ACIM: Listen, Learn and Act discussion

Idividual Identity

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelanadine (new)

Angelanadine | 17 comments A general point that I have been trying to wrap my mind around:

The person that I perceive myself to be, am I an individual with my own thoughts and attributes that will remain an individual creation even beyond this body? Or do I return to a whole entity with no separate attributes anymore?

To put this perhaps more basically: I'm a bowl of soup from an entire pot of soup. Do I return to the pot of soup and essentially become dissolved in it after I leave my body, or do I return to the pot in my own little soup bowl?

I have not found any reference to this in the book, but have not read that far, and perhaps it is not covered. Thought I would pose the question anyhow, comments appreciated!

message 2: by Ramon, Co Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:49PM) (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Well Nadine, it's probably not the answer you would expect, but here it goes.

Because the body is an illusion of the mind, you do not actually leave the body - as you are not really in the body in the first place. The body, and in fact, everything you perceive, is an illusion (the soup, the bowl and the pot).

It's covered in the book. For instance:

A Course in Miracles states: Ultimately, space is as meaningless as time. Both are merely beliefs. T-1.VI.3.

From this statement alone we can say - since we believe that our bodies occupy space and space is merely a belief, then the body likewise must also be a belief.

What your really asking is, what are we. We are the image and likeness of God. And since God is Spirit, then we, being the image and likeness of God, are also Spirit.

A Course in Miracles states: The undivided will of the Sonship is the perfect creator, being wholly in the likeness of God, Whose Will it is. You cannot be exempt from it if you are to understand what it is and what you are. By the belief that your will is separate from mine, you are exempting yourself from the Will of God which is yourself. Yet to heal is still to make whole. Therefore, to heal is to unite with those who are like you, because perceiving this likeness is to recognize the Father. If your perfection is in Him and only in Him, how can you know it without recognizing Him? The recognition of God is the recognition of yourself. There is no separation of God and His creation. You will realize this when you understand that there is no separation between your will and mine. Let the Love of God shine upon you by your acceptance of me. My reality is yours and His. By joining your mind with mine you are signifying your awareness that the Will of God is One. T-8.V.2.

If you would like, I could find and provide you with Bible verses that express the same thing.

Why can't we understand that? Because we are perceiving from a worldly view and not from a spiritual view. I'm surprised that I still believe that I have hair on my head cause it took me some time (which isn't real either) for me to understand this.

We will work together to understand all that we need to understand.

message 3: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
Ramno, can you tell me what chapter this is in?

Thank you.

message 4: by Angelanadine (new)

Angelanadine | 17 comments Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the reply. I pondered this a little while I slept on it, but still don't fully understand.

So yes, what was said, our body being an illusion, yes. To put this into a different example, are we then like leaves on a tree, all part of one big tree (god) but under the illusion that we are each separate and our own individual trees? The body is meant to be a teaching vessle, yes? When our body no longer serves that purpose, do we then realize we were always a leaf on that big tree again, forever connected? Are we individual leaves at all, ever? Or is all sense of individuality an illusion in the first place, one that we only hold on to in this dimension?

Thanks

message 5: by Ramon, Co Moderator (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Response to your question - can you tell me what chapter this is in?

(T-1.VI.3) - T-1 means: Chapter 1, THE MEANING OF MIRACLES

(T-1.VI.3) - VI means: Subsection VI, The Illusion of Needs

(T-1.VI.3) - 3 means the third paragraph in that subsection.

(T-8.V.2) - T-8 means: Chapter 8, THE JOURNEY BACK

(T-8.V.2) - V means: Subsection V, The Undivided Will of the Sonship

(T-8.V.2) - 2 means: the second paragraph in that subsection.

message 6: by Ramon, Co Moderator (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Angelanadine wrote: "Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the reply. I pondered this a little while I slept on it, but still don't fully understand.

So yes, what was said, our body being an illusion, yes. To put this into a differen..."

You are still perceiving in terms of space. Take the concept of space out of the equation. Then ask yourself - What do you have left when there is no space?

And, in terms of time - take the concept of time out of the equation. Then ask yourself - What do I have left when there is no time?

Space limits.

Time limits.

You, as a spiritual being, have no limits.

message 7: by Angelanadine (new)

Angelanadine | 17 comments I am beginning to understand this concept slowly as I am getting further into the book, this is making more sense.

message 8: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
Angelanadine wrote: "A general point that I have been trying to wrap my mind around:

The person that I perceive myself to be, am I an individual with my own thoughts and attributes that will remain an individual crea..."

I think that from the pot of soup, you are ladled out to either be eaten by your ego, or consumed with appreciation and the opportunity to move through your body appreciatively and a sense of the nourishment (in this instance it would be growth), that would make you healthier (again, in this instance) in soul and mind set.