I thought the author did a great job describing the physical elements of the story. I feel like I can still see the tray of fruit and honey from the first night or the necklace Shazi refused to wear...

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I'm still reading the book. I needed to remember more about Arabian Nights and found good info at Wikipedia.

message 10: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm still reading the book. I needed to remember more about Arabian Nights and found good info at Wikipedia."

I was thinking the same thing about Arabian Nights. It would be fun to do a little "compare and contrast." I loved how the romance developed between Shazi and Khalid. Perfection! Wonderful writing, too. Such great description.

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen It's a fairy tale...
It's a thriller...
Oh, no, it's a romance!

I was intrigued with the unexpected directions Ahdieh takes with the framework of Arabian Nights.

And I appreciated that the bedroom scenes between the Caliph and Shahrzed were written with a sensitivity that makes me comfortable recommending the book to my young teen granddaughters.

I put part 2, The Rose and the Dagger on my "to read" list.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen There are three short The Wrath snd the Dawn stories coming out in the next few months. Two are free. I just preordered them. The third is $1.99.

message 13: by Kalea (new)

Kalea | 9 comments Kathleen wrote: "There are three short The Wrath snd the Dawn stories coming out in the next few months. Two are free. I just preordered them. The third is $1.99."

Oh, sweet! Where would I get those?

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Kristin wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "There are three short The Wrath snd the Dawn stories coming out in the next few months. Two are free. I just preordered them. The third is $1.99."

Oh, sweet! Where would I get those?"

Sorry, I should have been specific. They are kindle books which I found at Amazon.com.

message 15: by Kalea (new)

Kalea | 9 comments Kathleen wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "There are three short The Wrath snd the Dawn stories coming out in the next few months. Two are free. I just preordered them. The third is $1.99."

Oh, sweet! Where..."

Got it! Thanks for sharing ^_^